Sponsored

(Review): Quake LED JL Headlights and Fog Lights in Sport JLU

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
Quake LED Headlights and Fog Light install in 2018 Jeep JL Sport I received my Quake LED headlights and fog lights after a long wait. I ordered them about 3 weeks ago and got a call saying there would be a delay for a week. So I was a little perturbed but glad I got a call. I was happy when I got them cause i knew I wasn’t scammed. They are 10 times brighter than the stock halogens and they have crazy cool “RGB” lights I didn’t even know about when I ordered. I stayed up installing them longer than I thought it would take, but I took lots of pictures so I would not forget were everything went. I wasn't planning on posting the install, but I am, so sorry the pix suck. This is what I got when I opened up the boxes.

#2.jpeg

#1.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kellerellek

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
The grill is just held in on top with 6 body clips. Just pop the center up with a flathead screwdriver. Pull on the bottom of the grill towards the front of the bumper to pop the bottom 6 clips out of the body. This took a while I thought I was going to brake it. Then remove the 3 headlights bolts with a 10 mm socket. I ordered these because the stock headlights were pathetic.

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

OP
OP
Kellerellek

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
I decided to wire up the RGB lights and the turn signals after reading a little on them. It took an hour or two, but I’m glad I did it! The turn signals in the headlight have to be t-ed into the fender turn signal wiring. The inner fender is riveted on the sides and screwed in the middle. You can take out (2) 7mm and (1) 10mm screws to access the wires for the turn signals. You only have to tap into the white wire with the green stripe on both sides. Next I did the RGB controller. It is just a power and a ground. I just wired them to the battery. Hindsight I wish I would have wired them to an accessory fuse, which I will do later, so they just come on when I turn my key. The kit came with a 4 to 1 splitter to connect the RGBs to headlights and fogs. This splitter that connects the lights to the controller is easy to connect with arrows guiding the direction that the plugs go into each other. They also have rubber bushings that make them waterproof.

IMG_2431.JPG

#4.jpg

#3.jpg

OP
OP
Kellerellek

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
I installed the fog lights next. There are these plastic caps with (7) 7mm screws on each side. I ended up taking the bumper off to make it easier to access them. I own very few tools. It only had (4) 18 mm nuts holding it on. The instructions said remove the (4) T15 torx fog light screws but mine only had (3) and looked different. I called Quake and they told me I had one of (3) styles of fog lights offered in JL and they said there should have been some hardware adaptors, but I didn’t get those in the box. I wasn’t thrilled about this because it meant I could not finish that night, but they said they would overnight them to me. The adapters came quickly, and I was able to finish the install. Since the controller was already installed all I did was connect the RGB wires to the lights arrow to arrow and they were good to go!

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.29.02 PM.png

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
The colors are cool but can you post photos of the headlights during the day? I'd like to see how they sit in the grill. Also, is there a nice beam cut off at night that you can show? much appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kellerellek

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
After it was all said and done it took longer to install than I thought but overall was pretty easy. The time it took to get them was a bit annoying, but their customer service as well as the quality of their product is good. I felt they were seriously sorry for all the parts not being there and did what they could to make it right fast. I am so happy I made the upgrade to Quake's lights, they are so much brighter and look so much better than the VW Bug looking stock lights. Now I can see at night and can annoy my neighbors with my party lights ! I would give Quake 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

Haven't done this before, but hope this information might be helpful to some. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

#5.jpg

OP
OP
Kellerellek

Kellerellek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl
The colors are cool but can you post photos of the headlights during the day? I'd like to see how they sit in the grill. Also, is there a nice beam cut off at night that you can show? much appreciated.
Here are photos of how it sits in the grill. Probably should have posted this to begin with. There is a nice cutoff beam at night, the best photo I have in my garage. I will try to shoot some at night later.

IMG_2365.JPG

#7.jpg

#8.jpg

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Here are photos of how it sits in the grill. Probably should have posted this to begin with. There is a nice cutoff beam at night, the best photo I have in my garage. I will try to shoot some at night later.

IMG_2365.JPG

#7.jpg

#8.jpg
Thanks for your quick reply! Looking forward to more of your photos and thoughts on the lights. They look good.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are DOT compliant. This is a close up of the chrome version still in R&D.

dot JL.jpg
Is it possible to see a pic with the headlight off in daytime? I’d like to see if it’s flush in the grill housing.