I'm a little disappointed in the reveal event

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I wish they would have had all versions of the JL and JLU. I really want to see a Sport JLU without all the overpriced Mopar crap on them.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I watched it on youtube. I don't remember him mentioning backup camera or side airbags as standard equipment in all trims.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Backup cameras are required in all 2018+ cars.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Backup cameras are required in all 2018+ cars.
Right, but it's not even an option on the 2018 JK is it? Just seems like something worth mentioning along with side airbags during a press launch. Soccer moms want to know.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Best thing about the reveal was the compiled random pictures of Jeep tattoos on people’s bodies.

Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Rubicon
The JL was done an injustice for this reveal. The low energy non-'Murica speaker and strange choice in music just wasn't working for me.

I think the speaker smirked because that 2-door Rubicon kept going until it hit the stops on the end of the ramp...wasn't very elegant...that's my take on it.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what you get for revealing it in low-energy L.A. instead of SEMA or Detroit , wrong crowd, wrong energy level, and targeted at PR & Press folks, not Enthusiasts.

Definitely coulda used twice the time and thrice the energy-level.

Compared to other Detroit/NAIAS unveilings of the Wrangler, this was like a quarterly report shareholder meeting.
The whole thing is rather oddly timed, they run the media review in New Zealand? That must have cost a lot to get the people and Jeeps down there.

And LA? I don't recall us ever sending someone to LA to cover that auto show, but Detroit, everyone used to cover that when newspapers had in house Wheels/Auto sections. Makes me a bit curious as to what they will do there.

Even SEMA would have been a lot better as you say due to the huge aftermarket for Jeep parts and accessories though it's great to see the feedback on here.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Love the new JL and can't wait to order a 2Dr Rubicon.

The reveal was a missed opportunity but it won't hurt sales.

That said, they could have followed Apple's model in a few ways:
- Mark Allen should have been on 2nd and gone into the design like he did in a few of the videos we saw
- Then an engineer could have come on to walk thru technical/performance highlights.
- Right after the event ended the website should have had the configure, build feature and pricing live. I can't believe they don't have pricing when the have been working so long on the redesign....
- And then maybe bring a Mopar person out to review all this new stuff
- And they need to hire someone to review everything for consistency. The options and features have too many errors (Rubicon pics with regular not hi line fenders, lots of uncertainty with feature/options for models).

And I agree wrong venue/crowd.....

But I still can't wait to order and drive my new JL.
Sort of like Musk introducing the Tesla Truck? ;)

Thankfully Jeep has this site to bring together all the information that those of us who are seriously considering buying a JL can get at. Otherwise back in the pre-internet days I'd be anxiously awaiting the release of wire stories and magazine coverage.

But I'm pretty much set on ordering up a JL 2 Door, just have to figure out if I want to do up a Sport or get one prepackaged as a Rubicon and whether I change my mind on the hardtop though the 2 door does not have the sort of hardtop folding roof option. Granted if Jeep had done up the hardtop with the removable rear windows from the other option I would go with that in a heartbeat.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mark Allen kind of sold me on the soft top or dual top option with the ease of dropping the soft top although the rear windows were already removed in that walk around video. Wonder how much more time is needed to remove all the windows first.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Manly is a good dude, but they could have done better. On the other hand, Jeep is more about function than form, so who cares, as long as they get the machine right. Looks to me like they did.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
1) these are the biggest missed opportunities in the world. They almost al suck. I don’t get if engineers run it or they don’t have advertising and pr people or what.

2) when introducing an American icon as an American icon have an American introduce it. This isn’t pure nationalism. This is good sense. You wouldn’t have my country ass introduce BMW. We shouldn’t have Pepe Le Pu introducing jeep.

3) for those that think there was too much leaked you have to realize this board is full of jeep nuts. 99% of the world had no idea this was even happening. It was all new to everyone else

4) are they mandated a time limit? These guys built this thing and run out of shit to say in ten minutes. I could talk for four hours without breathing about jeeps. Come on fellas.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Are people here not aware of who the guy with the accent actually was? Mike Manley, head of Jeep. CEO. lol
lol for real. I was like "non-American dude speaking"?!!? Seriously.
Sponsored