Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
'

On the later JK's I've found that without programming for tire size the transmission would constantly "hunt" for the proper gear on the highway. I think some of the newer programmers even optimize transmission shift points(I haven't tried any of those variations on the JK)
I don't have too much experience on pre pentastar JK motor/transmissions, as the only ones that come in belong to customers.. Every JK I've owned & experimented on was a 2012+.

I purchase a M.O.R.E. mount, but I have too many projects going on and can't find the time to install it... I think it will be a priority when my wife and I plan our next offroad trip(Hopefully soon b/c the temperatures in Houston are already in the upper 90's.)
Thanks Chris. Yeah I never bought one because the shifting was never a problem.
Sponsored

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2018 Wrangler JLUs 2014 JKU - 2014 JK - 2012 JKU - 2006 LJ - 1997 TJ
Custom Printed @SPIDERWEBSHADE without the hardtop cutouts installed on my Rubicon today. Version with the cutouts will go on my wife's hardtop in the next few days.
Also installed the @CoolTech CB Mic & Antenna mount on my Rubicon yesterday. Hopefully I have the time to install the same setup on my wife's this weekend.
Custom Shade.jpg

20180523_142329_resized.jpg
20180523_181624_resized.jpg
That looks OUTSTANDING!!!

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Testing for clearances on my newly installed @ROAM rear long arm kit. The arms sure do tuck nicely given how long they are. With the High Steer kit, and the Raised rear track bar bracket the Jeep feels almost like stock(Rear seems to soak up bumps much better than it did with the "short arms") I can't wait until I have the time to finish up the front portion of the kit, if the rear is any indication of how the front will change I'm expecting a much better ride even with the skyjacker shocks. I should be getting a set of their Bypass shocks like my wife has in the near future, and if they improve my ride like they did hers I'm expecting the Jeep to ride like a luxury car :like:
Leg Lift.jpg

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Wife and I installed some lights on our @ROAM bumpers
She installed a single row 20" @Rough Country Suspensions Black Series light bar(I've had great luck with their lights in the past.)

I installed two cheapo side shooter LEDs to make sure I would like how they fit and how the light spread would be mounted on the bumper(Before I spend $$ on a set of Rigid LED's that may or may not work.)
Light output on both is outstanding, if mine hold up I may keep them rather than spend over 5x as much on the Rigid LED's.
20180609_184945_resized.jpg 20180609_185338_resized.jpg

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Chris, on the wife's Sport, did you put any quick disconnects on the sway bar, doing it manually, or not at all when you are wheeling?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Chris, on the wife's Sport, did you put any quick disconnects on the sway bar, doing it manually, or not at all when you are wheeling?
Manually for now. I always bring a tool kit with me when we go offroad. I disconnect the lower driver side and tie wrap it to the sway bar.
Once we are set on a lift height I will get some quick disconnects (hopefully there are more options at that point.)

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Installed most of the @RanchoShocks 2" lift kit on my my wife @TankGirl JLU.
My wife was having a little bit of an inferiority complex parked in the garage next to mine :lipssealed:.
The kit was intended for a Rubicon, so I was anticipating about 1" more of lift since the stock Sport springs are shorter than the Rubicon springs. I think it gave us 1"(Maybe a little more) over the RC 2.5" kit that was previously installed. The parts showed up at 6pm yesterday, and I was in such a rush I forgot to do the before/after measurements.
Very nice kit for the money! The progressive springs are very long and won't come unseated even with longer shocks. I didn't install the included Rancho shocks as I chose to keep the ROAM bypass shocks.
She & the kids will definitely be using those @ROAM steps to get into the JL now, hopefully the next request isn't for 37's otherwise she may need to carry around a step stool for our 3 year old.

AFTER Install of 2" Rancho Sport kit
DSC_0973.jpg

BEFORE Install with RC 2.5" kit
DSC_1073.jpg

DAVESJEEP

First Name
Dave!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTUR (Ordered), 2018 Porsche GT3
Hey Chris, do the ROAM sidesteps require removal of the stock Rubicon rails? Are they up to task as a rock rail? I know they're described as armor but wondering how they would hold up to sliding.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chris, do the ROAM sidesteps require removal of the stock Rubicon rails? Are they up to task as a rock rail? I know they're described as armor but wondering how they would hold up to sliding.
They mount in the same location as the Rubicon rails, so yes they would need to be removed. I'm waiting on another set for my Rubicon. When I get them I will submit them to the forklift test(lifting the jeep on the steps/rails with the forklift.) Speaking with the engineer he was confident that they would easily hold up to that test.

I would try that with my wifes JL, but if she notices the pictures on the forum I want to be sure I still have a place to sleep when I get home. :giggle:

DAVESJEEP

First Name
Dave!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTUR (Ordered), 2018 Porsche GT3
They mount in the same location as the Rubicon rails, so yes they would need to be removed. I'm waiting on another set for my Rubicon. When I get them I will submit them to the forklift test(lifting the jeep on the steps/rails with the forklift.) Speaking with the engineer he was confident that they would easily hold up to that test.

I would try that with my wifes JL, but if she notices the pictures on the forum I want to be sure I still have a place to sleep when I get home. :giggle:
Look forward to hearing about that. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Installed ARB Compressor with MORE mount. Had to drill a hole in the softop frame to use the forward mount hole, and drilled a hole in the upper portion so that I was able to secure the bolt with the factory Tor-x sockets. The MORE mount is a very nice part, just wish they would hide the wiring/terminals for the outter portion of the switch with some sort of a cover. I will figure something out for this in the near future.

No rain in the next few days so I decided to get naked as well :rock:
20180626_181729_resized.jpg
20180626_184710_resized.jpg

DSC_0990.JPG

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Finally had time to finish up my @ROAM long arm kit. In the pictures you can see their high steer kit up front and trackbar bracket in the rear. Very impressed with the quality of their products. Having just finished it I didn't have much time to dial in the alignment, but a quick trip around the block and I immediately noticed a drastic improvement to ride quality and handing!
I think once I install their Bypass shocks or Coilovers this thing will ride better than my Fathers S500 with factory air suspension :fingerscrossed:(Even with the E-Rated tires!)
I also attached a picture of the factory/ROAM arms to show the difference in length. The red dots in the pictures show the rod ends of the front/rear lower control arms.
long arm air rear.jpg
long arm air.jpg
long arm in shop.jpg
Long Arm1.jpg

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Hi Chris, love your rig! Someday I will upgrade to a 3.5 inch lift. I need to install my Cobra 75. Do you have a write up on how you installed it, how you ran the wires and where you connected the power and ground wires? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Are the long arms bolt on or weld on? I really like the ROAM products, truly, but their really need to get their website in order so there is quality information available on there. Rig is looking great.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris, love your rig! Someday I will upgrade to a 3.5 inch lift. I need to install my Cobra 75. Do you have a write up on how you installed it, how you ran the wires and where you connected the power and ground wires? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Thanks!
If you pull off the passenger side footwell panel(Where the door strap/wires go) there are a few ground posts there. As for the power I just stuck a coat hanger through the rubber grommet where all the other wires go through and then pulled the wire through with it and then went to the battery. Here is a picture of when I wired the trigger wire for my wifes ROAM steps, but same idea. Second picture is from the outside looking up. You can easily push the fender liner out a little and see all the way up there with a light.

18-0.jpg
18.jpg

Are the long arms bolt on or weld on? I really like the ROAM products, truly, but their really need to get their website in order so there is quality information available on there. Rig is looking great.
Thanks!

The arms on the high clearance kit are a mix of both bolt/weld in. They have a variation that is 100% bolt on, but sacrifices ground clearance to clear the factory mounts. The Front/Rear on the higher clearance kit I received are still supposed to work with factory height bumpstops, but do require cutting off the factory mounts and welding new front uppers in place. The front Lowers mount to a new factory transmission crossmember. The rears I have only bolted on for the moment, but I will end up welding the brackets in place when I have another free weekend(Probably not necessary, but I trust welds more than bolts.)

I agree their site needs some work, but their products are really well thought out and nice quality if you get to handle them in person. I think they are more focused on engineering/getting their products right before they work on perfecting the site. I actually prefer that as an end user, but maybe they should have left some of the products off until they were 100% ready to go.
Sponsored