Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Installation guide for that KC rack is telling. The rack connects to the hardtop via rivnuts. Its basically cosmetic rack for mounting lights. There is no support from the vehicle. From a load perspective, its no different than laying someting directly on the hardtop. Yawn.
That's no bueno!
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
JLYaker: The factory location for the sat antenna is on the passenger side, correct? If so, why did you move it diagonally over to the driver's side? What did you use to get a long enough extension?

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I thought the install was really straightforward with good instructions (attached). I did relocate the satellite antenna just above the driver's side sun visor immediately to the left of the freedom top latch. See photo.

IMG_0756.jpg
This is great and I just realized that an install might be hard if I've already put in hothead headliners. ( I have) They attach via super strong adhesive and have no idea how to take them off or account for the brackets without making it look terrible. Grrrr.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Installation guide for that KC rack is telling. The rack connects to the hardtop via rivnuts. Its basically cosmetic rack for mounting lights. There is no support from the vehicle. From a load perspective, its no different than laying someting directly on the hardtop. Yawn.
Doesnt it have two mounts directly to the roll bars? The load rating is 300lbs dynamic...

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
*** We will all update this main post with links as JL roof rack aftermarket options become available ***

If you see any JL specific rack/basket setups available, please post them here. Community members will keep the main post updated as posts are made.

Also, if you know of an estimated release date from a specific roof rack company, post it up.

Thanks

Available Now

- Gobi Stealth Rack
- KC KC HiLiTES KC M-RACKS
- Maximus 3 Short
- Maximus 3 Long
- Mopar Rails
- Rhino Rack Rails

Confirmed / Not Yet Released
- Ace Engineering (No date given)
- Body Armor 4x4 (July 2018)
- Fab Fours (Will not be making a JL rack)
- Garvin Wildreness (No date given)
- JCR Offroad (No date given)
- Lange Originals (No date given)
- LOD Offroad (Spring 2018)
- MBRP (No date given)
- Smittybilt (No date given)
- Surco Safari (Spring/Summer 2018)
- Teraflex (No date given)
- Trail FX (working version comparable to their JK rack ... no date given)
- Warrior Products (Spring 2018)
- Front Runner ('Available next year')

Have not responded to emails
- ARB
- Kargo Master Safari

- Off Camber Productions
- Olympic 4x4
- VPR4x4
Said in jest: I'd like to add my DIY no holes roof rack, available today https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

BrianB

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
I thought the install was really straightforward with good instructions (attached). I did relocate the satellite antenna just above the driver's side sun visor immediately to the left of the freedom top latch. See photo.

IMG_0756.jpg
This is very helpful. Thanks for posting the instructions!

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S

IMG_0756.jpg
Maximus-3 website says "The hardtop can be removed without having to dismantle the roof rack/platform". Based on your photos, I dont see how that is possible. Thoughts?

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Maximus-3 website says "The hardtop can be removed without having to dismantle the roof rack/platform". Based on your photos, I dont see how that is possible. Thoughts?
Think of it as a two piece bracket. There is a bracket bolted to the roof and a bracket bolted to the roll bar. These two brackets bolt together and this point where they bolt together is where you separate the two to take the top off. You just undo the two bolts that connect the bracket on the roof to the bracket on the roll bar. On the back two brackets this is a bolt and nut. On the front brackets it’s just a bolt...the nut is welded onto the bracket.

Sponsored

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Installed the Maximus-3 yesterday. As stated earlier it is straightforward and the instructions are pretty good. I was missing a couple of bolts from the kit. I had to call around to some friends to find someone with a metric tape measure as everything is in millimeters and the conversion to inches is more of a pain in the butt than its worth. The moment of truth when you put the drill to the hardtop is worrisome because the lateral measurements are less than exact as you measure from the top of a rounded ridge. It came out fine though - the inner and exterior brackets weren't in perfect alignment but the setup allows for a tiny bit of a fudge factor. Took me and a friend about 5 hours to install working slowly.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Installed the Maximus-3 yesterday. As stated earlier it is straightforward and the instructions are pretty good. I was missing a couple of bolts from the kit. I had to call around to some friends to find someone with a metric tape measure as everything is in millimeters and the conversion to inches is more of a pain in the butt than its worth. The moment of truth when you put the drill to the hardtop is worrisome because the lateral measurements are less than exact as you measure from the top of a rounded ridge. It came out fine though - the inner and exterior brackets weren't in perfect alignment but the setup allows for a tiny bit of a fudge factor. Took me and a friend about 5 hours to install working slowly.
You have the dual top? Will the brackets interfere with putting on the soft top?

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I don't have dual top. I did see when doing the install that Ill need to remove two sound bar trim pieces to get at the bolts to uncouple when removing the top.

The Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
Any rack suggestions for a hard top JLU to run a CVT or Tepui tent on top of it?

After some light research it appears that none of the top mount rack will be able to carry the additional load of a tent setup.

So that being said is the Gobi the only option right now?
My limited research indicates the Maximus has a high enough static load rating (600lbs) to use any RTT on the market. You have to drill holes in the roof and attach mounting hardware to the roll bar. I personally am on the fence between the Gobi and the Maximus. The Body Armor one looks good to me and is due to be released soon.

The Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
I’m going to get the backbone from rhino, and run a tepui. I don’t like the bulk look of the Gobi. Little too safari looking for me personally, but everyone who has them loves them. Aesthetically I just can’t handle it
The Backbone system is not available for the JL yet I thought?
Sponsored