Center console removal/takedown?

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Lol I know, but I'm a wimp. I don't wanna break anything, especially being that it is so new. Hopefully the console comes far enough apart that you and I can both fix the parking brake issue (assuming that is what you were talking about previously).
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Any pics of the progress? Were you able to tighten the parking brake cable? I really want to try lol.
OK, just got done. No pics but it's very easy. You will need:
10mm socket
Thin small screw driver or butter knife
Vice Grips
Needle Nose Pliers

Disconnect the cables from the rear drums.
At the front of the console pop the little circle covers and remove the 10mm bolts.
Put both seats all the way forward, pop the rectangular covers in the rear and remove the 10mm bolts.
Lift up on the console, you will need to jiggle, lift forward, pull up, etc.
Once it is loose look up under it from the driver's side rear and you will see the cradle where the two parking brake cables connect into.
Reconnect them.
Connect brake cable at the rear tire. This will be easy.
The second one requires you to clamp the vice grip ON THE METAL END OF THE CABLE right at the wheel. DO NOT clamp the cable it's self or you can damage it.
Use the needle nose pliers to pull the tab the cable hooks into out as far as it can and hold it steady.
Using the vice grips pull the cable and hook it into the tab. It doesn't require a ton of force and you will see the opposite cable give a little to allow this to happen.
There is no need for any adjustments, nothing changed it just got disconnected.

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
OK, just got done. No pics but it's very easy. You will need:
10mm socket
Thin small screw driver or butter knife
Vice Grips
Needle Nose Pliers

Disconnect the cables from the rear drums.
At the front of the console pop the little circle covers and remove the 10mm bolts.
Put both seats all the way forward, pop the rectangular covers in the rear and remove the 10mm bolts.
Lift up on the console, you will need to jiggle, lift forward, pull up, etc.
Once it is loose look up under it from the driver's side rear and you will see the cradle where the two parking brake cables connect into.
Reconnect them.
Connect brake cable at the rear tire. This will be easy.
The second one requires you to clamp the vice grip ON THE METAL END OF THE CABLE right at the wheel. DO NOT clamp the cable it's self or you can damage it.
Use the needle nose pliers to pull the tab the cable hooks into out as far as it can and hold it steady.
Using the vice grips pull the cable and hook it into the tab. It doesn't require a ton of force and you will see the opposite cable give a little to allow this to happen.
There is no need for any adjustments, nothing changed it just got disconnected.
Hi i installed a lift kit and hand brake relocation braket and after done i was moving my jeep and when i put it in reverse it won’t move right away it takes like 2 seconds and then it release, i’m thinking maybe brakes? Or hand brakes? Not releasing all the way ? I lookes at the hand brake handle and it was loose a little bit so i took crnter console off and tighten the bolt and now it feels normal but i still have the probleme . Any idea guys?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi i installed a lift kit and hand brake relocation braket and after done i was moving my jeep and when i put it in reverse it won’t move right away it takes like 2 seconds and then it release, i’m thinking maybe brakes? Or hand brakes? Not releasing all the way ? I lookes at the hand brake handle and it was loose a little bit so i took crnter console off and tighten the bolt and now it feels normal but i still have the probleme . Any idea guys?
You've got a lot going on. How much of a lift? The reason I ask is I am assuming by "brake relocation bracket" you mean you moved the brake lines? Or do you mean you added some other re-location bracket for the parking brake.
Check where the parking brake cables connect into the locations at each rear wheel caliper. Make sure they are properly hooked in. You shouldn't have needed to adjust any of the bolts I would think. I've never heard of a brake relocation bracket but I only have a 2" lift.

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
You've got a lot going on. How much of a lift? The reason I ask is I am assuming by "brake relocation bracket" you mean you moved the brake lines? Or do you mean you added some other re-location bracket for the parking brake.
Check where the parking brake cables connect into the locations at each rear wheel caliper. Make sure they are properly hooked in. You shouldn't have needed to adjust any of the bolts I would think. I've never heard of a brake relocation bracket but I only have a 2" lift.
It’s hand brake relocation bracket , 3.5 inch lift , because the hand brake lines runs over the cross member so you just move them below it , i disconnect the hand brakes line from the axles right now and i still have that catching problem , maybe the brakes? And btw i didn’t do anything to the brakes , only hand brake relocation bracket

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm... if you have the hand brake completely disengaged from the rear axle I'd say that it is not PHYSICALLY holding the brakes. BUT I believe there is a switch up by the parking brake handle that will tell the Jeep when the brake is on so it can beep at you when you start driving. However that should have no effect on holding the vehicle still.
I know that when we put ours in reverse it takes a second for the transmission to allow it to move. It's been like that since day one.

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Hmmmm... if you have the hand brake completely disengaged from the rear axle I'd say that it is not PHYSICALLY holding the brakes. BUT I believe there is a switch up by the parking brake handle that will tell the Jeep when the brake is on so it can beep at you when you start driving. However that should have no effect on holding the vehicle still.
I know that when we put ours in reverse it takes a second for the transmission to allow it to move. It's been like that since day one.
It’s doing it on both forward and backward , it’s very wierd man , i’m sure i didn’t damage any brake lines , i don’t know what happened when i lifted

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It’s doing it on both forward and backward , it’s very wierd man , i’m sure i didn’t damage any brake lines , i don’t know what happened when i lifted
Time for a trip to the dealer. Just make sure everything is in order underneath it. Let them know what is going on, I wouldn't mention it happened after your lift because it could be a coincidence. Just tell them what's wrong and if they ask about the lift be honest because IMO if you start lying to them they will know and just say screw it, it's your fault.

SgtSonnt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLRU

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gents - Not to change the subject, but I am looking to remove the console to gain access to the ambient lights in the cup holders and rear. Did any of you run across the electrical lines or lights when removing the console? I am hoping to cover all the lights with red tail light film like JeepDad here - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/floor-lights-ambient-lighting-color-mods.8428/. Thanks!
I only lifted the rear of the console just to get in enough to fix the cable and I didn't notice the wires.

Sponsored

SgtSonnt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLRU
I only lifted the rear of the console just to get in enough to fix the cable and I didn't notice the wires.
Thank you, mgroeger. I'll do my best to snap pictures when I do some investigating.

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I just want to remove the rear air vents. Just the part that spins. Do you have any advice?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
<iframe width="1006" height="566" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jCy6DSKH9K0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Well this one got my curiosity up :) Why?
I bought Lava jackets for my kids but the rear vents are smaller then the front ones. I need to create an adapter to have the jacket attachment fit to the vent.
Sponsored