Sponsored

Center console removal/takedown?

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Has anyone taken apart or removed the center console yet?

I'd like to adjust my parking brake cable but am a little leery of being the first to tear apart interior plastics.
Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
You sure they’re adjustable? The JKs’ weren’t. Had two mechanisms replaced and now the third is acting up.

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I'm not sure at all, but when I was installing my lift kit, I had to disconnect the parking brake cables from the rotors. When it came time to reattach them to the rotors, I couldn't so I ended up, stupidly, pushing the cables in towards the center of the Jeep to see if there was any extra slack. This likely caused the ends of the cables to come out of the socket holes in the center console.

When I lift the parking brake handle, it is completely loose and I hear rattling in there.

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
No not yet. I did remove all the carpet from the front and back seat footwells and it looks like some of the console can be removed easily. I will try finangling with it but I am still scared of snapping plastic bits.

Sponsored

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1986 YJ Brute (project!)
I pulled mine most of the way out. There are square plastic covers on the sides of the console. Pop the plugs and pull the 10mm bolt. pull up on the ebrake and you can lift the rear of the console about a foot or more. I hung the rear with a tie down strap over the roll bar.

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Any possible way y'all could post pictures of the takedown?

Sponsored

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Any pics of the progress? Were you able to tighten the parking brake cable? I really want to try lol.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what another guy said, it doesn't sound too difficult. It sounds like there are two 10mm bolts, one on each side, and once removed you can lift the center console...

I pulled mine most of the way out. There are square plastic covers on the sides of the console. Pop the plugs and pull the 10mm bolt. pull up on the ebrake and you can lift the rear of the console about a foot or more. I hung the rear with a tie down strap over the roll bar.
Sponsored