Sponsored

Painting headliner

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
It's just spray paint. I put on about 3-4 coats of the stuff. It actually looks really cool as the flakes of the composite material seem to shimmer in the right lighting with the black satin color that I chose. The total time also includes the driver and passenger freedom panels as well...
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Cool. After I get this next quote, that will probably high, I can foresee me doing this.....I was just thinking a bed liner product to add insulation and maybe make it more quiet as well. (for the record, I have no complaints about noise) Aesthetics will be awesome with anything!

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I have a premium soft top now, but if I had the hardtop like I did with my JK I would 100% use bed liner again. It looked awesome and held up very well. Good luck to all who do this, I think you will love it. Just take your time on preparing the surface to be sprayed.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Does the JL actually have a head liner or is he OP confused? Assuming the latter.
Terrahawk is that 40s on your JL ? i see where you took off the botttom peice of the fender off. did you use that bracket Artec is selling for about 129 ? it makes the fender strong and not floppy and then it also has a small led light for running and turn signals. its pretty cool idea. did you change the axles if so what does that run ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I painted mine black and couldn’t be happier with the results. I used Krylon Fusion (meant especially for plastic) only time will tell how it holds up, but I’m very confident that it will age just fine. Here are the before and after pics. I was a little late taking the before pic, but took one regardless. Total time from prep to finish was approximately 7 hours. It was fairy tedious, but overall I’m very happy. As to the adhesion issue with the hotheads liner (or similar product) I was recommended to leave those areas free of paint. There was some overspray, but I imagine after it’s sanded and wiped down with acetone there won’t be an issue.

A6640C1E-B9AA-4BDE-805D-F1103C7B03C4.jpeg

A7FA210E-0C83-4F26-A0F2-0E0D8DB232C8.jpeg
I guess i will see how loud it is when i get my JL.I mean we never worried about this all these years and now that jeep came out with a head liner for almost $500 telling us we have to have its to loud now after all these years. Now everyone is paying for these when they get their new JL or buying into it and getting the hot head ones. soft top dont have it and its ok and all these years over a decade and we were ok why now ? i think its just a selling point on jeep way to make more money. and its working because jeep is telling us we need it. i will wait i am ok for almost 6 yrs with JK so i will see. Great paint job there !

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Thanks. Good luck. I'd like to see if headliners are something I would want to have first. Let us know how this turns out for you.
we rattle caned my front grille in about 1 hr and it came out just find. so i would do that if i did anything at all
Sponsored