Sponsored

So in all honesty... would it be hard to adapt a JK bikini top for JL?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm not saying I'm a workshop genius or anything, but I did some mods on the Rubicon rock rails, and I'm feeling pretty antsy to try something else.

I know the JL is a bit wider than the JK and a good bit longer (though it's bikini, so that doesn't bother me much), but aside from that... does anyone see any large obstacles?

Obviously this is just a stop-gap measure for me in case I can't get my hands on an actual soft top this summer; I just want to have SOMETHING that will let me keep the hard top off and drive in light rain (I have a garage for overnight and downpours), but by no means am I trying to do this as a permanent thing.

What do you guys think? Would probably work? Might have to stretch some fabric or sew some extra material onto the sides to get full width coverage, but otherwise could work?
Sponsored

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Or, another idea: someone else mentioned buying a JL-fitted mesh top/shade and coating it in plasti dip to make it good enough for moderate rain protection.

norsky73

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Have you guys heard anything about ETA for a bikini for JL? I don't want to spring for a full soft top.

Bestop has the solution I am looking for with top and dust cover, only for the JK, not JL.

bes-90031.jpg

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@norsky73
No official word yet.

My strategy has now morphed to this: I'm going to plasti dip a JL mesh top I'm getting from JTops USA (I bought theirs because it's full coverage in terms of width, which is important if you want this to act like a bikini top to keep most of the rain out). I've heard plasti dipping the mesh into a solid, water-resistant barrier may not work due to wind getting under it and puffing it out like a marshmallow as you drive, but eh... for a fraction of the price of a full soft top and the off-chance it may actually work, I figure it's worth a shot. The shade hasn't come in yet, but when it does and I get a chance to try my experiment and drive around with it at varying speeds, I will post here to let people know how it goes.

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@norsky73
No official word yet.

My strategy has now morphed to this: I'm going to plasti dip a JL mesh top I'm getting from JTops USA (I bought theirs because it's full coverage in terms of width, which is important if you want this to act like a bikini top to keep most of the rain out). I've heard plasti dipping the mesh into a solid, water-resistant barrier may not work due to wind getting under it and puffing it out like a marshmallow as you drive, but eh... for a fraction of the price of a full soft top and the off-chance it may actually work, I figure it's worth a shot. The shade hasn't come in yet, but when it does and I get a chance to try my experiment and drive around with it at varying speeds, I will post here to let people know how it goes.

My guess is that after your first successful drive and post here, the top will then start shaking off the plastic dip into pieces all over.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Specifically which one did you buy? If you dont mind me asking.
I was struggling with figuring out which one to buy as well. Ended up getting the Bestop one which does not have the word cable in the description. I'll link to it in a little bit. I'm out and about right now

CU Tiger Paw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Granite Crystal
@norsky73
No official word yet.

Any update on how this worked out?
Sponsored