Prevent fading of black plastic parts?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
After owning several Jeeps with the "Rubbermaid" fenders and trim, here is my experience: Chemicals WILL fade your trim over time. This includes the chemicals listed here, automatic car washes, trim sprays from auto parts stores, etc. If you want your stuff to never fade, you need to follow the instructions in the owners manual and wash the Jeep ONLY with mild soap and water. Never any chemicals.

Once you start using chemicals to make the trim shine and look black, you will quickly find that you'll become dependent upon those chemicals to keep it looking nice as the natural color is stripped away.
Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
After owning several Jeeps with the "Rubbermaid" fenders and trim, here is my experience: Chemicals WILL fade your trim over time. This includes the chemicals listed here, automatic car washes, trim sprays from auto parts stores, etc. If you want your stuff to never fade, you need to follow the instructions in the owners manual and wash the Jeep ONLY with mild soap and water. Never any chemicals.

Once you start using chemicals to make the trim shine and look black, you will quickly find that you'll become dependent upon those chemicals to keep it looking nice as the natural color is stripped away.
This is what I am trying to decide. Seems to be two schools of thought. I haven't applied anything yet. I had a '15 JKU and over 3 years I never applied anything to the exterior or interior black parts. What I did was just wash the car and wipe interior with soap and water. It looked great 3 years later if you ask me. I also dont like shine. I just want it to look like it did the day it was bought for years to come.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
303. The best

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer

I’m not a plastics engineer but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a plastic out there that doesn’t fade with UV rays. Look at any Chevy Avalanche from the early 2000’s and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Similar to your skin, plastics, leather, paint, pretty much everything that sits outdoors needs some level of UV protection. This is why many recommend 303 as it protects the plastic from UV rays, so it doesn’t fade in the first place.

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Okay, so I'm digging up an old thread (didn't want anyone yelling "use the search"). ;) . Trying to figure out how to best protect the plastic stuff on my JL. I decided to order some of this.
Looks like it has some good reviews. This review seemed helpful. Anyone have experience with it?
I've used Trinova Aeronautical Protectant with good results so far, but it definitely need to be reapplied every month or so.

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Okay, so I'm digging up an old thread (didn't want anyone yelling "use the search"). ;) . Trying to figure out how to best protect the plastic stuff on my JL. I decided to order some of this.
Looks like it has some good reviews. This review seemed helpful. Anyone have experience with it?
I've used Trinova Aeronautical Protectant with good results so far, but it definitely need to be reapplied every month or so.
I actually did my fenders today believe it or not. Gave them a nice rich shine but not that armor all wet look. I like it a lot but we’ll see how it is over time. Very easy to do, one pad does one side of Jeep, front and rear fenders, mirror and handles.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Prevent fading of black plastic parts? AAE6D1A5-3E81-4D42-B29D-09095AC913DD
Sponsored