First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
@ZCashio, really great to meet you as well. Always fun to meet fellow forum members face-to-face. And happy to see the awning found a good home on that Rubicon of yours!

As for the glass hitting the awning…what is the impact of just slowly raising up the glass (preventing it from quickly flipping up), and letting it rest against the aluminum poles that extend out away from the awning? Maybe it puts too much upward pressure on it? I’m wondering if the two poles at the end of the awning are properly staked out, could the awning just “hold down” the rear glass window at that awning height?
Also, once the guy lines are secured it might not be a huge issue. Just something I’m considering since I need to drop it a bit lower.
Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@ZCashio I had a similar setup when I had the awning mounted. Glass window would not lift all the way because it hit the awning. See attached pic - showing a height similar to what you have now. Never had a problem. I just would gently lift the glass, and “rest” it in place as it touched the horizontally extended awning support poles. If you were to “let the glass window fly up” it could be problematic, but if you control it on the way up, both the glass, and the aluminum support poles are more than strong enough to handle the upward pressure. Even if you lower the awning height. Once guy lines and stakes were in, I never had any issues. Then again, I could be all wet!

I’m thinking (!) that you might be overthinking it. And I thought I was the only one who did that with my Jeep mods! ;)

Let us know how it turns out.

Also, @ZCashio I have the Air Lift air bags in my rear coil springs, and it made a world of difference. Best bang for the buck mod for anyone loading up their jeep, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on a lift kit. Do a little searching, and you’ll find some threads on those air bags. I’ve added some install tips to those threads as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker 08C4C8CB-F13A-4877-AC6C-D14DD4438184

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
@ZCashio I had a similar setup when I had the awning mounted. Glass window would not lift all the way because it hit the awning. See attached pic - showing a height similar to what you have now. Never had a problem. I just would gently lift the glass, and “rest” it in place as it touched the horizontally extended awning support poles. If you were to “let the glass window fly up” it could be problematic, but if you control it on the way up, both the glass, and the aluminum support poles are more than strong enough to handle the upward pressure. Even if you lower the awning height. Once guy lines and stakes were in, I never had any issues. Then again, I could be all wet!

I’m thinking (!) that you might be overthinking it. And I thought I was the only one who did that with my Jeep mods! ;)

Let us know how it turns out.

Also, @ZCashio I have the Air Lift air bags in my rear coil springs, and it made a world of difference. Best bang for the buck mod for anyone loading up their jeep, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on a lift kit. Do a little searching, and you’ll find some threads on those air bags. I’ve added some install tips to those threads as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker 08C4C8CB-F13A-4877-AC6C-D14DD4438184
I’m ALWAYS overthinking it. So yes, you are probably right. As for the helper bags, I just added a set last week for my setup. My RTT isn’t always mounted and no sense in me to add larger/HD springs when it’s not always there. I’m excited to mount the RTT soon and use the bags. I put the shrader valve through the license plate screw hole. So it’s really not noticeable at all. Install was super easy as well.

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
The boys wanted to fish the other day so used the Jeep to drive down to the lake and throw a few lines. No bites but we didn’t care, the weather was perfect.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker 5E73D301-4C26-4EA6-88E4-E30753A2C4AB
Then once we got home I gave it a wash and Ceramic Coated with Crystal Serum Light. Anxious to see how it turns out whenever it rains. Very smooth and glossy afterwards.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker A9B929C9-814C-48C2-9120-36EE561E3E9B

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
And very quickly the “clean” is gone. Decided to head to the Ouchita NF today and do some driving. Found a fun little trail with some mud holes and a little off camber sections. All in all a good day.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker ADA1F31B-FBDF-46FA-A66D-E1120DB85A42

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Since my wife’s job is to edit all of our wedding films and the trip happened just before wedding season and we have been slammed since February, naturally this video got pushed aside.. this was from our trip in February with friends on the High Water Mark Trail. We had a blast and so did the boys, although it was a tad bit too chilly.
Sponsored