ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
This thread makes me want to go wheelin'! 👍

Hoping to get to the San Juans in Colorado in September.
That's exactly when we went last year. Temps were awesome, clear skies all round, and running the trails all over the area was just great. Really had a great time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well the rain was horrible yesterday. Then the rain is terrible today and the next five days in a row shows much rain. The struggle is real.

Does it ever not rain in Northern Oregon or southern Washington? Think we will find an Airb&b for a few days and try and let this crazy weather blow over.

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 76C483E4-330E-48B9-86A7-C7315C253609

We drove on the beach this morning. The sand wat firm and damp. Cruised at forty to fifty mph for about 5 miles.

If you watch to the passenger side, I pass a bald eagle sitting on a post about 5 seconds in.

Then headed to Multnormah falls. East of Portland Oregon.

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 296A1CAF-469D-4EFA-B40C-260798857A69
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 1714F6A8-C8D0-4257-AFDF-B46A8A6A1CDF

Over 18,,000 miles on this adventure so far and still about 10,000 or so miles to go. Thinking I will pull into home on slicks for tires.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Even better pictures today. Outstanding sights and food.

🙌
thank you for the kind words. We have seen so much cool stuff that at times I forget the cool stuff.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Good day, that photo is so different than the southwest dust and dirt. Big difference along coast. Beautiful!!!! Still enjoying the views.

Stay safe!!! :clap:

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 1714F6A8-C8D0-4257-AFDF-B46A8A6A1CDF
We have seen through a bunch of different environments on this trip. Each is beautiful in their own way. The challenge is to find it.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Well thought we were going to have four more days of rain, but the rain held off today. So off to explore Mount Saint Helens. We couldn’t check into the Air b&b until after 3pm anyway.

We skipped Mount Hood yesterday because of the rain and fog. We thought Mount Saint Hellen was off the list too, but the weather cooperated today.

The drive through the mountains to get to Mount Saint Hellen rewarded us with many great
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 5E07D3CD-056D-4A43-BE95-69A209A61C68
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 19716EF6-5748-4022-AA43-F8ACB6012A3D
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 9B2A1E4D-F0BA-4210-9459-B951B73E0261

With Carla buying all kinds of baked goods the other day, it was time to strap the hiking shoes on.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 03A73D4D-1EF8-4B0B-81D2-F8F67684C3C8
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. F5655A11-3A6D-4121-B210-F1777136D8BE
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 3A0E5EC7-0D8E-49D6-90B0-EE4AB1B53AE9
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. EB7BC680-89BC-4D95-A0F2-B40DE984ECA0
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 58273466-CE66-4BFE-89DA-87D782F20751
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 4A46247A-7358-4C2D-82C1-5F8FA188DCCE
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. D4B4B0C9-5B55-4427-9CAB-FE078CC8A7D9

yup still some snow up at the top and on the far peaks.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. ACD3C0BE-5C6D-4796-B098-FD18725F0A7D
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. B7329A77-D3E7-4CDF-8C0F-6B688DEA12FE
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. A7EC4B97-C242-4E6C-9AF9-8F9ECAE699B6

If you have read this thread, you know I dare.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 5DC76ABF-C5E7-442D-B7D6-327D80C87CA9

This girl lives to beat on Jeeps and to hike. We ended up with just over 5 miles of hiking today.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 93815029-CE18-451A-8CB0-B045D9D006BF

Mount Saint Hellen crater with a waterfall inside of it.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. B972A8FF-FC68-401E-B7FF-0557A28BE15B

No rattle on this little fellow. He let us meander pass with zero hassle.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. DF979C88-D14F-4AFB-ACA9-31FAABB10FAE

now to find stuff to do in the Seattle area. We did not plan to get here until Tuesday. But with the bad weather, we just kept driving and here we are. Now for some chill time out of the Jeep and baby camper for a few weeks. Then off to Alaska. More to come.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This thread makes me want to go wheelin'! 👍

Hoping to get to the San Juans in Colorado in September.
Huh? The San Juans are a group of beautiful islands in NW Washington State. 😁

BTW Skoro... I'm a fellow owner of a 2dr Snazzberry with black top and painted fenders. :like:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Ted, welcome to our neck of the woods! Loving following your journey and all the pics. We will be at Cedar Tree #13 in two weeks. Hope I fit!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Ted, welcome to our neck of the woods! Loving following your journey and all the pics. We will be at Cedar Tree #13 in two weeks. Hope I fit!
you will have a great time out there. I enjoyed wheeling it. Might as well pick up the other badge trail while you are there. They are close to each other and both very doable. Good luck fitting through the tree if you have any lift or bigger tires. Maybe withenough lube or a chainsaw you can make it. Lol.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
dang, Ted; sorry i missed keeping up on this; i was busy in Moab last week, or i would have recommended some much more interesting pathways (read: dirt) through the Lost Coast.
if you did it on the pavement, you missed most of what is especially good about it.

good to hear you hammered through the rain to get where you're at now; that's the thing to do.
rain; get used to it. welcome to the Pacific Northwet! ;)

have fun/be careful!

Yesterday we drove the Lost Coast Highway in Northern California. It was pretty, but overhyped on the web. Three hours of driving for a few miles along the coast and in my opinion, I could have had the same or better views with out spending the time or money for fuel to see it. The drive was many miles of winding roads through and over the mountains to get there for about two miles along the coast. Then back out to the 101 to continue north.

I did throw the drone up for a 30 second video.

And snapped a couple pics along the way. Or not. The Wi-Fi at this hotel sucks. Do the cellular providers even know that the Oregon Coast exist? This is the worst coverage I have experienced in the entire US.
9D22E1B8-6B52-49D1-BAEC-1AE3A870D6EF.jpeg

The other six pics would not upload.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
dang, Ted; sorry i missed keeping up on this; i was busy in Moab last week, or i would have recommended some much more interesting pathways (read: dirt) through the Lost Coast.
if you did it on the pavement, you missed most of what is especially good about it.

good to hear you hammered through the rain to get where you're at now; that's the thing to do.
rain; get used to it. welcome to the Pacific Northwet! ;)

have fun/be careful!
We went out there to run the dirt, but missed it somewhere. Then there is horrible cell service so we could not look anything up . There is very poor cell service pretty much from San Francisco all the way north to Seattle Washington.

There will always be next time. We have a saying. “We know we can’t see it all so we will see what we can.” We missed Mount Hood, Horseshoe falls, Wahclella Falls, and the Three Sisters on the way north. We would have also liked to wheel more in the Tillmook Forest, but the weather was not cooperating.
We may try and get to Mount Rainer and the Olympic Peninsula .

sitting in this Air b&b sucks, watching Netflix sucks. I am not sure how I will ever return to the old normal.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the turnoff to the dirt on the southern end would be very easy to miss if you didn't know where to look for it.
the people at the store in Westport have the mile marker number posted up on the wall to share with people who come in asking for it; you'd easily drive right by it other wise.

yeah, cell service isn't really a thing on the coast once you get much north of Fort Bragg outside of small areas near some of the more developed points.

We went out there to run the dirt, but missed it somewhere. Then there is horrible cell service so we could not look anything up . There is very poor cell service pretty much from San Francisco all the way north to Seattle Washington.

There will always be next time. We have a saying. “We know we can’t see it all so we will see what we can.” We missed Mount Hood, Horseshoe falls, Wahclella Falls, and the Three Sisters on the way north. We would have also liked to wheel more in the Tillmook Forest, but the weather was not cooperating.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Well checked out the new Jurassic Park movie today. Not going to lie, Carla and I were disappointed. It was okay, just not up to par with the other ones. The characters just did not mesh well and they lacked emotional bonds to each other.
We started to head back to our Air b&b and said f it. It is a little cloudy, but let’s head for Mount Rainier. Spun the Jeep around and said let’s do this.

we stopped at the Ranger You would think the Park Ranger would tell you that you can’t drive to Mount Rainier because the road is gone……

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 11A25880-1169-4A00-AAAD-D5B7DBE01805

He didn’t say a word.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 4206548C-3CDC-4019-BC15-2DFBE3C53FCE

It was a little cloudy when we left. By the time we got there the mountain was covered in clouds and fog and of course it started to rain.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 6B1F1693-C428-4796-96E8-6B9B96D3898E

Made the best of it though. We did see some cool places to photograph and stopped occasionally on our way out. Dense tree cover and fog made big epic shots impossible but there was still stuff to see.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. D69C99DB-AA64-425F-9A87-C99EE134F778
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. D611E59E-79A5-4D3C-BC3B-A6CBE5948314
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 38246E11-8893-4910-9114-7A2E1288557B

Found a couple cool spots to camp . One was right by a gorgeous creek tucked into the trees.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 9AFF1EA3-D7B9-44C9-9158-34B1B78058C9
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 0115C014-B073-4CA1-9FE5-1432D9ED625A

With a moss covered bridge near the entrance.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. DB2C4826-A017-45A9-8813-28A98D6DDB70

Love this shot of the bridge. The color, the curve of the moss covered curb and railing and the wet pavement disappearing into the forest.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. AC45B5EF-F755-4F96-A061-A8A6DF6F5B46

Think I got the best haircut experience that day ever. If I lived in the Gig Harbor the Barber’s Room would get all my business.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 11233A29-E6DF-4081-9A7D-4A45697EAEB0

The trees were magnificent around this campsite.
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. E726C286-2FD0-4FCC-817C-DA1EC5357616

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 0D25DEDD-67A2-49C7-B974-5EDDA922B70F
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 3C3AA541-8A8C-4902-824C-AD5A9DF67529

There are many small water falls and creeks

Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 93A594E1-2AC6-49A5-93F0-5B5231D6FC13
Jeep Wrangler JL So it begins Michigan to the Mexico border to Alaska and back.  Three JLUR and campers. 178D0A99-7B4E-47A1-9356-74855ED94D93

Even though we could not see Mount Rainier it was still better than sitting in the Air b&b. We have a very nice Air b&b. I would 100% stay there again. Hot tub, a sauna comfortable bed and quiet.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
This morning we head out to meet a fellow forum member who contacted me and offered up his place to do maintenance to the jeep. Tire rotation, oil change and an opportunity to check the. Jeep over with a torque wrench is on the amends for the day.

@Left Field even offered to let me park my Jeep and camper at his home while we are on the cruise. So cool of him. Yet I could not take him up on that because another fellow forum member had also offered the same thing… a place to park my Jeep and camper.

@hickinwa contacted me about leaving my camper and Jeep at his place. I was just going to pay and park at the dock, then hickinwa talked me out of it.

Once again fellow Jlwranglerforums members being generous, helpful and kind to Carla and me. We just meet some of the best people via this place. We are truly blessed.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
@wibornz , we lived up there for about 6 years.

Wheeling the Puget sound is much like Idaho, lots of forest service and tight trails. Mudding folks from east of the Rockies just don't understand, no offense to anyone.

Tahuya is a spot I loved, as well as Elbe Hills. I have videos of my '71 Scout out and about(Lil Aloha Idaho on YT).

If you're into city sight seeing, Seattle has the underground city and the whole pier market system is full.

And if you like soccer at all, the Sounders home games are GREAT. They've set attendance records at 60K+ for a match. And if you meet up beforehand at Occidental Park they march through the streets to the pitch. It's awesome fun.

Thanks for living your best life so we can all live vicariously!
Sponsored