Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Here is my RockHard Aluminum Mid width front bumper with recessed winch along with some Baja LP4s. This is a toad behind my RV so I am trying to keep its weight down.

The OEM LED fogs plug in perfectly. I did the install myself. Yeah the Warn winch is a super tight fit. That is once you do a little grinding on the frame end flanges. If you have some DIY skills, dive in. I would be happy to advise.

I love the low profile and not restricting the airflow. Note also I had them 'delete' the bull bar. I didn't want it interfering with the front cam for crawling.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! IMG_2399

Note the clevis fittings specifically designed for towing. They tie directly into the frame ends.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 67297404304__6726EB8A-1BBF-4D7D-8B4E-21BB59C6A4E5
Sponsored

Last edited:

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I'll try to remember to take some pic's and get them posted tomorrow.

I found some anodized D-ring shackles that were pretty inexpensive. I think they were about $25 per pair. They came with isolaters and a quick release pin to prevent them from unscrewing and falling off. I really wanted to get some billet aluminum shackles, but considering what I just spent on two bumpers and a winch I didn't want to spend that much more right now. What I got looks good. I am going to pay close attention next winter to see how they hold up in the road salt.
Didn't realize the shackles pins normally come loose....just from bumping around I guess? And yeah aluminum shackles do not seem cheap.

What rear bumper did you go with? Doesn't seem like a ton of aluminum options so trying to make list of some lighter steel ones too.

proptied

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR Snazz
Next Venture Motorsports Featherweight

Added Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs by stripping the wire harness out of the old bumper.
Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S fit with no problems or interference.
Powder coated in a satin black on the aluminum cover and skid plate and then a bronze on the steel winch plate.
Trail cam still has an excellent view; even a little bit more on the sides than factory due to the stubby design.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! IMG_0864

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! IMG_0987

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! IMG_0872

OHV LV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Red 4xe Rubicon. '09 Sunburst Orange JKUX
That looks great. How much does the bar block the camera view?
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20220518_180123

Yeah, between the bar (which the bumper can be installed without) and the winch, I can't see much. Through the windshield, I can see a little in front of the yellow tire track lines, so the camera is good for a few feet, but not where you really need it. If I put a light bar on top of the bar, the camera will be totally useless for trail use.

I do like that I can see the hooks in the camera. they actually stick a little farther forward than the bar, so they are the furthest forward point. So, I can see before I punch a hole in my garage door or the car in front of me in a parking lot.

Sponsored

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20220518_180123

Yeah, between the bar (which the bumper can be installed without) and the winch, I can't see much. Through the windshield, I can see a little in front of the yellow tire track lines, so the camera is good for a few feet, but not where you really need it. If I put a light bar on top of the bar, the camera will be totally useless for trail use.

I do like that I can see the hooks in the camera. they actually stick a little farther forward than the bar, so they are the furthest forward point. So, I can see before I punch a hole in my garage door or the car in front of me in a parking lot.
Thanks for the reply and picture. I think I'll stay away from bumpers with bars. Good to know the bar on this one is optional.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Didn't realize the shackles pins normally come loose....just from bumping around I guess? And yeah aluminum shackles do not seem cheap.

What rear bumper did you go with? Doesn't seem like a ton of aluminum options so trying to make list of some lighter steel ones too.
Here is a proper of my Rock Hard Aluminum mid width and lowered winch plate, with shackles and the Factor 55 Ultrahook. Really happy with how it turned out. The winch is a Superwinch SX10.

I don't know if shackle pins coming loose and falling out is common or not. But it happened twice with my JK so ever since I find shackles that have quick release pins. The pins in the shackles I got for my JL are actually bolts with nuts on the other end and a quick release pin to prevent the nut from screwing off.
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20220518_165647

For the rear I went with the Rock Hard aluminum as well. I really wanted a bumper that kept the license plate located in the bumper. I also like that it is low profile and only sticks out about 4" from the back of the Jeep.

This bumper does not have a cutout for the spare tire so you need to have a spare tire mount that either raises the spare above the bumper or can be pulled out far enough to give the tire clearance. Rock Hard does offer a couple parts that enable you to raise the spare high enough for clearance.

I have the Teraflex Alpha HD tire mount and hinged tailgate reinforcement. In order for this to work with the Rock Hard bumper you need a wheel with 4.5" backspace or less, which is what my wheels are. The stock Jeep wheels have 6" backspace so they will not work with the Teraflex tire mount and Rock Hard bumper. The second image shows the clearance I have with my spare and the bumper. To achieve this I set the tire mount to the highest position and pulled it out all the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20220518_165738_LI

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20220424_162402

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Here is a proper of my Rock Hard Aluminum mid width and lowered winch plate, with shackles and the Factor 55 Ultrahook. Really happy with how it turned out. The winch is a Superwinch SX10.

I don't know if shackle pins coming loose and falling out is common or not. But it happened twice with my JK so ever since I find shackles that have quick release pins. The pins in the shackles I got for my JL are actually bolts with nuts on the other end and a quick release pin to prevent the nut from screwing off.
Do you have a link for the shackles with the quick release pins for a jumping off point? I'm thinking if I'm gonna try painting my shackles I should have some spares anyway (and will definitely need some if I get an aftermarket rear).

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
For the rear I went with the Rock Hard aluminum as well. I really wanted a bumper that kept the license plate located in the bumper. I also like that it is low profile and only sticks out about 4" from the back of the Jeep.

This bumper does not have a cutout for the spare tire so you need to have a spare tire mount that either raises the spare above the bumper or can be pulled out far enough to give the tire clearance. Rock Hard does offer a couple parts that enable you to raise the spare high enough for clearance.

I have the Teraflex Alpha HD tire mount and hinged tailgate reinforcement. In order for this to work with the Rock Hard bumper you need a wheel with 4.5" backspace or less, which is what my wheels are. The stock Jeep wheels have 6" backspace so they will not work with the Teraflex tire mount and Rock Hard bumper. The second image shows the clearance I have with my spare and the bumper. To achieve this I set the tire mount to the highest position and pulled it out all the way.

20220518_165738_LI.jpg

20220424_162402.jpg
Also I do like a lot of aspects of that Rock Hard rear bumper: simple design, license plate solution, backup sensor holes, keeps the factory hitch, as light as the plastic (from what I read on how much a takeoff weighs). I'm a bit bummed about having to buy a spare tire adjuster, especially for stock wheels/tires. I'd like to keep things light: for the foreseeable future I'm keeping my Willys wheels/tires (might replace with 33 ATs after they wear out).

Sounds like the one you posted above wouldn't work for me with stock wheels. The (cheaper) one they offer is $150 and weights about 15lbs. A question you might know the answer to: is that one/your Teraflex one replacing a pre-existing carrier that is a similar weight, or is that just 15 additional pounds onto my tailgate that I should think of as "part" of the bumper package?

The reason I ask is if it's in addition, that puts the bumper "package" around 45lbs and $1250 and I imagine if you buy from their site another $250 in freight shipping, so maybe $1500 together (I got lucky and Northridge 4x4 had the front in stock with free shipping).

Not putting them down or anyone who bought them (I really like the front bumper and think it was worth it), but since I'm still in the research phase, wondering how this compares to some lighter steel rears with tire cutouts and similar features other than license plate relocation: Rugged Ridge HD Rear (40lbs total, $620 shipped), DV8 Offroad Rear (48lbs total, $620 shipped), Fishbone Mako Rear (50lbs total, $650 shipped). I'm not in a rush to replace the plastic rear, so still pondering it all.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I do like a lot of aspects of that Rock Hard rear bumper: simple design, license plate solution, backup sensor holes, keeps the factory hitch, as light as the plastic (from what I read on how much a takeoff weighs). I'm a bit bummed about having to buy a spare tire adjuster, especially for stock wheels/tires. I'd like to keep things light: for the foreseeable future I'm keeping my Willys wheels/tires (might replace with 33 ATs after they wear out).

Sounds like the one you posted above wouldn't work for me with stock wheels. The (cheaper) one they offer is $150 and weights about 15lbs. A question you might know the answer to: is that one/your Teraflex one replacing a pre-existing carrier that is a similar weight, or is that just 15 additional pounds onto my tailgate that I should think of as "part" of the bumper package?
I don't know the actual weight of the bumper but it is comparable to the stock plastic bumper it replaces.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking in the second paragraph. My Teraflex tire carrier replaced the stock spare tire carrier. What I have is two pieces, the Alpha HD Adjustable Tire Mount and the Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier. Both peices are all aluminum. They can be purchased separately or together.

Comparing just the Alpha HD adjustable mount and the stock plastic spare mount the TF mount is heavier, but by how much I'm not sure. I would say it's about 10-15lbs over the stock mount. The hinged spare tire carrier is mostly incremental add in weight, although you do remove the stock hinges. It is all aluminum but it is heavy duty, thick and extend 2/3 or more across the tailgate. I'd guess it adds 30 lbs of incremental weight. But what it adds in weight it more than makes up for it with as much as it reinforces the tailgate; it is very solid. If you go with both of the TF peices I would guess it adds an incremental 40-50lbs over the stock parts it replaces.

This is what I have: https://teraflex.com/jl-alpha-hd-hinged-spare-tire-carrier-adjustable-spare-tire-mount-kit-5x5.html

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I don't know the actual weight of the bumper but it is comparable to the stock plastic bumper it replaces.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking in the second paragraph. My Teraflex tire carrier replaced the stock spare tire carrier. What I have is two pieces, the Alpha HD Adjustable Tire Mount and the Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier. Both peices are all aluminum. They can be purchased separately or together.

Comparing just the Alpha HD adjustable mount and the stock plastic spare mount the TF mount is heavier, but by how much I'm not sure. I would say it's about 10-15lbs over the stock mount. The hinged spare tire carrier is mostly incremental add in weight, although you do remove the stock hinges. It is all aluminum but it is heavy duty, thick and extend 2/3 or more across the tailgate. I'd guess it adds 30 lbs of incremental weight. But what it adds in weight it more than makes up for it with as much as it reinforces the tailgate; it is very solid. If you go with both of the TF peices I would guess it adds an incremental 40-50lbs over the stock parts it replaces.

This is what I have: https://teraflex.com/jl-alpha-hd-hinged-spare-tire-carrier-adjustable-spare-tire-mount-kit-5x5.html
I think you got what I was asking correctly! I haven't messed with my spare much yet, so wasn't sure how the adjustable mounts from Teraflex, Rock Hard worked. As in was it : 1) an addition to the stock carrier so adds weight 2) replaced the current carrier but was equivalent weight, or 3) replaced the current carrier but was heavier. From what you've said, it sounds like the last case; since the original one is plastic, the switch adds 10-15lbs (for reference, the Rock Hard one is listed at 15lbs). Definitely makes sense that it's much heavier duty.

The reason I'm asking is that the Rock Hard bumper is the only bumper on my spreadsheet so far that has no cutout and thus requires a new adjustable mount for stock tires. Since I have stock Willys MTs, and will probably stop at 33s, this isn't a mod I was planning on making at all, vs someone with bigger tires who would have to do all that anyway. Thus it's an extra $150/15lbs that I should consider as part of the research process.

So for reference, since this is the aluminum thread: barring all other feature comparisons/taxes/shipping, a couple examples are: Rock Hard rear 30lbs / $1100, Quadratec Aluminum Brute Strength 50lbs / $900, Rival aluminum 75lbs / $950 (all from Quadratec). However, Quadratec/Rival have spare cutouts whereas Rock hard doesn't, so the real number (for me) is Rock Hard is 45lbs / $1250 when I account for adding the carrier mount. So it ends up being almost the same weight as the Quadratec, or a little heavier/about the same as the 3 steel ones in the $600 range I mentioned in the previous post.

(Sorry this ended up being kinda long. Thinking out loud and maybe it helps others too as they're doing research)

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The reason I ask is if it's in addition, that puts the bumper "package" around 45lbs and $1250 and I imagine if you buy from their site another $250 in freight shipping, so maybe $1500 together (I got lucky and Northridge 4x4 had the front in stock with free shipping).

Not putting them down or anyone who bought them (I really like the front bumper and think it was worth it), but since I'm still in the research phase, wondering how this compares to some lighter steel rears with tire cutouts and similar features other than license plate relocation: Rugged Ridge HD Rear (40lbs total, $620 shipped), DV8 Offroad Rear (48lbs total, $620 shipped), Fishbone Mako Rear (50lbs total, $650 shipped). I'm not in a rush to replace the plastic rear, so still pondering it all.
Hey Billy, I am in the same boat as you on upgrading my stock rear bumper to RockHard Aluminum or other. Super happy with my RockHard aluminum front bumper. Already posted pics on this thread.

Weight is super important to me as I am also towing my JLR behind my RV and I'm already at max CGWR. Hearing that the RockHard aluminum rear weight is same as OEM is a big seller along with sensor provisions. Recessed license plate is cool too.

The tire/offset fit is an issue. I am currently running my stock 33s but will go to 35s and maybe a little less backspacing but enough to clear the bumper... I don't know?

Need to continue to research what I need to do to make the bumper work with the spare.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Hey Billy, I am in the same boat as you on upgrading my stock rear bumper to RockHard Aluminum or other. Super happy with my RockHard aluminum front bumper. Already posted pics on this thread.

Weight is super important to me as I am also towing my JLR behind my RV and I'm already at max CGWR. Hearing that the RockHard aluminum rear weight is same as OEM is a big seller along with sensor provisions. Recessed license plate is cool too.

The tire/offset fit is an issue. I am currently running my stock 33s but will go to 35s and maybe a little less backspacing but enough to clear the bumper... I don't know?

Need to continue to research what I need to do to make the bumper work with the spare.
Good to hear someone like me out there! Yep the Rock Hard aluminum front is great so far. My only thoughts with it left are "should I black out the bolts?" and "is there something I could do with the front light mounting tabs other than lights?" (I don't need anymore lights).

I totally agree that Rock Hard being a low weight and having the license plate/sensors is a nice feature set. The tire/offset is a bummer; I wish they had found a way to make a cutout. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can chip on the 35s, but from what I've read before, I don't think you'd need more than the stock carrier for 35s. If that's true, you're probably in be the same camp as me where'd you'd have to buy at minimum the $150 adjustable mount / extra 15lbs when you wouldn't have before (I'm not sure but I don't think backspacing differences will help?...they say any tire over 28" won't fit).

For more of my research on this and others: All together, if I check out on their site, with freight shipping and the tire mount it comes out to $1525 for the rear (if it ships with a pallet like my front did, I don't think that would fit in the Jeep, which means I'd have to rent a pickup to get it, or pay an additional $200 for shipping to my address). That probably means around $1600-1750 total for the RH rear bumper from their site. I'd probably be able to get the cost down some by buying from Northridge or Quadratec which don't charge as much for shipping, but they say you'd wait 8-9 weeks? (I was lucky with Northridge that they had one front in stock with free shipping and forum discount).

Everybody's finances and priorities are different, but at least to me at that price point it's not the same dollar to weight to feature value proposition that convinced me to buy their aluminum front (everything together for front was almost 100lbs under some other systems, not so here). If you're gonna be at 45lbs for the package anyway, from what I've researched the Quadratec aluminum is 50 pounds and $900 shipped (though no backup sensors doesn't work for me). There are at least 3 steel bumpers I posted above that are in the 40-50 pounds range with backup sensors/space for the hitch and will cost about $650 shipped (including buying something to relocate the license plate).

I haven't nearly made up my mind yet, but for $700-$1k less and the same weight for the package, I think it'd be hard to justify RH for my use case vs one of the steel ones. If the finance part isn't a huge deal to you but pure weight is, I'd consider looking into a few other light aluminum ones as part of your research. For example I saw Next Venture is light and has a spare cutout. Says it's 34 pounds and $1650-$1950 shipped (depending on powder coat -- no license plate, but can have LED cutouts too).

Hope my current research brain dump helps with your search too.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I haven't nearly made up my mind yet, but for $700-$1k less and the same weight for the package, I think it'd be hard to justify RH for my needs vs one of the steel ones. If the finance part isn't a huge deal to you but pure weight is, I'd consider looking into a few other light aluminum ones as part of your research. For example I saw Next Venture is light and has a spare cutout. Says it's 34 pounds and $1650-$1950 shipped (depending on powder coat -- no license plate, but can have LED cutouts too).

Hope my current research brain dump helps with your search too.
Really like the Next Venture and if it wasn't for the scabbed on license plate location, it would be higher on the list. The $$$ is something to choke on especially since it isn't perfect.

Really trying to figure out how to make the RockHard work. If there are any other aluminum rear bumpers to consider, I am all ears!
Sponsored