Sponsored

Makes NO Sense to Buy Anything other than a Rubicon

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Loved my JK Rubi, but-JLU Rubicon priced same as base Porsche Macan, no brainer.
Yeahhhhh no. I thought that too initially, until I built a Macan with SOME options. The mfer rose like nothing. You'll easily spend 60-70k on a well equipped Macan.
Sponsored

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
I would rather own a Rubicon than a Macan. No one is taking their Porsche Off-Road.

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
When you price out a nicely equipped Sahara it's basically the same price as a Rubicon. Granted the Sahara rides much better, but if your that picky about ride quality, you are in the wrong vehicle.
I'm curious, does the Sahara really, actually ride better than a Rubicon? Or is that just what some who have bought a Sahara want to believe?

I haven't ridden in a new Rubicon but I have in a few JK Rubicon. When I was ready to buy the JL Rubicon were 6 to 8 weeks out so I did my back to back test drive between a JK Rubicon and a JL Sahara. They were pretty similar in price and I thought the ride of the JK Rubicon was fine. Handling of the JL was much, much better and I prefer the JL look to the JK.

I planned on replacing a lot of bits anyways so waiting for a JL Rubicon made less sense for me. Hi-speed back-road travel (mud, gravel, sand, snow) is more my thing so I'm not missing anything really. In a few months aftermarket lockers will be available and upgraded axles are already available so I can up the game if I want to.

I don't think the Sahara is bad-value compared to the other models but I totally agree that the Rubicon and Sport S are the most bang for the buck.

That said I still have Rubicon envy.

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am one of the rare persons that have test drove all three trims. The Sahara drove most like an SUV than the rest. This could be because it has gas shocks and a suspension tuned to be better on-road. I'd say the Sport drove like a less refined Sahara. The ride on the Rubicon was much more like a truck; higher up, nosier and firmer. This may have a lot to do with the larger tire size,, off-road tuned suspension, and rock trac gearing.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I am one of the rare persons that have test drove all three trims.
Did you check tire pressure? Not discounting your impressions, but if the three weren't all at a reasonable pressure that could have a significant impact on ride quality.

Sponsored

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on the dash. I was thinking maybe the lockers were engaged during the test drive, but I doubt I would be able to turn so well if they were...

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how a Macan got pulled into the discussion but some food for thought, in Canuckian the base prices for somewhat similar vehicles are:

- Colorado ZR2 is 46,260
- Rubicon Unlimited is $48,745
- Toyota TRD Pro is $53,130
- Porsche Macan is $54,100
- Land Rover Discovery is $63,900
- Porsche Cayenne is $69,600
- Ford Raptor is $69,049

So in Canada at least the Rubicon is very well priced compared to what seems to be possible competition. This is actually the list of vehicles I cross shopped over the last year.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Not a fan of VW let alone dressed up fancy VW.

If I had a craving for German SUV it would be MB or BMW.

I checked out discovery and I’d rather drive a Nissan Rogue for half the price.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Based off the shipping trends I’ve noticed (Rubicon quick deliveries vs dragged out Sahara and Sports), this thread title is starting to make more sense...
My Sport S shipped quickly. I think it's random.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This week I went from a nicely loaded Sport S to a nicely loaded Rubi. For me it made sense.

And my reason why had to do with what I was going to change/upgrade on the Sport S. All total I was looking at a bit over 5k. Price for going to Rubi is 7400. With the Rubi I will not need to do the upgrades I would have on the Sport S, plus I get some nice extras. Downside, I imagine I am now moved to the back of the line for orders.

So again, with my situation it made sense. For others maybe not. I do not agree with the thread title, but think depending on how you option and what upgrades you would do to a Sport S it may make more sense to go Rubicon.
Well of course it makes sense for some people to go with the Rubicon just like it makes sense for some people to choose the Sport/S or the Sahara.

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
The red dash is reason enough not to get a Rubicon