Taking Doors Off - remove spring?

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Has anyone removed the door check? Or even just replaced the bolt connecting the door check to the frame attachment with one that's removable?

I usually keep the bolts off my doors so they're easy to take on and off. It's annoying having to deal with that door check each time. I'm trying to find a good removable bolt for the attachment to the body, so I can remove that instead of the bolt each time. I was curious if anyone's done that already.
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Has anyone removed the door check? Or even just replaced the bolt connecting the door check to the frame attachment with one that's removable?

I usually keep the bolts off my doors so they're easy to take on and off. It's annoying having to deal with that door check each time. I'm trying to find a good removable bolt for the attachment to the body, so I can remove that instead of the bolt each time. I was curious if anyone's done that already.
I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that you can push the door check all the way in and just leave it unattached- obviously you won’t have the detents stopping your doors, but keeps have been ok without those for ages.

HookR4

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I accidentally pushed mine in the driver side and it won't come back out, any tips?

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I accidentally pushed mine in the driver side and it won't come back out, any tips?
I did the same thing. It was an easy fix. I put the door on the jeep, opened it all the way up so it was against the fender and had my wife stand in front of the door so it didn't move... I took a large screwdriver, put in through the bolthole on the doorcheck and pulled very hard. It comes out with enough force.

HookR4

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Oke doke. I was so scared I was gonna ruin it if I tried that lol .She is brand new... Only 2 weeks old.

20180722_115503.jpg

Sponsored

Adambonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited jl
Yea I’m going to remove mine as well. I like to really pop the doors off and go I don’t want to spend all the time unbolting 4 doors... got mine 2 weeks ago :rock:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I took a large screwdriver, put in through the bolthole on the doorcheck and pulled very hard. It comes out with enough force.
Took a second to read that correctly. I almost asked if you had to get a doctor to check that out...

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
We were just talking to a waitress today about jeeps. She said it's a pain putting her daughter in sometimes because of the door swinging back. Told her about the JL with the arm on the door. She was all about trying to get that on her jeep. It's a nice option to me. And takes me a minute or less to remove. I only take off the front doors

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
We just put a zip tie through it and then put hammer and pull through the loop I saw a guy take his off before but he had to take the whole door panel off and the glass it's a hassle I would like to have mine off too I don't care to have it anymore

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine have been off almost 3 yrs now. Don't miss it and don't have the door hinge bolts in either. I can have doors off and windows out and in bag in less than 5 min timing me pit crew wife and son that is.. lol. I found I scratched the door surrounds much more putting door check on and off repeatedly. Don't get me wrong when it's windy the door checks are nice, but doors on and off repeatedly it's nice to kill a step

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Mine have been off almost 3 yrs now. Don't miss it and don't have the door hinge bolts in either. I can have doors off and windows out and in bag in less than 5 min timing me pit crew wife and son that is.. lol. I found I scratched the door surrounds much more putting door check on and off repeatedly. Don't get me wrong when it's windy the door checks are nice, but doors on and off repeatedly it's nice to kill a step
Me and my wife do it together I trust her more than some of my friends LOL.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
When I went from my JK to the JL, I thought the door checks would be a PITA (my doors are off more than on from April through September). I have found that taking out and storing the bolts adds less than 60 seconds total to the removal time for 4 doors and maybe 90 seconds to the installation time - well worth the convenience of having them. Also, I do not use the ratchet for this - a T-40 on my impact driver makes very quick work of it.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
For anyone who has ever pushed the detent arm in to the door….

using an exhaust spring tool makes it a snap to pull it back out.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
so how do y'all plan on getting yours off ? because I saw where you have to take the glass off the door panel because it's in the way
Sponsored