Waiting….so I bought something to bridge the gap
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR B59AB6AC-364D-40E3-BC1E-F9304121A310

Which I loved riding around with him

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR B3DCD0E3-8FF1-4654-AF6F-F2E3A621F998

So in October I bought this

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 39571BAF-041A-45C5-A93B-577194A60805

10 days later I did this

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 5CF150BF-BEF0-4D71-8F39-F2ABE7398269

Which helped me realize how much I love my new Jeep. Now I need to mod it so I make less noise on rocks. Hope you all enjoyed my story. Good night.

To keep this interesting I think this is a story told in three parts.
  1. Prior to Purchase (PP) - How does someone go from an all electric pickup to my new Jeep.
  2. First time off-roading my Jeep to joining the JL Wrangler Forum, I will call this the Recent past (RP).
  3. Current Build (CB) where I focus on whatever update/issue I’m currently obsessing over.
The RP should resolve pretty quickly and get us caught up, but the prior to purchase (PP) may help when I drop important journal updates such as “today I installed a CONSOLE DIVIDER”:)

We are all just here wasting time, fantasizing about our build and other people’s jeeps/trips so I will try to make it a little interesting, give the experienced jeepers a change to drop some knowledge/warnings and hopefully help us new jeepers as we grow and better define our needs/wants for our rig. I hope you enjoy.

This part of the post will grow/change to reflect my build as I post updates, but will start with my initial thoughts on the day I purchased it. Thought- “There is nothing more cathartic than driving with the top down. I loved my bestop for my TJ. We have cats on our hobby farm and I need something that I can put up really quickly and open really quickly! I need to do some research….BestTop Sunrider it is. I’ll order that after we go to the Jeepin 201 class.” After one week of my phone in the space next to the emergency brake, "maybe I need a phone holder."

NOTE: I have tried to provide hyperlinks to all mods and vendors through this portion of the journal and the story sections, hope that helps if someone is interested in a specific mod.

Exterior
Rydonair Antenna - Installed 11.20.21

Interior
Rugged ridge Door Sill Guards - Installed 11.24.21
Outback Adventures Trailgater - Installed 1.24.21

Phone Holder
Considering at the time (will update when I get to that point in the build log)- CMM Off road JLU Gab bar ball mount with ram iphone mount, 67 designs, Offroam Vent Mount

Tops/Doors
Sunrider
Initial plan- BesTop Sunrider in Black Twill
Purchased-

Aesthetics

Recovery Gear

Storage

Local Vendors
Sponsored

Last edited:

wesjtx

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Almost identical looking to mine except mine is soft top. Interested to see what all you do with it!

Wes

OP
OP
BoatTox

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon XR -Skratch
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sitting
Almost identical looking to mine except mine is soft top. Interested to see what all you do with it!

Wes
Hey Wes, nice to meet you. Congrats on the choice. Jeep has a lot of great colors but I was drawn to the Black/white/red contrast and I live on a gravel road and the white helps a little.

Tell me, how are you liking the soft top? My TJ soft top was great, but I travel 2.5-3 hours to see my daughter and son-in-law and the snapping of the top got grating on my nerves and we plan to do some trips from MO to (AR, TX, OK, CO, NM, UT, and Maybe AZ) in the next 3 years. I think the factory soft tops are quieter. My brother has the one touch and says it's been good so far. I wanted the one touch, but it was take what's available in the current market:)

I've already done some things, mostly minor, but a big part of my build starts Jan 31st. I'm working on catching up this journal where it will reflect what I've done/am currently doing/ and what new idiotic thing I'm obsessing about at the moment:). If you start a build journal let me know and I will follow as well.

wesjtx

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Tell me, how are you liking the soft top? My TJ soft top was great, but I travel 2.5-3 hours to see my daughter and son-in-law and the snapping of the top got grating on my nerves and we plan to do some trips from MO to (AR, TX, OK, CO, NM, UT, and Maybe AZ) in the next 3 years. I think the factory soft tops are quieter. My brother has the one touch and says it's been good so far. I wanted the one touch, but it was take what's available in the current market:)
I absolutely love it. I also had a TJ with a soft top and it was loud, hard to put up and down, and not always rain proof. The JLU soft top is the total opposite. Only slightly louder than the hard top, less than 5 min to raise or lower including removing/installing side and back window, and havent ever had a drop of water come in despite numerous trips through car wash, etc.

Wes

OP
OP
BoatTox

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon XR -Skratch
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sitting
Chapter 1
Prior to Purchase

It’s March 2019 and I have just witnessed my brother's Model 3 performance drive through heavy traffic in downtown DFW while using whatever version of autopilot was available at the time. He kept his hands above the wheel the entire time ready to take over but only 3 times during a 45 min drive did he make corrections. That combined with instant torque, over the air updates that increased his range and horsepower in the previous few months, lead to a truly eye opening experience. This was the future.

The only problem is that we live on a
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR B10BAE77-45B0-4681-8CBD-7AC21888A207

hobby farm, with 3 kids in the house, and my wife isn’t driving a sedan with all the jacked up pickups to dodge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 7E5C6F11-EA2A-4DB4-8DD3-BABB68EAAA1E

My brother asks if we have heard of Rivian. The next day we put down a deposit for the R1S. This begins the road to our first electric vehicle, but takes many unexpected turns. Well I kinda lied, this was our families first electric vehicle…

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR EEC1A37D-B31B-48A8-9736-F80545B6BE3F

Recent Past

My new Jeep is bought and a local Jeep club, Ozark Jeep Thing (OJT) is hosting a Jeeping 201 class…”we will introduce you to more fundamentals covered in the previous 101 class last spring” Ummm, that seems a step up but with life in general these days, things get canceled and what if they don’t have the spring class? I emailed the club and they said jump right in. Thanks OJT!

Alright, let’s see how many youtube videos I can watch between now and the Saturday class. I talk to the fam, now 2 teenage boys, daughter is now married and back in college…”Hey guys, I’ve got this great idea! How about we get up early in the morning so we can be at SMORR at 8:00 AM.” Now that is leaving about 6:45 am but since my family takes forever to actually leave the house once we are ready, I ask for 6:30 am. They agree…good kids, that is a sacrifice as my 16 year old doesn’t like to rise until noon:).
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 7DC60FD9-F4DE-47E3-8E80-C610A507665C

So we pack up, I take a pair of gloves and a full cooler for drinks and a second soft cooler for snacky cakes…this is very important to keeping the family dynamics on a level course. We meet some really nice people and it turns out that 5 of us have new jeeps and 3 of us are brand new to jeeping…whew. I’m going to exclude names, but thank you to everyone from OJT that taught us the beginnings and agreed to retrace trails that some of them have probably rode many, many times.

Sweet, one of the new jeeps has my coveted BesTop, I get a chance to show the tower (wife’s nickname) and she asks me to hold the phone and think about getting it when it’s not 30 degrees outside….sigh.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 7C4BA0A6-792E-4354-BA1D-CB7D61FF5A8B

Our group leader asks us if we brought an air down kit…uh oh….Shopping list item number one ARB tire deflator kit. We haven’t gone anywhere and I’m thinking how much am I going to do this, I mean really, how am I going to air down/air up after today? Don’t worry SMORR has 4 compressor tanks/hoses and so no worries…whew. Who's got a radio/cb/grms…sigh I had a small pair at the farm but they were really just walkie talkies. Later that night I watch some videos and I find Jeeping for beginners. He recommends, and I buy a pair of Beofeng G11s. Ok, we are are off and running first up is….Pee-Wee’s crossing. You have Badge of Honor on your phone???
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR FD85ED84-C7F8-4D8E-9CAE-6D8F39BB0FE1
…well I do now!

Off to Pee-Wee’s crossing. We start on the trail and already the fam was having a good time. A few minutes in a we are talking about how cool this is and looking there my first small Branch caressing my right fender
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR BBDBB2A6-4776-4F27-970B-0E8B32CF1CFB

As we go along the trail we get to the waterfall drop off that I had seen on YouTube. While watching from the comfort of my home I thought I can do that, doesn’t look to bad. That was another deal once we got there. Our OJT leaders told us that we could do it but our bumpers were going to get hit/scratched. I looked at the tower…Clearance…
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 8908FD3D-A10A-4A45-905D-52E3F482D178

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 180D2C2C-038E-4C33-8C5D-7E01C2ECE657

The bumpers scratches and pops on the passenger side, but what a cool thing to experience for the first time. Thank you all for great spotting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 2F394A74-3ECF-49A7-8528-A53144383082

Loved the mud pattern on my new wheels:)

Finish up before lunch by going up Bronco Buster and stop at the swing tree. Glad I didn’t get the JT, my small extended parts on the fenders barely fit through the trees at the bottom of Bronco Buster. The combination of the turn and narrow trees might have been too much for this new jeeper. Lunch was great, OJT teachers introduced us to needed equipment… which led to more purchases:) Gaffer tape, Factor 55 Tree Saver, Factor 55 Crosby Shackles in red please, an Avid cordless air pump, and Zip ties. I already have JB weld and bailing wire.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 837AD1F2-D472-4CB5-842D-3B08FA7F7F64

Don’t laugh at me on the air pump, reviews will follow in later posts:). I mean how much am I going to do this, really? Do you see how much an ARB compressor costs!!!!

We finish lunch and the assessment is that we are ready to tackle LogJam. This is a lvl 4 out of 6 at SMORR and for a new Jeeper another harrowing experience as I learn the difference between a squeal from rock sliders and screech from scratching my 10 day old vanity rings and the chunk sound/feeling as we strike the bottom a few times.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 771641AA-C371-45A6-BCFB-07AE3BBE7E9D

By now my kids are addicted to the off-road screen and demand that pitch and roll are available thought out the day and all days to come. We got back to base camp and I truly understand how wonderfully capable these machines are off road.

I told my myself that I wasn’t going to sell the TJ and buy this if I was not going to be willing to scratch it. That was definitely tested with the Jeep 10 days old. All 4 wheels scratched, some pinstripes on the fenders, a small chip of paint off the drivers side back door hinge and my plastic back bumper popped loose after my Pee-Wee’s waterfall adventure.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 50407FD4-BF7A-4445-8A48-2A9CA4DD61AC

Weirdly the wheels bothered me the most, but after the adrenaline had settled down on the way home I realized that this was the first vehicle that would pull me out of the house to just take driving and searching for adventure.

Thank you to all the people at OJT who helped introduce an new Jeeper to his Jeep. Because of that day all my desires for the Jeep changed, and I was now willing to go do more than just drive it around with the top off on back country roads. Also thanks to my fellow new Jeepers I met that day, it was great meeting people of all ages trying this out for the first time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR ED0EC78A-817D-4B8A-B6C8-6FDE3AFC7577

And finally my first 2 mods arrive..prepare yourselves.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR E1235959-A6D3-4045-9C6B-317BFA8D90BD

Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR DD3B6588-5D00-4E24-A5C8-DBDC250A2DB9

Rydonair Antenna

And..wait for it…
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR C592B57E-5F0D-442F-B72F-927BC905BFEA
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 9E9DD580-51FB-4918-893A-DCA2CD9D5945

Rugged Ridge Door sill guards. I mean its sometimes muddy out there. Am I right, Am I right???
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR BB6CEA48-C6F0-4A1E-9781-D0EA3C50B938

Meanwhile an idea is brewing with my brother south in Dallas…stay tuned.

Current Build
Ok, Meat and potatoes time. CB will have simple straightforward build stuff. Skip to here each time if you are not impressed with story time.

Remember I told you the fam needed snacky cakes to stay happy. Well one of our first big issues was after we pull out the coolers, where do we put the mayo and the mustard. I agonized about this decision and was so tempted to spend my money elsewhere, but I’m glad I followed Brad’s advice at TrailRecon. The Outback Adventures Trailgater is amazing. The product is solidly built, came with great instructions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 6CBD8D16-A2BD-4268-BB71-A1DCD6F6F3EF
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR B93AC7C6-5146-408F-85B8-7EAEC1FCD169
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 8D8B8217-6E17-496B-80DA-D9FCD13DE21A
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 1FA11200-F6A7-4A57-BF1D-44F2C6DDC803

and I was inspired by something Brad had done in his video.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scratch- 21 JLU Rubi XR 05235E41-035D-4D78-A5D5-7DCDD28817E3

This Trailgater is an essential piece I have been needing. With the Tailgater installed, I can now put my freedom tops in their bag, secure the bag and measure my total cargo space for our July family vacation to Angel fire/Taos/Santa Fe NM! I’m tired, hope you enjoyed the post. I will try to get my next one done by next week.

Note to myself: Move staging build to bottom of the first post to track changes and update my new mods.
Sponsored

Last edited: