Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
  • Banned
Hi Quadratec,

Can you make something to cover up or hide that hideous gash behind the front fender that you and I both know doesn't really help in cooling anything when stationary?

Is it possible to make an entire replacement panel?

I miss the simple and clean looks of Wranglers.
Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I could have swore I watch a vid of someone saying that it was functional and helps with hood flutter. I guess that was false?

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I could have swore I watch a vid of someone saying that it was functional and helps with hood flutter. I guess that was false?
It wasn't false.
It's absolutely false. In my JKU I have even removed my rubber seal on top of the grille (gasp) and I don't get hood flutter and I'm using the stock rubber hood latches. The world and its dog already solved the problem for those who had it when aftermarket latches came along. If the JK had hard latches (which I assume) like what the JL has, no one would have issues under normal highway speeds at least.

Some people at FCA were definitely bent on vents when you look at them all. I have no isssue with it as long as people who like clean and authentic Jeep lines aren't forced to buy something that looks like what new-money and bad taste buys. And they're plastic too!

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
It's absolutely false. In my JKU I have even removed my rubber seal on top of the grille (gasp) and I don't get hood flutter and I'm using the stock rubber hood latches. The world and its dog already solved the problem for those who had it when aftermarket latches came along. If the JK had hard latches (which I assume) like what the JL has, no one would have issues under normal highway speeds at least.

Some people at FCA were definitely bent on vents when you look at them all. I have no isssue with it as long as people who like clean and authentic Jeep lines aren't forced to buy something that looks like what new-money and bad taste buys. And they're plastic too!
Sorry, I will take Mark Allen's word for it over your assertion.

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Sorry, I will take Mark Allen's word for it over your assertion.
The difference is I'm not after your money. There's also no need to take anyone's word, you can:

1. Verify this what I said on your own with a JK/JL with vents covered. They put the JL vents behind the fender to create a negative pressure zone outside but this is useless. Get an OBD2 reader and you can see the intake temperatures and they're not an issue when the vehicle is in motion. The JL vents on the side don't do anything when it's mostly stationary because hot air... get this... rises to the top.

2. Have a look around to see if every vehicle without giant hideous gashes on the sides to see they are melting down in traffic or if their hoods are just lying around by the side of the highway. The JL is not meant to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere to need this crap :cwl:

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
The difference is I'm not after your money. There's also no need to take anyone's word, you can:

1. Verify this what I said on your own with a JK/JL with vents covered. They put the JL vents behind the fender to create a negative pressure zone outside but this is useless. Get an OBD2 reader and you can see the intake temperatures and they're not an issue when the vehicle is in motion. The JL vents on the side don't do anything when it's mostly stationary because hot air... get this... rises to the top.

2. Have a look around to see if every vehicle without giant hideous gashes on the sides to see they are melting down in traffic or if their hoods are just lying around by the side of the highway. The JL is not meant to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere to need this crap :cwl:
Referring to them as hideous gashes is a bit over dramatic. Many trucks have them, including the Raptor. They serve a function, maybe not as much as you would like though. Maybe you just need to bust out your Bondo and get to work.

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think they look great. Do you dislike the Rubicon hoods, as well?

Sponsored

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you dislike the look of the original Jeeps? :)
You didn’t answer my question, but in the name of civility, I’ll answer yours: Of course not, but I’m also a fan of the new ones, which is why I’m on a forum dedicated to them. There aren’t a ton of defining features that separate the JL from the JK, but “giant hideous gashes” are one of them.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I am not sure how your hood did not flutter. My 2015 JK hood can be seen fluttering while on the highway. I was actually upset that Jeep did not apply a vinyl protector film under the front hood lip. My rubber seal has yellow paint on it and the paint under the hood has completely worn off. When I saw this I figured this was a great place for early rust to start.

I am glad I am trading it in before any rust becomes an issue in this area and look forward to this not being an issue on the new JL. I know it was stated that air would be trapped under the hood causing heat issues and this hood flutter. The new latches lock the hood tighter and the vents help relieve the pressure build up under the hood.

I am curious, if you had the issue I experienced, and these vents resolved it, would you still want to cover them up? Before I am misunderstood I want to clarify that I am not trying to argue. You don't like the looks and that is fine. We all have our individual tastes. Just curious.

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
You didn’t answer my question, but in the name of civility, I’ll answer yours:
Sorry, I didn't realise you were from Quadratec Thanks for responding to my query. I'll take my business elsewhere then.

I am not sure how your hood did not flutter. My 2015 JK hood can be seen fluttering while on the highway. I was actually upset that Jeep did not apply a vinyl protector film under the front hood lip. My rubber seal has yellow paint on it and the paint under the hood has completely worn off. When I saw this I figured this was a great place for early rust to start.

I am glad I am trading it in before any rust becomes an issue in this area and look forward to this not being an issue on the new JL. I know it was stated that air would be trapped under the hood causing heat issues and this hood flutter. The new latches lock the hood tighter and the vents help relieve the pressure build up under the hood.

I am curious, if you had the issue I experienced, and these vents resolved it, would you still want to cover them up? Before I am misunderstood I want to clarify that I am not trying to argue. You don't like the looks and that is fine. We all have our individual tastes. Just curious.
I do appreciate intelligent questions.

So why doesn't my hood flutter even without the rubber seal? Probably the same reason why your seal has paint overspray on it and mine doesn't. Jeep isn't known for quality control. Resolved Pentastar ticking issues aside, just google "jk driver side low heat" or "jk engine block sand" and you'll come across a notorious issue that a lot of Jeeps still have.

As for whether I'd want the vents if my hood fluttered... no. I'd just replace the stretchy rubber latches with one of many nice aftermarket ones. They look better than the stock ones.

Those vents are good on a Lambo... Not on every Wrangler. Should have made it an option for those who want to pay for the extra complicated panel work.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ahh OK I read it too quickly and did not register the part of you removing the rubber seal. My hood flutter did not bother me. It was minimal. On the highway I would notice the hood flutter a small bit at times. I thought nothing of it until I saw the paint worn. By that time it was too late as it is a thin coat under there with no clear coat.

This time I will be checking under the hood for any signs of wear though and will remove that seal or put a protective film in place.
Sponsored