Sponsored

which LED light location will give least wind noise?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
So I wanted to get some opinions on which locations would give the least wind noise? above window light bar? A pillar mounts to side of front window? or on front bumper?
Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
So I wanted to get some opinions on which locations would give the least wind noise? above window light bar? A pillar mounts to side of front window? or on front bumper?
Above windshield will give the most amount of noise by far. I’ve never had a pillar lights as this will be my first Jeep but I have had a windshield mount on my truck before and it was extremely noisy. I’ve also had one mounted on push bar on front of truck and never heard noises from it. Someone else may be able to comment on the A-pillar ones.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I have the ACE mounts near the pillars and all is quiet.

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had all the locations on my JK through out the various builds I did to that Jeep, here are my opinions.

Above Winshield.. I had a Rigid single row 50. Wind noise wasn't bad, but it was there when the windows were down.

A Pilar.. I had Rigid D2s. They didn't make any appreciable noise.

Bumper.. I had D2s on the bumper also, no noise at all. FYI this was also the most practical location by far. I'll never do A pilar or over windshield light bars again.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had all the locations on my JK through out the various builds I did to that Jeep, here are my opinions.

Above Winshield.. I had a Rigid single row 50. Wind noise wasn't bad, but it was there when the windows were down.

A Pilar.. I had Rigid D2s. They didn't make any appreciable noise.

Bumper.. I had D2s on the bumper also, no noise at all. FYI this was also the most practical location by far. I'll never do A pilar or over windshield light bars again.
Can you explain why bumper was the most practical? I thought a-pillar would be great as it is higher up to allow the light to go a farther distance.

Sponsored

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I had the Rigid mounts on the JK that didn't allow the lights to rotate. It looks like most of the JL a pillar brackets allow you to rotate the lights which may make them a better idea. The issue I had was, yes the lights were higher, but the hood prevented the light beam from hitting the ground close to the Jeep. I only go on beach roads and dirt roads at low speed, so I like to see what's close to me, not half a mile down the road.

Also, this mount location caused the hood to be a giant reflector (my JK was black maybe thisade it worse?). That wasn't the end of the world but it was annoying.

The roof mounted light bar was fun for a week, but it's not practical or legal almost anywhere to blast the world with 20k lumens. I used it once for a practical purpose when someone smashed into a distribution pole and the lineman we're out at night trying to work on it.

I took the D2s off the a pillar and put them on the bumper when I put the LODs on and I was able to angle them slightly to act as spreader lights. This provided far better positioning that allowed me to use them as I wanted for close range lighting. I did the same on the JL with the Mopar lights. It's my preferred location.

After having all the LEDs I could ever want I figured out I didn't really need to light up 1/2 mile down the road. My feelings would probably be different if I was driving alone through the desert, but I'm not.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I had the Rigid mounts on the JK that didn't allow the lights to rotate. It looks like most of the JL a pillar brackets allow you to rotate the lights which may make them a better idea. The issue I had was, yes the lights were higher, but the hood prevented the light beam from hitting the ground close to the Jeep. I only go on beach roads and dirt roads at low speed, so I like to see what's close to me, not half a mile down the road.

Also, this mount location caused the hood to be a giant reflector (my JK was black maybe thisade it worse?). That wasn't the end of the world but it was annoying.

The roof mounted light bar was fun for a week, but it's not practical or legal almost anywhere to blast the world with 20k lumens. I used it once for a practical purpose when someone smashed into a distribution pole and the lineman we're out at night trying to work on it.

I took the D2s off the a pillar and put them on the bumper when I put the LODs on and I was able to angle them slightly to act as spreader lights. This provided far better positioning that allowed me to use them as I wanted for close range lighting. I did the same on the JL with the Mopar lights. It's my preferred location.

After having all the LEDs I could ever want I figured out I didn't really need to light up 1/2 mile down the road. My feelings would probably be different if I was driving alone through the desert, but I'm not.
Thanks for the info. So looks like a-pillars would be best for spots as they may not reflect off the hood as much. But good ol’ bumper mounts are best for flood situations. I was hoping to do a-pillar ones as I was hoping they would light up the side as well since they will be further back on the Jeep but now I am a bit worried about having them reflect off the hood.

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well what are the situations where you think you need additional lighting? That will really drive what/where you need lights. If you just want lights because lights, then put them anywhere you want. The only noise issue comes with the giant 50s from my experience.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well what are the situations where you think you need additional lighting? That will really drive what/where you need lights. If you just want lights because lights, then put them anywhere you want. The only noise issue comes with the giant 50s from my experience.
I am looking for something for mostly back roads/up to camp/etc where blind hills and sharp turns make it difficult at night. Coming down a hill just to go back up another one, the headlights become useless as they are pointing at the bottom of the hill and can’t see up it. Might pick up a set of a-pillar mounts for now and once I pick up an aftermarket bumper, move them to there. That’s the best thing about having a Jeep. So many options and customization. This will be my first Jeep and can’t believe the options compared to my truck.
Sponsored