Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
I did the same as per the installation instructions doc provided by RC. Can some one please confirm which way is correct?

5AFED86B-BAE3-4C27-B993-4E87320D327F.png
for one flip that out of the way of rocks or it will be destroyed!!!! two its RC come on
Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
After having my rough country steering stabiles on for a little while I have decided to remove it and go back to stock......way too much compression on the crappy soft bushing has mine looking ugly. I also began to prefer the original driving dynamics.

Also because the poor design, the inner sleeve acts like a crush tube effectively locking it in the bushing after tourqe down to spec.

I even removed my bracket assembly and used a pitman arm/crowbar/rubber mallet and still couldn’t get the bolt loose, had to order another bracket from Mopar.

That was my first and last Rough Country product, If I ever decide to mod I’ll just opt for the king as it looks much better quality.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi all.... For those that don't know...I am one of the new Jeep owners. Copmplained heavily about the wandering and twitchiness of the JLUR when I first got it. I was coming from a BMW Z4 Roadster so I knew I had some things to get used to. I have had my JLUR for 6 days...and have racked up 700+ miles. During that time I have noticed a consistent and continuing change in the steering for the better.

I am in agreement that what ever is happening to improve the steering is based on things just getting loosened up or worn down a bit. I am running 35"s with a 2" lift and the more I drive it the better it gets.

Miles 30 - 100 were like glass - probably due to the tire dressing and over inflation 42-44 psi.
Miles 100 - 250 - lowered the PSI to 39 at 68 degrees F (Nitrogen filled 42 at 80 degrees F). slight improvement
Miles 250-500 - the darn thing started to feel more stable and wandering was decreasing. Less input required during high speed 70+ driving.
Miles 500--700 - its feels tight and responsive with little to no wandering.
Miles 700+ currently dropping tire pressure down to 37psi @68F to see if there is any difference. The heat in SocCal...has the pressures climbing to 39 or 40 psi at 80F.

I live in a zone where the swing in AM morning commute traffic starts at 55F and by mid day is about 85F. So the 35s tend to increase pressure as the day goes on. But I am not seeing any significant changes to driving characteristics during this pressure change. Which lead me back to ... the darn thing is just breaking in or I am.

I will have it for another week to get me over the 1500K mark and then back to dealer for the free "suspension/chassis" tightening??? Oil change, rebalancing and alignment...should be interesting to see what happens.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
There is some truth to the "break in," I think. As I've stated, I have not been having issues with the steering - certainly not to the extent of being in a wrestling match with the wheel. It drives like a small truck, as I've said. I'm over 1300 miles now, and I can say that it keeps getting better and better, even though I had no complaint at first.

To the people having issues: of course, your dealership is always an option, but I would wait on applying aftermarket corrections and all that. You may end up doing more harm than good. Wait for the thousand-mile mark, air down the tires a bit but no more than the recommended on your door, and see what happens before tampering with stuff. Just my thought.

Pn221

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I installed the rough county steering stabilizer and I removed it after 200 miles.

When I go over a rough patch of road or a railroad track the steering vibrates so violently I almost lost control and my watch was almost shaken out of my wrist.

I double checked the torque settings and and it was fine so i put the original back on and the violent steering vibration went away on same patch of road.

Sponsored

Borgs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SPORT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all.... For those that don't know...I am one of the new Jeep owners. Copmplained heavily about the wandering and twitchiness of the JLUR when I first got it. I was coming from a BMW Z4 Roadster so I knew I had some things to get used to. I have had my JLUR for 6 days...and have racked up 700+ miles. During that time I have noticed a consistent and continuing change in the steering for the better.

I am in agreement that what ever is happening to improve the steering is based on things just getting loosened up or worn down a bit. I am running 35"s with a 2" lift and the more I drive it the better it gets.

Miles 30 - 100 were like glass - probably due to the tire dressing and over inflation 42-44 psi.
Miles 100 - 250 - lowered the PSI to 39 at 68 degrees F (Nitrogen filled 42 at 80 degrees F). slight improvement
Miles 250-500 - the darn thing started to feel more stable and wandering was decreasing. Less input required during high speed 70+ driving.
Miles 500--700 - its feels tight and responsive with little to no wandering.
Miles 700+ currently dropping tire pressure down to 37psi @68F to see if there is any difference. The heat in SocCal...has the pressures climbing to 39 or 40 psi at 80F.

I live in a zone where the swing in AM morning commute traffic starts at 55F and by mid day is about 85F. So the 35s tend to increase pressure as the day goes on. But I am not seeing any significant changes to driving characteristics during this pressure change. Which lead me back to ... the darn thing is just breaking in or I am.

I will have it for another week to get me over the 1500K mark and then back to dealer for the free "suspension/chassis" tightening??? Oil change, rebalancing and alignment...should be interesting to see what happens.
Just came to this thread to report this exact statement. Xeon nailed it. Both my wife and I feel steering is getting better every time we drive, so I'm just going to ride the issue out and see what happens, I would highly recommend to never go below the recommended 37 PSI on tire pressure.

As per Kal-Tire "The 37 PSI number indicates the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support the Jeeps maximum load-carrying capacity. Any less, and you’ll see poor fuel economy and handling as well as premature wear from too much flexing and tire overloading."

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Mine just has good days and bad days...seems like the electric steering is adaptive like the transmissions, but I have no sourcing or idea if that’s true. Just a feeling, but my 3-4 aired down beach drives a week don’t seem to be helping as it always is a bit weird after driving at 18 psi to the station and leaving with 36-38. Wish I had a more linear improvement like you!

However, it’s s luxury car compared to my 88’ wrangler! I’m just hyper sensitive when it comes to steering and suspension being a car enthusiast primarily.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The drifting sensation is real and I had It. I have the JLU Rubi and have had multiple Jeeps, Toyotas with lifts/tires, also Stock ones. Keep in mind it is the year 2018 and these are now $50,000 rides with much technology and research put into them. Some on the forum have reported no drifting issues and that is great news. Mine drifted and it really took away from the experience and I was concerned. If you are having this issue please consider checking your tire pressure and allightment as others have suggested.

I Just installed this Friday:
BF Goodwrich MT 37x12.50x17. Psi adjusted from 39 to 34( this made a big difference for me)
On my Stock Rubicon Rims
Rubicon Express 2” Lift
Alightment also completed

Try this before buying a steering stabilizer. Don’t get me wrong they can help-but may not be needed.

My JLU Rubi now drives absolutely perfect. Just hit 600 miles. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Have not fully flexed yet to see the results- but no rubbing seen/found.

1D35A345-EC68-40A8-B0A6-B1B1CD30EFCC.jpeg

stevenc

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
The drifting sensation is real and I had It. I have the JLU Rubi and have had multiple Jeeps, Toyotas with lifts/tires, also Stock ones. Keep in mind it is the year 2018 and these are now $50,000 rides with much technology and research put into them. Some on the forum have reported no drifting issues and that is great news. Mine drifted and it really took away from the experience and I was concerned. If you are having this issue please consider checking your tire pressure and allightment as others have suggested.

I Just installed this Friday:
BF Goodwrich MT 37x12.50x17. Psi adjusted from 39 to 34( this made a big difference for me)
On my Stock Rubicon Rims
Rubicon Express 2” Lift
Alightment also completed

Try this before buying a steering stabilizer. Don’t get me wrong they can help-but may not be needed.

My JLU Rubi now drives absolutely perfect. Just hit 600 miles. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Have not fully flexed yet to see the results- but no rubbing seen/found.

1D35A345-EC68-40A8-B0A6-B1B1CD30EFCC.jpeg
Did the alignment reveal it was out initially?

4x4DETOUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR - Ocean Blue (picked up 4/17/18!)
Did the alignment reveal it was out initially?
I'm guessing the alignment was done after the lift was installed as required. So the alignment reports wouldn't have shown how it came from the factory. That's my assumption based on @cmcclintock original post.

Sponsored

4x4DETOUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR - Ocean Blue (picked up 4/17/18!)
Follow-up from my post #248. After driving it this weekend, about 40 highway miles. The properly balanced tires did seem to help with the excessive over correcting to stay straight in the lane. Still seemed to wander more than what I would say is typical. At least now I could drive with one hand and with my elbow on the window frame and feel comfortable.

I'm still considering having the alignment checked. At this point for my own peace of mind. But, I'll be taking to an independent vehicle shop, not the dealer. If I go that route, I'll definitely post results.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I have installed one and it installed per their instructions the same way as the RC one does.

Honestly, I had no issues with the stock stabilizer. Also, the stock stabilizer is way beefier than the Skyjacker one that replaced it. Noticed no real appreciable difference in feel or performance with the Skyjacker one installed.

Unless one is actually having a steering problem, I would not recommend dumping the factory stabilizer prematurely.

Les-Boots

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I picked up a Rough Country Stabilizer, installed as per directions.

Wandering solved and it feels much more stable.

We had a little over 600 Miles on the OEM stabilizer, maybe it would have broken in a bit more over time or maybe not?

I can say my wife, who wouldn't normally notice this kind of change, commented about the improved steering. Take that for what it's worth.

I have the OEM stabilizer boxed up and can swap it back in if this experiment goes awry.

Happy Trails

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
My Sahara has All Terrain tires on it. I wonder if a set of Michelin LTX/MS All season tires would help with the drift. I've run them on all of my pick-ups and suv's and loved them I also had them on my JK 2 door and they were great on the interstates. My new Sahara JL, not so much. Thoughts.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
No, I think you have that backwards. How would a less stiff stabilizer shock lead to less wandering?
Because the stiff stabilizers will reduce the "return to center" feel of the steering which is exactly the problem we've already got. This issue is either related to the steering being tight and needing a break in, OR it's due to improper alignment from the factory. Tires and steering stabilizers are not going to fix this.
Sponsored