CO Ketchup Build

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
@mushroomax How was running Schofield? I have done Crystal Mill/Lead King a couple times and hiked up to Devils Punchbowl (where it looks sketchiest).
Sponsored

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I've started to get into the Rear Lower Control Arm brackets at the frame so have some concerns there. Started looking at reinforcing that area or going with beefier brackets. Does anyone have recommendations?

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rear LCA frame brackets

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rear LCA at frame

I like the Rusty's LCA frame skids but it doesn't address the poor welds from the factory. You'd just be bolting to something that still has a chance of peeling off the frame. Also found these Barnes 4WD weld on brackets that look like they could work, 3/16 thickness versus the factory 10 gauge I think. Anyone else make a bracket out there that's application specific to the JL and handles a 2-1/2 joint? Thoughts, advice appreciated

Rusty's bolt on:

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-rear-lower-control-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jl-wrangler.html

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rustys Rear LCA Frame Skids

Barnes 4WD weld on:

https://www.barnes4wd.com/jl-rear-frame-lower-control-arm-brackets-.html

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Barnes LCA Frame side

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Also discovered I've now become the victim of the all too familiar stock bumper deflection into the body on the passenger side. I really want to hang onto this stock rear bumper as long as possible so Rusty's rear fascia kit looks like it fixes this problem but taking a closer look at my beauty mark, it seems like the kit doesn't cover that high? Any thoughts on how I should address this besides going the aftermarket bumper route?

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rear stock bumper issue

Rusty's Rear Fascia Kit:

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rusty-s-rear-fascia-cover-kit-jl-wrangler.html

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rusty's Rear Fascia Cover Kit

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
@mushroomax How was running Schofield? I have done Crystal Mill/Lead King a couple times and hiked up to Devils Punchbowl (where it looks sketchiest).
I did it with the JL completely stock and again in it's current configuration and felt I had an easier time stock since I wasn't as wide (1.75 wheel spacers now). There are some really narrow spots and with it being your typical Colorado pass trail of course you have a mountain on one side and steep drop on the other but if you just take your time it's like crawling anywhere else.

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Rear bumps showed up unexpectedly this weekend. Dunno when I'll get to them since I still don't have the 220v issue in my garage addressed. It's either wait till a friends garage has an open spot for 1/2 half a days work, or get everything set up and tacked in place here, then trailer it over for a final burn in, or I may just find myself in the backyard lugging a cookie sheet around in the dirt like @Headbarcode with some warm weather on the horizon.

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rear Fox JL bump stops

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I did it with the JL completely stock and again in it's current configuration and felt I had an easier time stock since I wasn't as wide (1.75 wheel spacers now). There are some really narrow spots and with it being your typical Colorado pass trail of course you have a mountain on one side and steep drop on the other but if you just take your time it's like crawling anywhere else.
Thanks. It really seemed like just that one spot by the Punchbowl at the top that might be the worst. I watched a Lexus GX and was pretty sketched out for him but he did not seem to care!

I was looking at the Rusty's rear fascia as well but not pulled the trigger. I was not sure if it would still fit with factory steel bumper and had not seen anyone who has tried it. Only suggestion on the LCA is from Rancho. I am not running them yet, but will get these so far from what I have seen.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rancho-...opqUbfvkLfh0VAirDf9tqMzdh_sLRJxsaAk-iEALw_wcB

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Rear bumps showed up unexpectedly this weekend. Dunno when I'll get to them since I still don't have the 220v issue in my garage addressed. It's either wait till a friends garage has an open spot for 1/2 half a days work, or get everything set up and tacked in place here, then trailer it over for a final burn in, or I may just find myself in the backyard lugging a cookie sheet around in the dirt like @Headbarcode with some warm weather on the horizon.

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Rear Fox JL bump stops
Don't forget my unpadded plywood creeper. I'm shittin in tall cotton over here! 😆

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 20211002_105221

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Made some progress on the rear bump install this week:

Tearing down stock configuration:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Stock bumps

OEM material removed with a cutoff wheel:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build stock bump removal

Measured and drilled 1/8in pilot hole. This is located 3/8in inboard from center of large hole already present:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Pilot Hole

Continued to follow the manufactures directions and used a 2-5/8in hole saw to accept the aftermarket Fox bump can. I used the cheapest I could find at Lowes which was a Lenox brand and it had just barely enough bite to finish the second hole:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Hole Saw

Mocked up and tacked in place for clearance check:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Driver stuff, trackbar issue

Passenger side is good to go. Above you can see the issue on the drivers side with the bump getting into the trackbar mount. Rookie move forgetting trackbars prevent identical arcs with full stuff and droop of driver and passenger side...surprised Fox didn't mention this in the directions.

Ended up removing and re-tacking, canting the bump can 5 degrees outward with an angle finder, choked up as much as possible on the bump stop body, ditched the 2in aluminum bump pads that came with the 2.5" lift, and checked for clearance:
Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build clearancin

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build full stuff

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build final mock-u

Not perfect with that inboard portion of the bump can lip not fully flush with the frame and right now I'm not fine with that because I lost 1/4" uptravel on that side. There is some room in there to elongate the hole more outboard, maybe machine down the outboard portion of the bump stop can lip to get that 1/4" back...still thinking things over before moving forward.

Throwing more info in here because I searched and couldn't find much on rear installs. So for those that may go this route I am running a 2.5" lift, paper says the rear was only lifted 1". The lift came with 2" bump stop pads for the rear that I have now removed. Fully compressed this product installed is 4.5" from can lip to bottom of bump stop strike pad. Add roughly another 2 inches with the bump stop fully charged (or 1.854"). Fully choked up, you need a minimum of 1.75" from the top of the highest lock ring to the bottom of the orange bump stop bearing cap. Overall, I believe the threaded body allows for at least 1" of vertical adjustment for fine tuning.

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Bump Stop Dim

Sponsored

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
After talking to people smarter than me on this I re-adjusted the drivers side bump, taking out the 5 degree lean inboard and clocked the bump can lip flat with the frame (per instructions), then trimmed part of the track bar mount fin to help with clearance at full bump. I've been driving around like this for over a month charged ~65psi, the rig has seen some light duty trail time, everything is working fine. Am I concerned about taking a piece out of the trackbar without adding some gusseting? Certainly, but for now I'm running it as is.
I trailered the JL to a friends shop, and proceeded to blow out the frame on the first mig pass, so cleaned everything up and watched him pulse tig it. I don't think I got too carried away with a flap disc on initial mockup to justify the mig blowout....the frame is 1/8th in places so who knows.

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711052971

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711074985

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711088001

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711109557

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Did some exploring @ Capitol Reef National Park. "Looped the Fold" and checked out some other areas, highly recommend if you haven't been.

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711398030

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711418093

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711433836

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711448456

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711461142

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711476724

Went on a couple hikes, Headquarters Canyon and a couple other miscellaneous pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711556742

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711574076

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711589599

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711606614

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642711623670

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Did I tell you I like books? Got these for Christmas, currently planning a 3 month trip to Alaska starting this June. That should justify beadlocks and a pull-pal, right?

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build 1642712532271

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I look forward to your write up from Alaska! 👍🏻

OP
OP
mushroomax

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Made it to the Anchorage area after leaving from Colorado Springs the first week of May. Took in some sights along the way including multi-day stops in a few areas including Glacier and Banff National Parks. US/CAN border crossings were a breeze at Carway and Alcan, no issues.
The Jeep did ok but gulped around $1,200.00 in fuel and I'm dealing with severe bump-steer issues. I noticed this issue slightly after installing an aftermarket drag-link but now it's so bad I two-hand-white-knuckle-it every time I see anything in the road so looking to source a stock drag-link while I'm out here. Anyway, on to the pics:

Mount Rushmore:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Mt. Rushmore

Devils Tower:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Formation

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Devils Tower

Glacier National Park:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Glacier NP

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Alberta

Downtown Banff:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Downtown Banff

Lake Louise:

Jeep Wrangler JL CO Ketchup Build Lake Louise