Welp, my windshield cracked after just 1200 miles

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
After doing some reading, it seems that this is a somewhat common problem. It actually looks like I'm lucky I made it 1200 miles without a crack. Waiting to talk to state farm tomorrow, the only good thing is state farm covers windshield replacement at 0 cost. I'm just hoping it's a OEM/Jeep brand windshield. I like my cartoon Jeep and accoustic lamination.
Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Welcome to owning a Jeep :D Flat windshields crack easy. I went through 3 in my TJ. Just cracked my first one after 6 years in my JKUR. Didn't mind it since it made it that long...

Make sure you ask for the OEM...they might try to give you a regular glass one...it's about half the cost.

I just replaced my JK one. $100 deductible...choice of either. Had looked at price sans deductible...with graphics was around $450...none was around $200...

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
After doing some reading, it seems that this is a somewhat common problem. It actually looks like I'm lucky I made it 1200 miles without a crack. Waiting to talk to state farm tomorrow, the only good thing is state farm covers windshield replacement at 0 cost. I'm just hoping it's a OEM/Jeep brand windshield. I like my cartoon Jeep and accoustic lamination.
The only replacement acoustical windshield is the OEM one. There is no aftermarket "accoustical" one yet. Safelite is State Farm friendly. All you do is CALL (do not do internet ordering) Safelite and tell them you need an "acoustical windshield for a 2018 Wrangler JL". They know the drill. They will order the OEM and call you when it is in and come over and install unless you want to go to them.

Here is a pic of the OEM/ Mopar acoustic windshield for the JL/JLU. It displays clearly the Mopar part# and the word "Acoustic".

JLacoustical glass.JPG

Pic courtesy of @iflyimpilot

Last edited:
OP
OP

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Thanks. I'll try to update once I contact state farm

Sponsored

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
The only replacement acoustical windshield is the OEM one. There is no aftermarket "accoustical" one yet. Safelite is State Farm friendly. All you do is CALL (do not do internet ordering) Safelite and tell them you need an "acoustical windshield for a 2018 Wrangler JL". They know the drill. They will order the OEM and call you when it is in and come over and install unless you want to go to them.

Here is a pic of the OEM/ Mopar acoustic windshield for the JL/JLU. It displays clearly the Mopar part# and the word "Acoustic".

JLacoustical glass.JPG

That picture shows what looks like the lower right corner. On my JLUR, there is a cartoon Jeep in that corner, how come your picture doesn't have it, being OEM?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
That picture shows what looks like the lower right corner. On my JLUR, there is a cartoon Jeep in that corner, how come your picture doesn't have it, being OEM?
@myfirstjeep
The "cartoon Jeep" is on the passenger side and the OEM part#, etc. is on driver's side of the windshield.

uuu.JPG

Last edited:

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Mine cracked at 400 miles. I am still waiting on the replacement from safelite. They said it may take a while to get a windshield since it is so new.

OP
OP

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Mine cracked at 400 miles. I am still waiting on the replacement from safelite. They said it may take a while to get a windshield since it is so new.
Can you change installers? I went with glass America and they're getting me OEM glass. My appointment for install is Wednesday, made the appointment last Wednesday

Sponsored

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Can you change installers? I went with glass America and they're getting me OEM glass. My appointment for install is Wednesday, made the appointment last Wednesday
Well, as luck would have it safelite called me this morning and said they got the windshield in, so I should be good to go.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I too have little to no glass deductible.

What I'm wondering though is *if* my windshield's glass breaks, will my insurer be willing to replace it with the new Gorilla Glass, and if so, at how much out of pocket for me.

I don't have the acoustic glass (I don't think?) on my JLU Sahara. Does the Gorilla glass come in acoustic? It's warranty notwithstanding, does it "work," and if so how well?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have my windshield on order with dealer via safelite/geico for replacement. I called safelite up and asked if they would replace with this one and the answer was straight NO.
They will replace with same part number.
Someone else can try, may be they convince safeltite.
But what if you were willing to pay the fair market difference in price Ash?
Sponsored