Sponsored

Just got home from Bronco event...

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Call me naïve, and it's not a Bronco thing as JKs and JLs were this way too compared to the TJ, but why not just have the seating position high enough that you can judge where the front wheels are instead of adding cameras that are likely to go out at the worst possible moment?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Call me naïve, and it's not a Bronco thing as JKs and JLs were this way too compared to the TJ, but why not just have the seating position high enough that you can judge where the front wheels are instead of adding cameras that are likely to go out at the worst possible moment?
The massive hood is a problem Offroad, but that doesn’t mean the cameras aren’t cool.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The massive hood is a problem Offroad, but that doesn’t mean the cameras aren’t cool.
They are cool, but imagine the JL had no mirrors, just the rear view camera; how would you back up when as happens so often you just see static on the head end display?

Same with the cameras, they seem an unnecessary complication for an issue that could have been solved by having the seating position a little higher so you could see where your fenders (and thus wheels) actually are.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The original Bronco had a huge flat hood also. The designers might have been paying homage to the original? Ford knows the Bronco hood is huge and visibility would be a issue. They have 2 solutions to help with visibility. The gun sites or anchors for the limb risers help with identifying where the front of the hood is. The 360 degree camera system is a nice solution. Definitely a welcomed feature when there is no spotter available.

Many other cars and trucks already have had 360 cameras. Personally I would welcome a 360 degree camera system like the Bronco's in a Wrangler.

No matter how we feel about technology it is here to stay. We might as well embrace it because it's not going anywhere. One thing is certain, there is more to come in the Wrangler's future. Hopefully these new technologies are more useful and less of a nuisance.

I wonder if the mechanically simple and smaller TJ will eventually be the most desirable Wrangler in the future? Or maybe even the JK even though it started growing in size. The JK is still pretty simple and without a lot of the technology the JL has. Kind of how the last air-cooled 911s are extremely desirable in today's used Porsche market.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are cool, but imagine the JL had no mirrors, just the rear view camera; how would you back up when as happens so often you just see static on the head end display?

Same with the cameras, they seem an unnecessary complication for an issue that could have been solved by having the seating position a little higher so you could see where your fenders (and thus wheels) actually are.
You would turn around and look over your shoulders like everyone used to do. Actually, I still always turn and look while backing up. I never got used to relying on just a back up camera.

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
You would turn around and look over your shoulders like everyone used to do. Actually, I still always turn and look while backing up. I never got used to relying on just a back up camera.
I never did either with my wife's altima when I drove it. My wife didn't get used to it with her altima. Then we got a cherokee and she used it more but I definitely didn't very often.

My 2021 JL's camera quality is insane though. It's ridiculously clear with huge angles.

I still can't get over the goofiness of its looks, and I love classic broncos. I think most people who are in the market for either wranglers or broncos are looking for full-time mall crawlers or daily drivers they can offroad with, because a small % of households can afford an additional "just for fun" vehicle. And if you're daily driving it, you have to enjoy driving it and owning it and I think looks play a substantial role. And I just get disappointed looking at it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

But it’s not either or. Just because the hood is bad doesn’t mean the cameras aren’t good. Just because you have the camera doesn’t mean you can’t use the mirrors or look out the window. If the camera breaks you don’t lose anything.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Two things in the video will keep me from ever owning a Bronco. The fact that with sway bars disconnected it still had two wheels rocking back and forth in the air over that one obstacle (WTF Ford), and the fact that every time she wanted to do a different obstacle she was punching buttons to activate electro-mechanical servos in the vehicle. Talk about a service nightmare.

I'm an old fart, so it's easier for me to say this, but our Wrangler will be the last on-road/off-road vehicle I'll ever purchase. I'm still not happy about the electro-mechanical front axle disconnect, but I can live with it until I can swap it for one with locking hubs, and we've already got mechanical sway bar disconnects.

More electro-mechanical servos controlling everything the vehicle does just screams more chances for out-of-the-blue catastrophic failure on the trail or on the road. Mechanical systems usually give you plenty of warning when things are going bad, and time to service them yourself before failure.

Best,
-Tim

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never did either with my wife's altima when I drove it. My wife didn't get used to it with her altima. Then we got a cherokee and she used it more but I definitely didn't very often.

My 2021 JL's camera quality is insane though. It's ridiculously clear with huge angles.

I still can't get over the goofiness of its looks, and I love classic broncos. I think most people who are in the market for either wranglers or broncos are looking for full-time mall crawlers or daily drivers they can offroad with, because a small % of households can afford an additional "just for fun" vehicle. And if you're daily driving it, you have to enjoy driving it and owning it and I think looks play a substantial role. And I just get disappointed looking at it.
The back up cameras for the JL must have some inconsistencies? My '19 JLR had good clarity in daylight. It sucked at night. Very grainy and hardly any usable visibility.

I use and rely on the rear view and side mirrors 95% of the time in every car I own. I only really use the back up camera when I back up to really close to low objects. Or while parallel parking in a very tight parking spot.

The Bronco hood is HUGE. It reminded me of a ping pong table or something? :LOL:

Last edited:

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Two things in the video will keep me from ever owning a Bronco. The fact that with sway bars disconnected it still had two wheels rocking back and forth in the air over that one obstacle (WTF Ford), and the fact that every time she wanted to do a different obstacle she was punching buttons to activate electro-mechanical servos in the vehicle. Talk about a service nightmare.

I'm an old fart, so it's easier for me to say this, but our Wrangler will be the last on-road/off-road vehicle I'll ever purchase. I'm still not happy about the electro-mechanical front axle disconnect, but I can live with it until I can swap it for one with locking hubs, and we've already got mechanical sway bar disconnects.

More electro-mechanical servos controlling everything the vehicle does just screams more chances for out-of-the-blue catastrophic failure on the trail or on the road. Mechanical systems usually give you plenty of warning when things are going bad, and time to service them yourself before failure.

Best,
-Tim
Keep in mind it was a demonstration for people to see the different things the Bronco can do.
It’s not that they HAD to change stuff in the dials. It was a course to show what you might do in a situation and to showcase the tech.
The wheel up was to show the sta-bar disconnect. It was made that way on purpose. Normally on the trail you’d never touch the dials. And if you don’t like the GOAT modes don’t use them. Simply press the lockers you want.
As far as a stock JL handling the boxes and getting a wheel up; check out the TFL video of Tommy on the trail in Colorado. He started off telling us that with the SFA he wouldn’t be lifting any tires but as soon as he got to something other than gravel it was on two wheels and rocking back and forth.
I don’t see why people can’t call that out too.
Folks always find fault with the other guy, whatever it may be, and they never fault their own choice of vehicle or other product they bought or like.
I guess this is a Jeep forum so it’s to be expected.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Folks always find fault with the other guy, whatever it may be, and they never fault their own choice of vehicle or other product they bought or like.
Interesting TTown your signature doesn't say what you're driving . . . Just sayin'

Best,
-Tim

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind it was a demonstration for people to see the different things the Bronco can do.
It’s not that they HAD to change stuff in the dials. It was a course to show what you might do in a situation and to showcase the tech.
The wheel up was to show the sta-bar disconnect. It was made that way on purpose. Normally on the trail you’d never touch the dials. And if you don’t like the GOAT modes don’t use them. Simply press the lockers you want.

As far as a stock JL handling the boxes and getting a wheel up; check out the TFL video of Tommy on the trail in Colorado. He started off telling us that with the SFA he wouldn’t be lifting any tires but as soon as he got to something other than gravel it was on two wheels and rocking back and forth.
I don’t see why people can’t call that out too.
Your right. I did the course twice, back to back because I wanted to try the 2 door and 4 door. The first driver should be fired. The first driver was all confused about some of the functions when I did the test ride on that course. He did not use the sway bar disconnect. I asked him about it and he admitted he forgot to engage and disengage them. He forgot one or two more features. I realized that when I got into the 2 door with the second driver. The first drive who forgot to engage some of the features drove the course with no problems. The second driver covered everything and showed how the features worked.

I will probably get a video of the test drives. Ford actually video recorded every demo drive if you scanned your pass. They are supposed to email me a link to my personal video. That first driver should be worried his boss will see it. :LOL:

I wonder if the sway bar disconnect on the fly is a marketing gimmick? You would probably disconnect the sway bar "before" going over the obstacle. Not mid way into it while your over it.

Last edited:

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
Yeah, that’s going to be an important distinction. I fully believe this was simply a defective CV joint and likely not a widespread concern. However, while I believe the IFS will not be an impediment to off-road “performance” for most people, if it proves to be a reliability issue for off-reading, that will be a huge advantage for Jeep’s very robust SFA.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ford appears to be treating the whole swaybar “dislocation” as a “hey, look at me” feature.

Likely, it is a marketing gimmick to get people to associate IFS with the “dislocation” action, so we don’t get hung up on the inherent limitations of IFS.
Sponsored