Sponsored

Track bar sheared off at the weld. I feel like I’m cursed with my new JL

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Damn. My commute is nothing but 70mph curves. I really can't have something like this happening. If this isn't a one-time freak accident, it better be a thorough and quick recall.
Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
That is really bad. After reading about people complaining about welds on their new JL I went to see them for myself. Some welds on the Rubicon looked bad, almost like they skimped on some bracket areas. I compared the same weld locations on multiple Jeeps and the welds were not consistent. Those welds in your pics look like what I was seeing too.

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
So sorry and really glad nobody got hurt.

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Wow you were super lucky! When was your Jeep built? Be interesting to make a list of people with issues and the date Jeep was built. My Jeep has bad wind noise, and the freedom panels are. I where near aligned, but it’s a far cry from what you got.

Sponsored

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Unbelievable! What a scary situation! I’m glad you’re okay! Those photos are absolutely frightening..keep us updated...smdh

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Thanks everyone. Still in disbelief with the situation. Dealer just sent some pics over.[/QUOTE]

Man... That is crazy. I cannot believe that weld will just deteriorated that way. They really have to check these things before they leave the plant.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Damn. My commute is nothing but 70mph curves. I really can't have something like this happening. If this isn't a one-time freak accident, it better be a thorough and quick recall.

Same. It is my daily as well. As of right now. This is the only one I've seen like this that I know off. Hoping as more come up we can get it recalled immediately just for a quick QC check up.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Same. It is my daily as well. As of right now. This is the only one I've seen like this that I know off. Hoping as more come up we can get it recalled immediately just for a quick QC check up.
That would be wise, unless FCA is interested in a shitload of undodgeable lawsuit payouts.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
OMG! So glad you, and the others in cars around you are OK! That had to be so scary.
How does something like this get past quality control? I always thought auto manufacturers X-rayed welds to inspect them for integrity.

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
So glad you are ok.

You know, I crawled under my JL when I picked it up at the dealership and looked at some of the welds. Those that I looked at seemed fine, some pitting, but nothing alarming.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I would not have pegged that weld as ready to fail. I mean, I'm not an expert. And I didn't inspect every weld. I was just looking for obvious issues--gaps, pits, rusting, etc., based on some other pics and comments on this forum regarding poor welds.

How could anyone have spotted that, without experience with welding? Makes you realize that we are really at the mercy of FCA's quality control. And that is not comforting after seeing issues like this.

Again, glad you and yours are ok after that. Keep us posted on developments.

sisoul

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wow those pics are crazy. Glad your okay, I was on some mountain roads the other day, I probably would have died if that broke.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
So glad you are ok.

You know, I crawled under my JL when I picked it up at the dealership and looked at some of the welds. Those that I looked at seemed fine, some pitting, but nothing alarming.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I would not have pegged that weld as ready to fail. I mean, I'm not an expert. And I didn't inspect every weld. I was just looking for obvious issues--gaps, pits, rusting, etc., based on some other pics and comments on this forum regarding poor welds.

How could anyone have spotted that, without experience with welding? Makes you realize that we are really at the mercy of FCA's quality control. And that is not comforting after seeing issues like this.

Again, glad you and yours are ok after that. Keep us posted on developments.
There is a procedure for reviewing welds for quality and to have the bad welds automatically reject. It should not be that hard to determine.
Sponsored