First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This week I saw my first 100° readout on the dashboard thermometer, and the doorless folks keep on rolling in large numbers. Soon we'll be in the 110s. Last summer I saw topless/doorless Jeeps on a 118° day. How do you guys do it?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This week I saw my first 100° readout on the dashboard thermometer, and the doorless folks keep on rolling in large numbers. Soon we'll be in the 110s. Last summer I saw topless/doorless Jeeps on a 118° day. How do you guys do it?
Skin cancer and heat stroke be damned?
IDK, I no longer do it myself. Desert environments are like a dusty hair dryer in your face. In my "young and dumb" youth I did it all the time so I understand the appeal. But in certain environments, the reality and the image don't match up.

Now, the method to my madness is hard top all summer to contain dust free and reasonable temp air inside with a solid barrier between me and the sun. I ordered my Jeep so that any part that can transfer solar heat to the interior is white. Any part that doesn't is black. It's working great for me.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I was born and raised in North India where such heat is very common between the months of April and July (before the Rain Season kicks in till September). People used to be doorless and roofless the entire time these three months in their Mahindra manufactured CJs. They ultimately get used to it and don’t bat an eye. In North India, the tops and doors usually come off around March and then go back on towards the end of June for rainy season.

Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Spiderweb shade and run the AC on max for when you are stopped or in slow moving traffic.

However we dont usually break the 100 degree mark here in Atlanta.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Just enjoy it. We DD the Wrangler and an Exige in the summer, with a morning negotiation on who is driving what.

My wife doesn't have a problem in the summer, even in a suit and heels. If she can do it, you can do it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
85°F is the seasonal high for a July day here. That's more than enough.

Driving on a summer's night with the top lowered is arguably the best part of a convertible's raison dêtre, anyway.

The various "shades" lash to the roll bar, meaning my head would probably rub on the fabric. Cue the Safari top configuration for the sunniest days.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just enjoy it. We DD the Wrangler and an Exige in the summer, with a morning negotiation on who is driving what.

My wife doesn't have a problem in the summer, even in a suit and heels. If she can do it, you can do it.
118° (but...it's a dry heat :))

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Spiderweb shade and run the AC on max for when you are stopped or in slow moving traffic.

However we dont usually break the 100 degree mark here in Atlanta.
I can do 100 degrees, hell I can do 120. What I cant do is HUMIDITY!!!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
As much as I love top down and doors off, I can’t imagine doing that in Phoenix in the summer. Sacramento gets hot, but Phoenix is a whoooooole other level of hot.

We were there last summer to bring things to our daughter who just moved there. Damn! That’s heat that doesn’t let up.