Sponsored

Whenever someone calls a new or newer Wrangler "soft" or "not a real Jeep," show them the CJ5 Tuxedo Park

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Pics of a Tuxedo park in either baby blue or pink have been my go to for over a decade whenever anyone talks about Jeeps becoming "soft" or not "built like they used to be." The fact is that each Wrangler was more capable off-road than the Wrangler and CJs prior to it. I've had CJs, TJs, JKs, and now a 4xe - each one has been better than the last.

In any case, this example is probably one of the best ones on the planet. I had a "Dauntless" V6 in my 71 CJ5 and it was the best sounding engine installed in a Wrangler/CJ until the 392 was released. Fun fact, when AMC bought Jeep, they sold the tooling BACK to GM who then used it to create the 3800 series of V6 engines.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-jeep-cj5-tuxedo-park/

Tuxedo Park
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This is true. The YJ was called a ā€œyuppie jeepā€ by the purists who claimed it was getting soft.

The main issue I have with JK-and-newer jeeps is just how much theyā€™ve grown in size and weight, but it didnā€™t deter me from buying and enjoying my JLR! One day Iā€™ll own an old TJ that Iā€™ll use exclusively off-road but today ainā€™t that day. I need a good off-roader than can double as a daily.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is true. The YJ was called a ā€œyuppie jeepā€ by the purists who claimed it was getting soft.

The main issue I have with JK-and-newer jeeps is just how much theyā€™ve grown in size and weight, but it didnā€™t deter me from buying and enjoying my JLR! One day Iā€™ll own an old TJ that Iā€™ll use exclusively off-road but today ainā€™t that day. I need a good off-roader than can double as a daily.
The size has definitely changed - my CJ5 was much smaller than our 4xe and substantially smaller than a 2 door JL. Most people want a more capable vehicle and the larger sizes allow that on everything but the narrowest trails.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The size has definitely changed - my CJ5 was much smaller than our 4xe and substantially smaller than a 2 door JL. Most people want a more capable vehicle and the larger sizes allow that on everything but the narrowest trails.
My JLR feels like a giant next to stock XJs

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
It's the never-ending story... Before the current generation of Jeeps, it was "Air Conditioning!!! You kids have gotten soft!" And prior to that it was "Only pussies have power steering and power brakes on a Jeep!" And before that it was "Heater??? Momma's boy got a heater in his Jeep?"

Hell, there's no end to it. I was at a car show a looong time ago and some old codger was banging on about how the invention of the wheel was going to turn us queer. "Back in our day, we had to carry our Jeeps around on our backs! By gumbies, that's how real men did it!"

On the upside, however, we get to pass it on-- "Check out Poindexter there in his bat-tree powered Jeep! How you gonna pick up chicks in a bat-tree powered Jeep?"

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My side bar is a real Jeep, my first! It is a 1965 Tuxedo Park CJ 5! My last 26 Jeeps no matter the models have also been real Jeeps! Don't let anyone kid you either!!! LOL

Probably none have ever been more fun thanthe first CJ though!

Go Jeep!!!

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I own a '68 CJ5 and an '18 JLU. I love them both, but other than the power-take-off winch (front and back!), there are no capabilities in the '68 that haven't been vastly improved in 50 years.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Oh my goodness, the photos of that Tuxedo-thingee hurt my eyes. I can't unsee them!

OP
OP

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I own a '68 CJ5 and an '18 JLU. I love them both, but other than the power-take-off winch (front and back!), there are no capabilities in the '68 that haven't been vastly improved in 50 years.
My 71 had the same PTO. Designed to allow farmers and rancher to use all types of PTO tools in the field. Loved that feature, although I never used it - they were made to work first.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I had a "Dauntless" V6 in my 71 CJ5 and it was the best sounding engine installed in a Wrangler/CJ until the 392 was released.
Nice thread!

Even though it wasn't offered in the CJ, my AMC 401 that I transplanted on our 74 CJ5 was one of the best sounding motors I've ever had :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Whenever someone calls a new or newer Wrangler "soft" or "not a real Jeep," show them the CJ5 Tuxedo Park IMG_0312.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Whenever someone calls a new or newer Wrangler "soft" or "not a real Jeep," show them the CJ5 Tuxedo Park IMG_0313.JPG

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you read the comments at the bottom of the BAT listing, you will see some of my comments.

Iā€™ve been looking for a clean unmolested pre ā€˜75 CJ5 or a CJ3B for a long time. Every time I find one it gets sold before I can buy it (if itā€™s listed for a fair price) or itā€™s a rusty mess. The prices that they bring on BAT are insane.

The one in that listing has an incorrect surrey top and trim. Looks like the bidders donā€™t care though.
Sponsored