120 V 30 AMP level 2 charger?

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I have a dedicated 120 Volt, 30 AMP plug in (designed for whole house vacuum) in my garage. Could this work for a level 2 charger, or does it require 240 Volt?
Sponsored

lj1469ky

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have a dedicated 120 Volt, 30 AMP plug in (designed for whole house vacuum) in my garage. Could this work for a level 2 charger, or does it require 240 Volt?
You would need 240v to take full advantage of Level 2 charging.
You could always update the wiring (if needed) between the breaker box and outlet and use a double pole breaker to convert to 240v. Depending on how far away the breaker box is, this could be fairly inexpensive.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
P=IxE (1st day electronics class, Power/Watts = Amperage x Volts) Theoretically you could make a 30A 120V charger that would charge twice as fast as a 15A 120V charger. But no one makes one.

So basically all electric cars accept 120V 12-15A charging (Level 1) and 240v 20-40A, though they make up to 80A! Level 2 (A for level 2 depends on charger and how much the car will accept, if your car will only take 32A for instance, getting a 40A charger will not charge any faster then getting a 32A charger as the car will limit it)

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The actual battery charger is onboard the Jeep. The "charging station" is just a cable with a circuit that (1) controls a relay for the mains to prevent a consumer from shocking themselves if they stick a fork in the connector or lick it or something, and (2) tells the onboard charger the max amperage.

Some charging stations would gladly pass that spec. I happen to have an older charger that will run on anything between 95 to 264 volts. The max amp it will advertise is selectable with a switch inside the cover set that is supposed to be set by the installer to match the wiring it is connected to. As long the as the hot is with-in spec it is fully unaware of what voltage is being passing. My old i would happily suck down 16amp at 110 or 240, but that car's charger could only do 16amp max.

I can test when my 4xe comes in, but I highly, highly doubt the charger would draw over 16 amps on a 110 circuit.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
At the risk of over simplification....
L1 has one hot leg. L2 has two hot legs. (2 separate wires with line power to the device)
Your 120v 30A receptacle only has 1 hot leg so it can't power a L2 EVSE.

OP
OP

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
That makes sense to my non-engineering brain. Thanks!
Sponsored