Spare tire holder and tailgate support with new hinges

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
The factory hinges are not designed to hold tires and rims larger and heavier than the OEM. I upgraded immediately to the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier and hinges. This thing is a beast. Tailgate closes very easy and there is no pressure on it now.

Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Hinge Casting 11546.56 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) (extremeterrain.com)

I also got rid of the plastic tire mount and went with the Teraflex mount. This is adjustable for different size tires and comes with the accessories necessary to relocate the 3rd brake light.

Teraflex Jeep Wrangler HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit 4838910 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) (extremeterrain.com)

While I had it apart, I added the led spare tire brake light and changed the 3rd brake light to a smoked version.

Amazon.com: Omotor for Jeep Wrangler Spare Tire Brake Light Wheel Light 3rd Third Brake Light for 1987-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL JLU JK JKU YJ TJ/LJ: Automotive

Amazon.com: FieryRed 3rd Brake Light Compatible with 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, Smoked Third Brake Light High Mount Stop Light, Waterproof: Automotive

20210103_110221.jpg

20201020_182405.jpg

20201126_110855.jpg
Sponsored

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
The factory hinges are not designed to hold tires and rims larger and heavier than the OEM. I upgraded immediately to the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier and hinges. This thing is a beast. Tailgate closes very easy and there is no pressure on it now.

Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Hinge Casting 11546.56 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) (extremeterrain.com)

I also got rid of the plastic tire mount and went with the Teraflex mount. This is adjustable for different size tires and comes with the accessories necessary to relocate the 3rd brake light.

Teraflex Jeep Wrangler HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit 4838910 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) (extremeterrain.com)

While I had it apart, I added the led spare tire brake light and changed the 3rd brake light to a smoked version.

Amazon.com: Omotor for Jeep Wrangler Spare Tire Brake Light Wheel Light 3rd Third Brake Light for 1987-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL JLU JK JKU YJ TJ/LJ: Automotive

Amazon.com: FieryRed 3rd Brake Light Compatible with 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, Smoked Third Brake Light High Mount Stop Light, Waterproof: Automotive

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire holder and tailgate support with new hinges 20201126_110855

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire holder and tailgate support with new hinges 20201126_110855

I’ve been looking to do the same. The rugged ridge carrier and Teraflex carrier work together without any additional hardware? I was going to mate the Teraflex carrier with the Mopar hinge reinforcement but like the Rugged Ridge option.

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been looking to do the same. The rugged ridge carrier and Teraflex carrier work together without any additional hardware? I was going to mate the Teraflex carrier with the Mopar hinge reinforcement but like the Rugged Ridge option.
they come with everything you need and are very easy to replace. You will see a huge difference in the stability of the tailgate. The mopar support simply isnt strong enough to support it so dont waste your money on that.

Ultraclassic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

Hi,
I am looking at putting 37's on mine and looking at this upgrade, which i like but am curious as to why you selected the Terra flex over the matching spartacus mount?

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,
I am looking at putting 37's on mine and looking at this upgrade, which i like but am curious as to why you selected the Terra flex over the matching spartacus mount?
a little heavier duty, adjustable height to accommodate different tire/rim sizes, and 3rd brake light relocation to center of rim rather than on top. These two work together flawlessly with no additional hardware needed. Not only can you adjust the height of the wheel mount you can also adjust the depth (how close the rim sits to the stops on the tailgate)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they do. nothing else is needed

jlu21sg

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2021 Willys
a little heavier duty, adjustable height to accommodate different tire/rim sizes, and 3rd brake light relocation to center of rim rather than on top. These two work together flawlessly with no additional hardware needed. Not only can you adjust the height of the wheel mount you can also adjust the depth (how close the rim sits to the stops on the tailgate)
I'm wondering if you've been able to determine if the 'hole 1' position (lowest position) is a perfect match for the tire height of the OEM mount?

I'm trying to figure out how much higher I can lift my tire with the Teraflex. I do not need to setup a bigger wheel, but I need to gain 3 inches of clearance below the tire to setup a RakAttach from 1UP USA.

I called Teraflex today and they told me each position gets the tire up by 1.5 inch, but they couldn't tell me if hole 1 is a perfect match for what the OEM does vs not.

Probably difficult to tell unless you measure it when installing, but thought I'd ask anyway...

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm wondering if you've been able to determine if the 'hole 1' position (lowest position) is a perfect match for the tire height of the OEM mount?

I'm trying to figure out how much higher I can lift my tire with the Teraflex. I do not need to setup a bigger wheel, but I need to gain 3 inches of clearance below the tire to setup a RakAttach from 1UP USA.

I called Teraflex today and they told me each position gets the tire up by 1.5 inch, but they couldn't tell me if hole 1 is a perfect match for what the OEM does vs not.

Probably difficult to tell unless you measure it when installing, but thought I'd ask anyway...
I have mine on the lowest setting and I have a 20" rim with 33's on it and it just clears the bumper lip

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
What does this setup give you in the way of bump stops? Have read a lot from others saying these are integral in reducing tire movement/rattling.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does this setup give you in the way of bump stops? Have read a lot from others saying these are integral in reducing tire movement/rattling.
None. The bump stops are part of the tailgate and are removable but better to use them if possible.
Having an adjustable mount allows you push the tire back to meet the bump stops and that helps stabilize the tire on the tailgate

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
None. The bump stops are part of the tailgate and are removable but better to use them if possible.
Having an adjustable mount allows you push the tire back to meet the bump stops and that helps stabilize the tire on the tailgate
Sorry, can’t picture what the stock taulgait looks like behind the spare right now, haven’t got that far yet! Is the Spartacus adjustable in this way? And I’m assuming the factory bump stops are able to remain with the install of this carrier?

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, can’t picture what the stock taulgait looks like behind the spare right now, haven’t got that far yet! Is the Spartacus adjustable in this way?
You can adjust the Spartacus up and down but not in and out. If you have a deep rim, it will sit way out away from the tailgate. Also, the Terra Flex mount comes with the 3rd brake light relocation kit with camera housing

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
You can adjust the Spartacus up and down but not in and out. If you have a deep rim, it will sit way out away from the tailgate. Also, the Terra Flex mount comes with the 3rd brake light relocation kit with camera housing
Don’t kill me for all the questions...I have -18 offset, 17x9.5 wheels, will those stick out?

also, I was stuck on the Smittybilt tire carrier but the price is steep, I thought I hit the lottery with this rugged ridge one but I’m starting to realize I’ve gotta buy a tire mount for it still because it sounds like using the stock mount is less than ideal...

OP
OP
Packnbeer

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t kill me for all the questions...I have -18 offset, 17x9.5 wheels, will those stick out?

also, I was stuck on the Smittybilt tire carrier but the price is steep, I thought I hit the lottery with this rugged ridge one but I’m starting to realize I’ve gotta buy a tire mount for it still because it sounds like using the stock mount is less than ideal...
Yes they will. My rims have a negative offset as well and therefore they stuck out a lot. I am certainly not saying to not get whatever mount you like. Many many people reinforce the hinges and use the oem mount. The oem is plastic but is heavy plastic and the stress is on the hinges, not so much the tire mount. Just know that a negative offset rim will sit out away from the tailgate pretty far. If you are unsure how your setup will be just do the hinges first to relieve the stress from the tailgate and use the oem tire mount to see if it's acceptable for you. That's where I started. Good luck and let's see some pics when you are done!
Sponsored