Sponsored

Does a JLU Rubicon w/ OEM Steel bumpers need a lift for a winch?

CorExMachina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Feet + Bicycle
I'm planning to order to JLU Rubicon with the steel bumper package. I plan to add a winch.

Context:
- My main purpose for a JLUR is for overlanding, mountain biking, kayaking, and camping.
- I am almost always alone (no other people, no other vehicles) so capability and reliability are of utmost importance.
- A want a remote-controlled winch to get un-stuck when by myself.
- I am not actively trying to get into extreme off-road situations, but if circumstances dictate it, I'd like to be prepared.
- I do plan to go on the popular trails, as well as explore un-trailed areas.
- I will be in Boulder, CO. (moving from Orlando, FL)

Questions:
- Does Jeep manufacturer use different springs and/or settings when building the Rubicon with the steel bumpers (to compensate for the extra 100+ lbs)?
- I read the JLU has stiffer springs than the JL, will this stiffness be enough to compensate for the weight of the winch and mount pate?
- How many inches of drop/sagging should I tolerate before I decide to get it lifted?
- Is the Warn VR10 (synthetic) a good choice for the OEM Rubicon steel bumper?

Any other advice/comments welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
People who have mounted winches on the OEM steel bumpers haven't noticed any sag when adding the winch, so it shouldn't be a concern.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I'm planning to order to JLU Rubicon with the steel bumper package. I plan to add a winch.

Context:
- My main purpose for a JLUR is for overlanding, mountain biking, kayaking, and camping.
- I am almost always alone (no other people, no other vehicles) so capability and reliability are of utmost importance.
- A want a remote-controlled winch to get un-stuck when by myself.
- I am not actively trying to get into extreme off-road situations, but if circumstances dictate it, I'd like to be prepared.
- I do plan to go on the popular trails, as well as explore un-trailed areas.
- I will be in Boulder, CO. (moving from Orlando, FL)

Questions:
- Does Jeep manufacturer use different springs and/or settings when building the Rubicon with the steel bumpers (to compensate for the extra 100+ lbs)?
- I read the JLU has stiffer springs than the JL, will this stiffness be enough to compensate for the weight of the winch and mount pate?
- How many inches of drop/sagging should I tolerate before I decide to get it lifted?
- Is the Warn VR10 (synthetic) a good choice for the OEM Rubicon steel bumper?

Any other advice/comments welcome. Thanks!
Just an FYI, Warn came out with a plate for the factory steel bumper, check it out: https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WAR101255

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Unless you're Bill Gates---you have no control over the suspension springs installed in these JK/JL models-

It's been a "by guess/by golly" dilemma since 2007-

You'll have to look for forum experience-

Good luck

JIMBO

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went through the same thoughts. The weight of the winch plate and winch and some on this forum saying that 35's on a stock Rubi WILL rub when disconnected at full articulation. I was going to do like a 1" spacer all the way around but decided if I'm going to do that, why not a kit. I ended up going with the Rubi Express 2" and love it. To each there own though.

Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't notice any sag after installing this Warn VR10s with a Rusty's plate.

Time will tell.

20180402_103203.jpg

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Most likely it will require a 3/4” to 1” spring spacer to off set the additional weight. It may not sag right away, but it eventually.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely it will require a 3/4” to 1” spring spacer to off set the additional weight. It may not sag right away, but it eventually.
That is what I was thinking, but by then I may be into 37's and a lift.

We shall see.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
That is what I was thinking, but by then I may be into 37's and a lift.

We shall see.
Even after you do a lift you'll still want to run a small spacer to counteract the effects of spring sag. I've been running 3/4" spacer on the front of my JK since I did the lift, bumper & winch on back in 2013.
Sponsored