Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have 2 kids too and I want it to be safe like you. Looks like these may be available as an optional upgrade per the current Jeep website. Keeping my fingers crossed.
No, he’s not talkin about just side impact airbags,, which are indeed standard now an come out of a pod at the side ofnthe seat instead of from within the seat itself.

However, he’s talking about the more recent full side curtain airbags, which don’t really have a good mounting point in a Wrangler.
We were discussing this in the side-curtain thread, and while it would be nice, there are additional chalenges from a vehicle that takes the doors and roof off, thus limiting the options for mounting points.

I don’t doubt they will eventually arrive in the Wrangler, but for now just side airbags as standard is an improvement, and from there add the next improvement, etc. I suspects wee see them around the 2020 timeframe, once they’ve moved beyond the launch concerns.
Sponsored

Goin' Coastal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wishes
What’s your point in posting that?

First, it’s made not sold after May 1st 2018 , yet there will be no JK made after that, so there wil be NO N.Am. JKs with stock backup cameras, just the new JLs.

In fact not only has this been discussed many times before here and eslewhere that you could’ve searched this in depth, FCA already addressed it in their September press launches.

Again, no stock Backup Camera for JKs except exports which have had them for years, backup camera will be standard on all JLs.

This isn’t new and has been discussed extensively before.. as any quick search would reaveal.
He was responding to one of your posts. Excuse those of us that don't live on JL forums.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He was responding to one of your posts. Excuse those of us that don't live on JL forums.
Excuse him for not searching for the topic instead of searching for an autotrader article to try and contradict the initial correct info? No, make an effort or don’t try to refute others’ statements without the correct info.

Look at the post above yours to see how I respond to just a question about something already covered vs a contradiction of info.

Last edited:

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Really bummed about the lack of rear side curtain air bags, was really hoping the JL would have them so I would feel better about driving with my two sons in the back. I guess I'll wait for the safety ratings to come out to make my decision. I really want a JL but the safety of my kids trumps that want. That said, love everything else about the JL from reading the manual.
If the lack of side curtain airbags is a huge factor in the buying decision then maybe the Wrangler isn't the vehicle for you. I've taken my daughters in my Wrangler and they survived. A vehicle with a removable roof and doors is inherently going to be less safe than a fixed roof vehicle. Maybe a Grand Cherokee would suit your needs. But the Wrangler Unlimited is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure... Weird?

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Did we talk about the spare tire being optional yet?
upload_2017-10-16_14-55-4.png

Edit: NVM, they had the same section in the JK manual

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Did we talk about the spare tire being optional yet?
upload_2017-10-16_14-55-4.png

Edit: NVM, they had the same section in the JK manual
There's a lot of fluff in the manual that applies to all FCA vehicles, and not just specifically the Wrangler. That's partly why it's a ridiculous 608 pages long.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
There's a lot of fluff in the manual that applies to all FCA vehicles, and not just specifically the Wrangler. That's partly why it's a ridiculous 608 pages long.
Yeah, I kinda caught on to that, why I decided to check the JK manual. Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If the lack of side curtain airbags is a huge factor in the buying decision then maybe the Wrangler isn't the vehicle for you. I've taken my daughters in my Wrangler and they survived. A vehicle with a removable roof and doors is inherently going to be less safe than a fixed roof vehicle. Maybe a Grand Cherokee would suit your needs. But the Wrangler Unlimited is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure... Weird?
The JK has one of, if not the, lowest injury claim rates of any vehicle sold in the US.

I'd have my kids in it any day over something small, like a Civic, even with the Civic having rear side air bags/curtains.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
Argh !! :angry:

Fuel capacity was not only Not increased on the JLU, it was actually DECREASED from 85L to 81L ! FAQ !!! :headbang:

JL fuel capacity remains the same at 70.5L. I was hoping for a boost closer to 100L for greater range. Definitely makes extended fuel tanks options for JLU of interest from the aftermarket.

JK Capacities (gallons listed are larger Imp Gal as noted, not US)

C71B121F-A4AD-4C60-A405-3E02930399EC.jpeg

New JL Capacities

DDD47CB8-4EA2-46FE-A6FC-A86663512EB5.jpeg
Yeah I was hoping to see a bigger tank also. They're prob justifying marginally better mpg to reduce capacity by a gallon which is pretty lame :swear:. Not a deal breaker but a disappointment.

They could probably make good money selling an extended range tank for a couple few hundred extra.

I might just have to rub my pennies together a little longer and get a Raptor with a 36gal tank.

Sponsored

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
Now there’s a Rant I can get behind, from a man whose obviously done his homework before ranting. :like:

The number of shades I have that have either flown outta that dashtop depression and scratched the lenses.... Jeep owes me some new Orkleys or RayBars for their lack of engineering acumen !!

I expect a $5 discount on my next FCA purchase as compensation ! :captain:
I hang mine from the passenger sun visor

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hang mine from the passenger sun visor
I was being sarcastic after all the prior complaint posts, as I also though db was also posting tongue firmly planted in cheek, I know that doesn’t come across on the net.

I actually keep mine in their cases in the gap below the seat by the door, away from prying eyes, the dash top is too exposed.
Otherwise they are mounted like digitalbliss’.

Funny thing is it’s not sunglasses that fly off the dash, but my solar rechargeable Jeep flashlight I got from the dealer sits up there beside my rubber ducky navigator. You know it’s a tight turn or a good off-road bump when that thing goes flying. :rock:

That being said, it would be nice if the space behind the Uconnect opened up for ‘hidden’ covered storage like it does in the Corvette...

From the Traverse (couldn’t find a Corvette console GIF);
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL Owners Manual and User Guide leaked! {filename}

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder how the power sliding top will be attached to the JL. They say not removable, I say they didn't try hard enough.
There's no way that Jeep is manufacturing another whole Wrangler body just for this power top.

Has to be a factory bolted on top. I presume attached to the windshield and rear corner and wired as such. I'd imagine it's fragile and not made to be removed - but come on - you know it will be.

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
I feel you guys with the Raptor but I may just go the the 350 Lariat (single rear tire) myself. At least I can get the A-Plan price and any discounts to help ease the pain of not getting the Jeep, for about the same price when you factor in the new estimated cost.
Sponsored