wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Wait there more.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928351381

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928369859

Lol as SBXJ with the hood up.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928412268

This Rubicon is a long way from home.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928497982

We camped by the dam to Buck Island. We did not get to there until almost dark. I am an early riser and as I walked around drinking coffee in the morning, I see two people sleeping on rock along the stream. Did I mention there are rattle snake? There are definitely some hardcore people out here.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928666670

You know you married an adventure girl when she demands that no rain fly on the tent so she could see the incredible night sky, sleeps on the ground in a tent and wakes up like this..
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928797080

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928842035

Then begs me to not take her home as she wants do more of this.

Our morning camp site. What a great place to enjoy a morning cup of coffee.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928960694

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597928996197

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929021390

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929054131

Coffee = happier girl.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929100048

and back to wheeling. Moab and the Rubicon Trail was hard on my bead lock rings. It pretty much trashed them. My Jeep will wear the scars with pride.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929203214

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929237211

Just a little over half way done after about 10 hours of wheeling the day before.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929345319

Yes the drive side tires are going up on those rocks.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929410517

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929460593

There were many places that would take over an hour to spot and move four Jeeps 50 yards. The above was just one of them. You can literally walk the trail faster than you can drive it.

At one point, Phil in the lifted Stingray Jeep gave a guy that had crashed his motorcycle and broke his arm a ride in his Jeep. After about an hour of soaking up air conditioning and drinking water, he got out of Phil's Jeep and started walking out.

Just so you all know that the Rubicon is a county road and it is patroled by a sheriff deputies in a nice JK. Here comes the Police..
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929738509

We let him go by. They were pretty cool guys. If there was a cop job for me this would be it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
After our brush with the law, back to wheeling.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597929967081

There were some great views out the windshield.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930000503

The Cooper STT Pro tires held up well, no flats and they were like this a couple thousand times.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930120996

We stopped at Rubicon Springs and went swimming and to clean up. I was nasty dirty. Every step dam near on the trail was like stomping on a fine powder of dust that would swallow you up and cover you in filth. I looked like Pigpen from the Peanuts.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930817083

Bill is scoping out the trail ahead of us as we start up Cadillac Hill. We are stuck behind some Toyota's again. When we first started the trail on the first day, we got stuck behind a lifted toyota truck group and one of them did not have lockers. It took us two hours to get past them and then we only got around them because one of them broke down. This is a different set of Toyota's. One of them that is not pictured was just fixed after waiting two days at Rubicon Springs for parts and was being driven out.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930373250

Nice flag along the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930877950

I could have taken a 1000+ photos while on this trail alone, but what happens is you get so busy spotting, walking, and driving that at times I would just forget to snap a photo of cool stuff. I think I missed 90% of the cool/harder obstacles just because I was busy doing other things.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930939178

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597930596928

As we are coming near the end of the trail, my wife leaned over and said,
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597931009828

Then we made it out.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1597931075065

It took us two days and just over 17 hours of driving to cover the 12 miles on the Rubicon trail. In reality, it is more like 17 hours to go 10 miles and then like 20 minutes to do the last two miles of the trail as the last two miles was like a really bad dirt road, or a normal Michigan road in the spring time.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Let me guess... that's the day you got married. If it is, and after meeting both you and your wife, I can see why. Super nice woman... Kimberly and I are still trying to figure out if she is a couple of beers short of a 6 pack though. It's the only explanation she is still with you ;)
Nope, we got married in 1989. She only married me for the sex and a paycheck. After we were married for a while and she got a good paying job it was just the sex... or maybe it's because I do dishes and cook. I would ask her, but she has 12 different personalities so it depends on who I ask. Really, I think it's because I take her on adventures.

The bad day was while I was working as the Yard Sgt. at a prison nicknamed Gladiator School, three yard cops and myself stopped 6 prisoners trying to escape with the help of a gun man on the outside of the prison. The gun man had thrown an AR-15 and a semi auto style AK-47 type rife over the prison fence into the prison. The AR, jammed after being thrown the 20 feet into the air and landing on the ground and the AK rifle got caught in the fence. The convict that picked up the rifle did not know how to clear the jam, thank God, and threw the rifle down. Then gunman shot at me and my yard cops three times and luckily missed us from about 20 yards. The gunman had parked his car by the exterior fence, and ran back to the car grabbed a 12 gauge pump shotgun, racked a round into the chamber and started to point it at us as the armed perimeter vehicle pulled up blocking the gunman's escape. He up-righted the shotgun from pointing at us and aimed it at his face and pulled the trigger blowing part of his head off. It left his lower lip and ears on the side and remove the rest of his face and the top of his skull. He dropped dead, then we were able to catch the six prisoners before they were able to get back out of the area where they had planned their escape. Everyday is better than a day where you get shot at and watch a guy blow his face off with a shotgun. In the end we were able to secure the guns that were thrown over the fence and catch all 6 convicts that were trying to escape. I ended up being the only one to testify before they all plead out guilty for the escape attempt.

So I have been bit, stabbed, spit on, shit and piss thrown at me and in well over a thousand physical altercations while working in the prison system. I went back through the log books for seg and had broke up 260 fights in 10 months at Gladiator School. Worked in Super Max around the 80 most dangerous prisoners out of 50,000. Worked in housing units full of self mutilators. Like my signature says, I got stories.

Sponsored

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
Okay, so maybe you did have a good time on the Rubicon, and in Moab. And the smile on your face will say the same thing every time someone mentions either place. Great pictures. Thanks for taking us along with you.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
When working on stuff, I always think of it as a big puzzle. If I am worried that I might not remember how to put it back together, I take pictures during disassembly so I can look back at it.

Sometimes things are daunting to look at as a whole project. That is when I just section it off and complete it one at a time until the project is done. Always push your comfort zone until you have a huge comfort zone. lol.

My wife is very tolerant of me.

If you come to Michigan, I will take you camping and wheeling.

Well back to updating this thread with pics. Camping the last two weeks in a row has slowed me down.
I hear ya Ted!! OMG those were amazing photos that you just posted!!! I really CANNOT imagine I could even do that. Does it mean that your Jeep get scratched and dented with all those trailing (not that I have any problem with it). I saw one of the photo where the wheel of one vehicle were on top of another and it take an expert to do that cause I saw someone tried to do it on youtube and it broke its wheel. So yeah you might said that you learned everything from youtube but you are really handy as well.

Awesome awesome photos. While I don't think that I will do that hard stuff that you are doing - what you are doing is a motivator to do it on my own (or with friends). Pretty awesome bro - stay safe.

And tell the tolerant wifey hi and said that she is awesome!!! :like:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I don't think I could take a relatively new 50,000 vehicle and run it over trails like that. I would have to buy a second hand JK for that type of carnage.

To each his own, I guess.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Great pics. No matter what you do, it can’t do it justice. The trail is beautiful and brutal all at the same time. Cant want to do it again though!

Wild story about being a guard. A dude smoking himself is hard to forget...

brett

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I don't think I could take a relatively new 50,000 vehicle and run it over trails like that. I would have to buy a second hand JK for that type of carnage.

To each his own, I guess.
I do not have a single scratch on my Jeep body paint. The rock sliders, and skid plates get scratched up, but they are made to be touched up with flat black paint. I got home, spent 20 hours cleaning, waxing and detailing my Jeep, then took it to a car show and won best in class.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598008499518

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598008575192

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598008598442

The point is that these Jeeps are made for this. Can damage happen, yes. The orange Jeep that you see in the photos took a very small ding in the tub that you would only see if he pointed it out to you. The lifted stingray grey had no damage, and the non lifted one was hard on the rear stock plastic bumper. People give the stock plastic bumpers away. Heck I have given three of them away. The biggest thing is drive smart and have a good spotter. It does not take long to look around and find nice Jeeps new and old that have run these trails many times with no damage. It has more to do with driving style and picking good lines to avoid damage.

Would I run the trails that I did with a stock Jeep, no. I spent additional money on top of the 50+ grand to get it ready for these trails. Just know that there are thousand and thousands of miles of trails that can be run by a stock Jeep though. If you wheel your Jeep do as I do and keep it to about 70% of the vehicles capability.

The only thing that saw real cosmetic damage was the bead lock rings. They are trashed. Yet I think it looks sweet and many people at the car show was like wow those took a beating and shows that the Jeep is not a mall crawler while still looking kinda like a mall crawler when detailed.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I have seen vehicles take a beating on trails. Those include vehicles owned by my friends who are not doing anything as difficult as the Rubicon trail.

They don't seem to mind too much. They bought their vehicles for that purpose. Not everyone is like this.

I know that Jeeps were made for this and I understand that rock sliders and skid plates are there to protect the vehicle. I get it.

Still...

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Bill with the Orange Jeep had tweaked his steering while on the Rubicon Trail. When we left the trail, his stability control light was on because his steering wheel was 15 degrees moved from center. His Jeep was in limp mode and would not go over 30 mph. So out comes the 15 mm wrench and I re-centered his steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. After a good night sleep in a Holiday Inn by Carson City, Bill headed off to the alignment shop for an alignment and the rest of us drank coffee and enjoyed the Covid not convenient complimentary breakfast that was no longer a hot breakfast as advertised and then bought food and supplies for the next leg of the journey. The original plan was to wheel Moab and the Rubicon Trail. Yet here it is Monday and we do not need to be back until Friday. So a discussion was had. We could pick up the new badge of honor trail in Wyoming or go back to Colorado and get Poughkeepsie Gulch badge trail we missed when we were in Colorado last September. We had planned on picking up Poughkeepsie Gulch on the way to Moab this year, but it opened two days after we passed it on our way to Moab.

Phil that drives the lifted stingray JLUR has wanted to do Poughkeepsie Gulch and almost obsessed over it. Yet he is the one that said we need to go to Wyoming. His reasoning was that he was more likely to go back to Colorado than he was to go to Wyoming. So off we went. The difference in distance to run either badge trail on the way home was less than 50 miles or so. The decision was made and we headed to Wyoming.

So we did come across this vehicle while leaving Carson City. Who would rock this out. I surly would.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598182684434

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598182706314

We drove about 12 hours and was able to find a great free camp spot along the Snake River in Idaho.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598182853870

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598182914475

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598182974039

The water was flowing fast and made for a great sound to sleep to. It amazes me that there are so many place a person can camp for free yet they go to a packed campground that is more like a trailer park and less like a camp spot.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183117380

So heading to Wyoming to run the trail, it states in the description that if it is dry, you can drive it easily with a passenger car. If it has rained, good luck. Well It rained for two hours prior to us getting to the trail head. It was a fucking mess.

It was throwing clumps of clay mud the size of softballs on the hood and roof of the JLURs. The mud would load the tires up and then it was like driving on bacon grease. We made it about 3 1/2 miles of the trail before it started raining again. So we headed out. The trail lead up to a fire watch tower, but even in 4l with both lockers on we could barely climb a slight incline. Rain was in the forcast for the rest of the day. We were fucked.

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183514116

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183542756

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183591734

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183619662

It was dam near impossible to stay out of the drainage ditch that they were adding, nothing to anchor to if we got stuck, it was muddy mess and took us about an hour to get the Jeeps turned around.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183772826

Did break the 30,000 mile mark while on the trail though.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183911061

Picked most of the mud off the hood.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598183979596

Just a little bit of mud on the roof. Had to remove that as best as I could. I did not want that coming off then on to the windshield of one of my fellow Jeepers. Hell a decent size bug can take out a Jeep windshield so this stuff had to go.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598184144251

We are now heading home. The long stretch back to Michigan. We were still a full two days of hard driving from home. So as the sun go low in the sky we started looking for a place to camp and cook dinner for the night.

We ended up in Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming for the night on top of a mountain.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598187837297

Little bit of the moon peeking through the trees.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598187921068

It was a beautiful night up there and we did a little bit of hiking before getting back to camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598188132429

Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598188173291

In the morning, I found that if I went about 50 yards east of where we were parked I could get internet service while drinking my fresh brewed Black Rifle Coffee. An on going goal of mine is to drink fresh brewed Black Rifle Coffee on mountain tops. Did it twice on this trip. On the Rubicon trail and now in Medicine Bow.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598188392497

We pushed hard to within a days drive of home and drove late into the night. Could not find a free place to stay the night, so for the 2nd time in 16 days of travel, we broke down and bought a hotel room. There just were not any free spots to stay other than, Walmart, or a Loves truck stop. I book our room while on the road. Get to the Econlodge thinking there would be a restaurant that we could get dinner at. Nope, so cooking in the parking lot at the hotel under the moon light. Our last night on the road.
Jeep Wrangler JL We ( three JLUR) go on a 5734 mile Jeep Wheeling trip and Earn 11 Jeep Badges. And Meet forum members in the oddest places. 1598188674399

The next day we hard press for home and get back home in Michigan about 9 pm. The trip is over. Except for the clean up and maintenance of the Jeep and the camper.

There is still more to come........ I have some drone fight videos from Moab and misc pics that I have not posted and still have to go through the GoPRO camera......

Then a refection to close it out. Stay tuned....

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Excellent thread. Thank you.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I follow you guys on insta (@ConsuelatheJL) but didn't know you started this thread. Awesome pics and trip! One of these times when you're passing through Iowa, maybe I can hitch up with the caravan and head with.
Sponsored