OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I was inspecting under the jeep and saw the rear driveshaft boot was torn, but no leaking grease....must have bumped it on a ledge. @Moto_21 & @Roky Have you guys had this happen? I'm planning to keep truckin unless it starts having issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap 20200820_143713

Also, the front flange is pretty bent with 29" extended front shocks...but still holding on with not much grease coming out...trying to avoid spending more $ on aftermarket shafts. If they start leaking grease or vibrating, I may throw on some takeoff stock shafts for cheap. :beer:
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap 20200820_143952

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I was inspecting under the jeep and saw the rear driveshaft boot was torn, but no leaking grease....must have bumped it on a ledge. @Moto_21 & @Roky Have you guys had this happen? I'm planning to keep truckin unless it starts having issues.

Also, the front flange is pretty bent with 29" extended front shocks...but still holding on with not much grease coming out...trying to avoid spending more $ on aftermarket shafts. If they start leaking grease or vibrating, I may throw on some takeoff stock shafts for cheap. :beer:
I think stock ones can be had for cheap. Check local shops for dumpster dive opportunities.

Trail Jeeps always has a few bits tossed in the bin.

So will you go 1310's or 1350's Adams Drive Shafts?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Hey brother ... my front driveshaft did that to. No issues from it. And the rear, just keep an eye on it, should be ok as long it’s not loosing grease.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I think stock ones can be had for cheap. Check local shops for dumpster dive opportunities.

Trail Jeeps always has a few bits tossed in the bin.

So will you go 1310's or 1350's Adams Drive Shafts?
I can get stock driveshafts for close to free...would prob go that route if these have to be replaced. If I was buying aftermarket shafts, I'd prob go with Adams 1310 running 37s...they claim they're stronger than stock driveshafts, much smaller in diameter and about $200 less than 1350. If I was running 39s or 40s, I'd go 1350. I've wheeled 20+ times over 2 years on the stock shafts and they have made it this far...1310 should be plenty.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah my front one tore open right at that cv joint And was grinding so bad. Havent tore the Slip boot on the Rear yet, but that boot i wouldnt care at all if it was ripped open, wont hurt anything, just might be a little sticky trying to extend or retract after a few thousand miles from dirt getting in there

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can get stock driveshafts for close to free...would prob go that route if these have to be replaced. If I was buying aftermarket shafts, I'd prob go with Adams 1310 running 37s...they claim they're stronger than stock driveshafts, much smaller in diameter and about $200 less than 1350. If I was running 39s or 40s, I'd go 1350. I've wheeled 20+ times over 2 years on the stock shafts and they have made it this far...1310 should be plenty.
Yeah good idea.... I have 1310 in front for a year or so , works great. Still rocking stock in rear. Might do 1350 in rear when time comes.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
You mention using the AUX switches for your axles. Is there a way to make the OEM locker switches work or are you happy with what you have and have not looked at any other solutions?

Both of my boys go to high school in Chattanooga. We love the area and I have briefly looked for work there to move but have not found anything yet. I did not realize there were places to offroad there too. I am going to have to revisit the idea of relocating.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
You mention using the AUX switches for your axles. Is there a way to make the OEM locker switches work or are you happy with what you have and have not looked at any other solutions?

Both of my boys go to high school in Chattanooga. We love the area and I have briefly looked for work there to move but have not found anything yet. I did not realize there were places to offroad there too. I am going to have to revisit the idea of relocating.
Adding OEM locker switches is a good bit more expensive bc you also need to buy the OEM dash interface, a new main wiring harness and software flash. I wanted to bypass the computer so I can use the lockers whenever I want.

Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains and is a great location for outdoor activities including wheelin. There's a large active community and it's easy to join group rides every weekend if you wanted. There are many fun spots within 45 min of downtown. Also, Windrock badge of , Stoney Lonesome and Beasly Knob are only 2 hours away.(6 jeep badge of honor trails at these places)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
That was a sketchy run in the rain.

Great views last time I was up. I’d do I again. Highly recommended.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I can maybe see a need for a rancho/Metalcloak front diff skid to protect the drain bolt if you rock crawl alot. In the rear, the pumpkin is made of thick cast steel....virtually impossible to do meaningful damage to it. IMHO, a rear diff skid isnt needed and Metalcloak did a good job marketing it. Look at the folks who wheel hard on YouTube...vast majority aren't running diff skids unless they're paid to run it.
I just did the Rubicon axles swap a few weeks ago, and my front axle is off of a 2020 Gladiator and I noticed the drain bolt is now recessed by 1/4 inch. The likelihood of it being damaged or knocked loose is now really low. I believe FAC and Dana fixed the issue.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
G
I just did the Rubicon axles swap a few weeks ago, and my front axle is off of a 2020 Gladiator and I noticed the drain bolt is now recessed by 1/4 inch. The likelihood of it being damaged or knocked loose is now really low. I believe FAC and Dana fixed the issue.
Interesting....I've read Gladiator rubicon front axle walls is 10 mm thick vs 7mm thick on the JL Rubicon. Maybe that is to recess the plug.

Gladiators also have larger front brakes than Wranglers. The rear axles seem to be the same strength with different shock locations. I assume it's largely to account for the 7000 lb tow rating on the gladiator.
Sponsored

Last edited: