DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about 50/50 as to whether I'll order a JLUR in November with the 3.6/manual, or if I'll wait for the diesel. If I decide to go for the diesel, even though production won't start until July or August of 18, will the order books open for me to go ahead and place the order in Nov/Dec? I'm not sure how Jeep does this kind of thing, but if someone has an idea, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
No order banks wont open for the diesel till end of next summer. Based on everything I have read I would assume the diesels will be 2019 MY instead of the 2018. It will probably go on sale about the same time as the Scrambler (new Wrangler based pickup)

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
As stated above, the order books don't show the diesel option yet. It mostly shows exactly what the 2017 were. The rumored top options, and the rumored backup camera don't show up. I am in contact with three different dealers, one of which ordered one for me, but I am going to cancel it, since I want the BU camera and can wait until that shows up. One rumor is also the 8.4" Navigation system, which I would wait for as well. Concerning the current nav (730N) system, it's only about 85% accurate even with the purchased update. That costs 149.00, and in my opinion was not worth the money. It did cure some issues/mistakes, but does not show places which have been in existence since 2009. So waiting for the above is what I am going to try to do. Jeep would have in my opinion been better served going with a Magellan based GPS since they are easier to use and more accurate. I have a portable one in my RV which I purchased 18 months ago and it is way more accurate than the one in the Jeep with the second newest update. Their is another one available, but for the money is not worth it. I also have my current 2013 Sahara on CL for sale in GA.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
As stated above, the order books don't show the diesel option yet. It mostly shows exactly what the 2017 were. The rumored top options, and the rumored backup camera don't show up. I am in contact with three different dealers, one of which ordered one for me, but I am going to cancel it, since I want the BU camera and can wait until that shows up. One rumor is also the 8.4" Navigation system, which I would wait for as well. Concerning the current nav (730N) system, it's only about 85% accurate even with the purchased update. That costs 149.00, and in my opinion was not worth the money. It did cure some issues/mistakes, but does not show places which have been in existence since 2009. So waiting for the above is what I am going to try to do. Jeep would have in my opinion been better served going with a Magellan based GPS since they are easier to use and more accurate. I have a portable one in my RV which I purchased 18 months ago and it is way more accurate than the one in the Jeep with the second newest update. Their is another one available, but for the money is not worth it. I also have my current 2013 Sahara on CL for sale in GA.
Sounds like you’re talking about the JK not the JL. Order books aren’t available for the JL yet and the JL can’t be ordered yet.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Order features for the JL are pooulating with details, but they don’t open yet... though that may change later next week or later this month.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Order features for the JL are pooulating with details, but they don’t open yet... though that may change later next week or later this month.
Ape, do you know of any new details that have popped up?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Ape, do you know of any new details that have popped up?
I haven’t looked again since it first appeared last week, but immediately after the Admin and others posted it, I noticed there wasn’t a HardRock or Recon edition in the Rubi trim/model code list, unlike our earlier glimpse when it first appeared which had a 24Z option.

BTW, regarding your original question, likely the diesel won’t appear until spring or even summer when 2019s load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t looked again since it first appeared last week, but immediately after the Admin and others posted it, I noticed there wasn’t a HardRock or Recon edition in the Rubi trim/model code list, unlike our earlier glimpse when it first appeared which had a 24Z option.

BTW, regarding your original question, likely the diesel won’t appear until spring or even summer when 2019s load.
Yeah, the diesel is probably too far out to give me a tough decision. I want this thing delivered in April, May, or even June, at the latest. If I order and the production date slips too far, I may change my mind and look at the diesel again. For now, I'm going with the V6/manual Rubicon. I keep coming back to it, especially when I drive my JK.

Repairable1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 3.0 Diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon 3.6, 2016 JKU Rubicon HardRock LS 6.2, 2019 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Powerstroke 4x4
Yeah, the diesel is probably too far out to give me a tough decision. I want this thing delivered in April, May, or even June, at the latest. If I order and the production date slips too far, I may change my mind and look at the diesel again. For now, I'm going with the V6/manual Rubicon. I keep coming back to it, especially when I drive my JK.
Ordered my diesel today. Dealer said expect delivery in 6-8 weeks.

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I ordered my 2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon yesterday. Punkin' orange! My salesman said he talked to the regional FCA guy that morning who said expect before end of 2019 (Xmas time?). The diesels for dealer lots won't arrive until Jan-Feb 2020.

Sponsored

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I ordered mine a couple days ago and was told they will not start production until Nov 25th.

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
I ordered my 2020 Sahara with the Eco Diesel on Saturday. I was unable to choose Selec-Trac as an option like you can with the 2.0 or 3.6 engine selections. Also, limited slip diff is included and not optional. The dealer GM did not know of any difference in the build time when choosing the diesel.

I would think once a VIN is assigned then the build would start so I’ll be waiting to receive my VIN which has usually occurred within a few days, at least on my two previous JL orders.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Darn it! I'm selling my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel on Thursday of this week! New buyer can't wait to get it! NOW I find this thread...LOL Having lived with this engine and trans for the last 5 years, I can't help but be excited that this combo is so close in a Wrangler now!

But, do I wait and spend the extra money? Or do I just move forward as planned with the 4 cyl in a Rubi...decisions, decisions...! :)

(WRT the differences in fuel economy, I know how this combo performs in the real world. I bought our truck new (custom order in 2014). Since we moved to California 4 years ago, my truck has never seen over 23 MPG - because we're all driving at 80+ mph here! LOL

When we lived back in Washington state, I once saw 32 mpg, but if you even thought of exceeding a posted speed limit there, you were pulled over, so at 55 mph - 65mph, it's capable of some impressive economy, even in a 6500 pound truck!)

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I ordered my 2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon yesterday. Punkin' orange! My salesman said he talked to the regional FCA guy that morning who said expect before end of 2019 (Xmas time?). The diesels for dealer lots won't arrive until Jan-Feb 2020.
It would be nice to see them before end of this year! I too ordered a Punk’n diesel this morning.

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
Darn it! I'm selling my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel on Thursday of this week! New buyer can't wait to get it! NOW I find this thread...LOL Having lived with this engine and trans for the last 5 years, I can't help but be excited that this combo is so close in a Wrangler now!

But, do I wait and spend the extra money? Or do I just move forward as planned with the 4 cyl in a Rubi...decisions, decisions...! :)

(WRT the differences in fuel economy, I know how this combo performs in the real world. I bought our truck new (custom order in 2014). Since we moved to California 4 years ago, my truck has never seen over 23 MPG - because we're all driving at 80+ mph here! LOL

When we lived back in Washington state, I once saw 32 mpg, but if you even thought of exceeding a posted speed limit there, you were pulled over, so at 55 mph - 65mph, it's capable of some impressive economy, even in a 6500 pound truck!)
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and loved it with zero problems. I routinely got 27+ mpg in it for 33,000 miles and then traded it for a 2016 JKU. Just didn’t need a truck anymore and always liked driving a wrangler.

So....for me the diesel was a no brainer due to the tourque, mileage and range. I don’t have to look at the economics of the diesel vs the other gas options so I don’t consider that stuff. I just like driving a Diesel engine vehicle and always wanted a wrangler with a diesel.

I currently have a 2019 rubicon with the 2.0. I’m so looking forward to moving onto the diesel...
Sponsored