RichardTK

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Hello!

Hoping I'll get to stick around here - but obviously the UK has fewer Jeep enthusiasts, and fewer opportunities to enjoy Jeeps without more serious access to land and/or kit, so a lot of UK Wranglers are pure pose. I'm cool with that - I love Jeeps for what they are, not what they make people think about me, and have owned three XJ Cherokees purely because I think they're one of the most complete, pure car designs you can get (no four-pots allowed).

Wranglers, though, they're another thing. So when my day job (auto writer for UK site Parkers) meant I got the short straw for a Wrangler (160 mile round trip to the office, motorways and no adaptive cruise, etc.) I wasn't at all about to complain about the lack of comfortable suspension and cosseting Audi A6-style ride. In fact, it's all a bit 'don't throw me into the briar patch'.

Except this was before lockdown, and the four-door Overland that provides a modicum of sensibility... well...

Jeep Wrangler JL A long short-termer, and a short long-termer IMG_9531.JPG

I got to enjoy one trip in it...

Jeep Wrangler JL A long short-termer, and a short long-termer IMG_9539

Jeep Wrangler JL A long short-termer, and a short long-termer IMG_9544 2.JPG

Before it turned out, I was gonna have to ride the short bus.

Jeep Wrangler JL A long short-termer, and a short long-termer IMG_9556.JPG

Opinions and thoughts for work are here: https://www.parkers.co.uk/jeep/wrangler/review/long-term/

But I'm sure I'll have far more to say on these forums where I don't have to ponder if a 2.4 children family should lease a Wrangler Sport instead of a Fiat 500C...
Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. We donā€™t all have Jeeps to ā€˜poseā€™, I take mine off road usually 1 day a week. There are a lot of green lanes available to us if you do some research. Another Jeeper and I had a very enjoyable day in the Lake District yesterday.

PS donā€™t call it a car, theyā€™ll come for you on here lol

OP
OP

RichardTK

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. We donā€™t all have Jeeps to ā€˜poseā€™, I take mine off road usually 1 day a week. There are a lot of green lanes available to us if you do some research. Another Jeeper and I had a very enjoyable day in the Lake District yesterday.

PS donā€™t call it a car, theyā€™ll come for you on here lol
Thankou! Be great to see how many JL owners there are in the UK.

Automobile? ;) I know. I called my pickups 'trucks' and got told it wasn't the house style...

TBF, I doubt many people buy Wranglers to pose - but I've been accused of it plenty of times! I'm in Birmingham and work in Peterborough, so aside from a few Fen lanes there's not much that fits in terms of work-time/free-time, and location, but I did roam around Kielder a bit (grew up in the Borders so I know my way about there).

I've introduced awareness of the Ibex to the mag/website, so hopefully we'll get some serious off-road content sorted.

Planning on joining the BOATS/Green lane club thing and making the most of the socially-distanced summer, and any tips welcome (bearing in mind I can't modify or break this one!). My 4x4 experience is all Borders and all unorganised bar a day with Ronnie Dale - and runs from Landies to Panda 4x4s. Wrangler is the dream though - I actually think I like it more than a G-Wagen!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Thankou! Be great to see how many JL owners there are in the UK.

Automobile? ;) I know. I called my pickups 'trucks' and got told it wasn't the house style...

TBF, I doubt many people buy Wranglers to pose - but I've been accused of it plenty of times! I'm in Birmingham and work in Peterborough, so aside from a few Fen lanes there's not much that fits in terms of work-time/free-time, and location, but I did roam around Kielder a bit (grew up in the Borders so I know my way about there).

I've introduced awareness of the Ibex to the mag/website, so hopefully we'll get some serious off-road content sorted.

Planning on joining the BOATS/Green lane club thing and making the most of the socially-distanced summer, and any tips welcome (bearing in mind I can't modify or break this one!). My 4x4 experience is all Borders and all unorganised bar a day with Ronnie Dale - and runs from Landies to Panda 4x4s. Wrangler is the dream though - I actually think I like it more than a G-Wagen!
I think Jeep only sell a few hundred Wranglers per year here. There are a few more members on here than there were say a year ago but I doubt there are more than 20.

The best source for information about green lanes (UCRs/BOATs) is Trailwise2 (TW2) which is the Green Lane Associationā€™s (GLASS...what a lot of acronyms lol) mapping tool. It shows all the UK lanes and has peer reviews for the majority of them. You need to join GLASS which is iirc Ā£45 pa. I think itā€™s worth joining just for the mapping tool.

Our day out yesterday was the first of what Iā€™m hoping to become a monthly event. You can read more here..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/u-k-jeepers-green-laning.53302/

Iā€™ll be posting another date for next month soon. Probably sticking to the third Thursday each month.

These days are suitable for all experiences and Iā€™ll plan them to be as non damaging as possible. You might pick up a pinstripe or two..itā€™s hard to avoid that really. Iā€™m yet to damage my Jeep.

Youā€™d be welcome to join us on one of these days. If youā€™re interested leave a comment in the thread I linked above.

I do the navigating so that others can enjoy the drive, all it costs is your fuel.

You can call it Jeep, truck, Wrangler anything really except car lol
Sponsored