STING GRAY Wrangler JL Club

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Uhhhh Yikes...Didn't realize that would start a firestorm.
umm...err...because, the internet?

I love the idea of a Rubicon, but am realistic about how hard I likely will hammer off-road, and am trying to stay within a budget. I also come from the "more fun to drive a slow car fast than the other way around" school of thought, so seeing what I can do in the dirt with a largely stock JL is entertaining to me. Spending $50K+ on a Rubi - not as entertaining to me :)

We'll see if I change my tune though, certainly been known to happen. Forums are usually a bad influence...
Sponsored

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wasn't after you at all.
Agreed.

It is hard enough to figure out what is going on if you are not a mechanic and/or Chrysler employee....I just find it helpful to have explicit information so everyone can learn and hopefully make the best decisions for themselves.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I know I don't have to tell anyone here that Sting-Gray is the best color, but Sting-Gray, IMO, seems to work particularly well for the JL Wrangler, maybe because of the modernized, purposeful, or paramilitary styling of the Wrangler?

Have you noticed other vehicles in similar grays don't look, I dunno...like that color fits that style of vehicle? Lately, I've noticed Civics, Chargers, and other sedans and coupes in a drab gray, and they look odd to me, like someone wearing leather pants who should clearly NOT be wearing leather pants. Thoughts?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I know I don't have to tell anyone here that Sting-Gray is the best color, but Sting-Gray, IMO, seems to work particularly well for the JL Wrangler, maybe because of the modernized, purposeful, or paramilitary styling of the Wrangler?

Have you noticed other vehicles in similar grays don't look, I dunno...like that color fits that style of vehicle? Lately, I've noticed Civics, Chargers, and other sedans and coupes in a drab gray, and they look odd to me, like someone wearing leather pants who should clearly NOT be wearing leather pants. Thoughts?
I fully agree that every vehicle out there has available colors that either work with its body shape and styling or just look like a poor match. My wife drives a 2nd gen 2016 Nissan Juke in a lightly metallic gunmetal grey, and it looks like a quality and sophisticated vehicle. I've seen the same car in a different color and it looked cheap and juvenile.

Stingray is the same paint code as Destroyer Grey, used by Dodge. It looks ok on the pickup and the Challenger but, at least to me, its look is on the road to olive green on a beetle. Ive seen Stingray Renegades and that look is right there neck and neck with an olive green beetle. Too alpha of a color for a cute college girl type of vehicle.

Stingrays one true home is on the JL Jeep Wrangler. Its subtle, but way too strong of a color for any other vehicle.
1590247435754.jpg
20200613_202820.jpg
20200613_203436.jpg

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
I think the Wrangler can get away with practically any color or shade simply because it is a timeless design whereas trend cars use whatever color/shade happens to be in “style” at the time.

A Wrangler isn’t really subject to this...at least that’s my opinion and I don’t even own one yet lol

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I fully agree that every vehicle out there has available colors that either work with its body shape and styling or just look like a poor match. My wife drives a 2nd gen 2016 Nissan Juke in a lightly metallic gunmetal grey, and it looks like a quality and sophisticated vehicle. I've seen the same car in a different color and it looked cheap and juvenile.

Stingray is the same paint code as Destroyer Grey, used by Dodge. It looks ok on the pickup and the Challenger but, at least to me, its look is on the road to olive green on a beetle. Ive seen Stingray Renegades and that look is right there neck and neck with an olive green beetle. Too alpha of a color for a cute college girl type of vehicle.

Stingrays one true home is on the JL Jeep Wrangler. Its subtle, but way too strong of a color for any other vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL STING GRAY Wrangler JL Club 20200613_203436
It’s the perfect grey. It’s like 18% grey or middle grey - equidistant from pure black as to pure white. Zero color/hue. Non-metallic.
I was reminded of the little scuffle regarding anvil grey earlier in this thread when I saw an Anvil jk the other day on the road. Wasn’t even next to a sting grey Jeep and immediately I could tell how so different the two paints are. Anvil definitely has a green hue to it.

LearRigh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 JLUS w/ one-touch top
Occupation
Logistician

I wasn't aware that there were people who SHOULD be wearing leather pants...

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Rangerhughes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2020 Mercedes AMG 45, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Dodge PW: 2017 Indian Chieftain
Looks great!! I've gotta find a take off Rubi suspension.
I have you can have, I will be passing through Tenn. along I 40 last week of the month in my class A, if you still need it we can meet up and it yours. It has less then 500 miles on the whole set up.

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2012 JKU previously
I have you can have, I will be passing through Tenn. along I 40 last week of the month in my class A, if you still need it we can meet up and it yours. It has less then 500 miles on the whole set up.
That would be great! Thank you so much! I’m right outside of Memphis. Will you be coming this far? PM me and we can arrange where to meet.
Sponsored