Willys Edition JL Club Thread

jeepinization

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE
Thanks for letting me know. If you can think of anything else which would help, would love the advice. What
The satin grill looks great. I've been thinking about repainting the gloss grill on my Willys, but this might be a better option. Quadratec mentions a separate trim kit as required; did you have to buy that as well? (If so, what is that kit? It is not clear to me from Quadratec's website where those pieces go.) Thanks,

Also really like the satin. I assume the grill inserts came as part of the satin grill?
Sponsored

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Also really like the satin. I assume the grill inserts came as part of the satin grill?
I'm weighing in because I think some of the original posters to this thread are no longer watching it. A few things I have found out:

- There are different grill kits available from Mopar. For example, Mopar offers both a satin finish kit as well as a stock replacement kit. The stock replacement kit is NOT painted - it is primed only - so requires painting before installation.

- The Satin grill comes with the inserts. But it does NOT come with the trim pieces that are required if you have a Sport model. Apparently, the Sport grills are a one-piece grill, so the trim pieces are attached and cannot be moved between grills. (Versus on the Rubicon and Sahara models, which have multiple-piece grills with detachable trim pieces.) So, if you have a Sport, you apparently have to buy not only the grill kit but the 2 trim kits as well.

- The trim kits (noted above) are NOT painted - they are primed only. So, you have to paint these before installing them on a Sport model. It seems odd that Mopar doesn't offer a painted trim kit to match the satin grill kit, but it appears they do not.

Bottom line: I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to just repaint my grill and trim pieces. I'm not a fan of the gloss black finish on the Willys grill, and the grill removes easily. With some light sanding to knock down the gloss finish, then a coat or 2 of primer, then 2 top coats of a matte black, I'd have the look I want for well under $50 versus over $300 to buy the Mopar parts (which require painting the trim pieces anyway). --And it would be another fun project on the JL!

jeepinization

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE
I'm weighing in because I think some of the original posters to this thread are no longer watching it. A few things I have found out:

- There are different grill kits available from Mopar. For example, Mopar offers both a satin finish kit as well as a stock replacement kit. The stock replacement kit is NOT painted - it is primed only - so requires painting before installation.

- The Satin grill comes with the inserts. But it does NOT come with the trim pieces that are required if you have a Sport model. Apparently, the Sport grills are a one-piece grill, so the trim pieces are attached and cannot be moved between grills. (Versus on the Rubicon and Sahara models, which have multiple-piece grills with detachable trim pieces.) So, if you have a Sport, you apparently have to buy not only the grill kit but the 2 trim kits as well.

- The trim kits (noted above) are NOT painted - they are primed only. So, you have to paint these before installing them on a Sport model. It seems odd that Mopar doesn't offer a painted trim kit to match the satin grill kit, but it appears they do not.

Bottom line: I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to just repaint my grill and trim pieces. I'm not a fan of the gloss black finish on the Willys grill, and the grill removes easily. With some light sanding to knock down the gloss finish, then a coat or 2 of primer, then 2 top coats of a matte black, I'd have the look I want for well under $50 versus over $300 to buy the Mopar parts (which require painting the trim pieces anyway). --And it would be another fun project on the JL!

Such great information! Thank you!

Sponsored

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Question: I've noticed that there seem to be two different types of front bumpers for the Willy's. One has what appears to be a slightly larger area around the LED fog lights with a hexagon pattern (pictured in Green) and another appears to be different (pictured in yellow). Is there any explanation here for the difference?

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 28e74465-24eb-4367-baa9-f689c992bda6-jpe
img_20200209_160501-jpg.jpg

JLEdCeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JL Willys
Question: I've noticed that there seem to be two different types of front bumpers for the Willy's. One has what appears to be a slightly larger area around the LED fog lights with a hexagon pattern (pictured in Green) and another appears to be different (pictured in yellow). Is there any explanation here for the difference?

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread img_20200209_160501-

The green one it's a Willys Sport. Hellayella it's a Willys. Willys Sport don't come with leds... no A/C , no power windows, etc... Check the different package and configurations in the Jeep site...

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
The green one it's a Willys Sport. Hellayella it's a Willys. Willys Sport don't come with leds... no A/C , no power windows, etc... Check the different package and configurations in the Jeep site...
Not sure why my previous post got doubled.

I just went to Jeep.com and built my Wrangler Willys (not a sport) right down to the color. It shows the same bumper as the Willys Sport. Thus, I’m still confused.

49598DAD-CE5F-4981-BE88-515F21A2E26E.png

F7F775B3-0F81-4430-9539-514A3BD76EE6.png

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
They added the Willy's Sport bumper to the regular Willy's. Looks much better than the previous one which has the bumper/ fender fillers. Would love to get my hands on a new one.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
They added the Willy's Sport bumper to the regular Willy's. Looks much better than the previous one which has the bumper/ fender fillers. Would love to get my hands on a new one.
Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.
Sponsored