DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another angle, with Freedom panels off. (35's with Mopar lift).
8VOOaYX.jpg
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It's not that bad with this six-cylinder as far as the power loss because of the 410 gears. I test drove yesterday at a Dealer ship one with a Mopar lift and 37s it was fast. I'm serious i floored it and it took off and it was so quick I cannot believe how fast these JLs run with 37's

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
It's not that bad with this six-cylinder as far as the power loss because of the 410 gears. I test drove yesterday at a Dealer ship one with a Mopar lift and 37s it was fast. I'm serious i floored it and it took off and it was so quick I cannot believe how fast these JLs run with 37's
What tires were they?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
37s toyos MT 37. 12.5. 17 the ones that you say are so heavy is it going to hurt the gas mileage for a little bit yes but it's a Jeep who cares this new transmission and with 410 gears it still is fast look at YouTube there's video several of someone with their phone showing how fast it still goes and you can hear the transmission shifting this thing gets up and moves with 37's

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
This is the one I test drove yesterday as you can see it has 37 MTS very quick I was very impressed the way drove not slow because it has heavy tires on it. Do I care it's going to hurt my gas mileage a little bit no it's a Jeep I'll take that trade-off I don't need to read gear which I could and that would make up for the gas mileage you don't need to regear everyone's been saying that post everywhere Facebook and on here you really don't have to read Gear with 410 and 37

20180319_135845.jpg

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
37s toyos MT 37. 12.5. 17 the ones that you say are so heavy is it going to hurt the gas mileage for a little bit yes but it's a Jeep who cares this new transmission and with 410 gears it still is fast look at YouTube there's video several of someone with their phone showing how fast it still goes and you can hear the transmission shifting this thing gets up and moves with 37's
Wow thats great news. It's not me saying it, it's a fact they are heavy. You can look it up the shipping weight is 97 pounds. Now compare the Cooper STT pro or Mastercraft Courser MXT and they come in at around the low 72-74 pound weight. I have no idea what kind of driving you did but I know my 35" Mud Grapplers (also one of the heaviest) drives great around town (auto trans 5.13 gears) and it becomes a complete pig on the highway if you get on a grade. I think the lighter tire would help that but what do I know. As far as gas mileage who cares, anyone who cares about fuel mileage is looking at the wrong vehicle.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It's not that much difference to me I'll stick with the better brand I'm not a fan of Cooper okay let it go. Your not even talking about 100 pounds total that's like one more passenger big deal

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
It's not that much difference to me I'll stick with the better brand I'm not a fan of Cooper okay let it go. Your not even talking about 100 pounds total that's like one more passenger big deal
It's slightly different, because it is unsprung, rotating mass, which affects the vehicle more dynamically than additional cargo weight.

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
It's slightly different, because it is unsprung, rotating mass, which affects the vehicle more dynamically than additional cargo weight.
Hit the nail on the head! Unsprung rotating mass is way different than having an extra passenger.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-unsprung-weight

"It is true that most rotating mass is indeed unsprung weight, as these parts aren’t supported by the vehicle’s suspension. In most cases, a reduction in unsprung weight generally implies a reduction in rotating mass, which in turn helps acceleration. To put it in perspective, rotating mass (such as a wheel or brake rotor) is roughly three times harder to accelerate than sprung weight (such as the additional weight of a passenger or rear seat).

This means that dropping just 10 pounds per wheel with the addition of a lighter set of racing-oriented wheels would equate to almost 120 pounds of sprung weight lost on the car, generally speaking. In most drag racing instances, a 100 pounds lost equates to a tenth or car length in the quarter mile -- that truly adds up if you’re racing competitively!"​

So an extra 100lbs is really an extra 300lbs! It's a huge difference. More weight you have to get moving, and more weight you have to try and stop!

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Hit the nail on the head! Unsprung rotating mass is way different than having an extra passenger.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-unsprung-weight

"It is true that most rotating mass is indeed unsprung weight, as these parts aren’t supported by the vehicle’s suspension. In most cases, a reduction in unsprung weight generally implies a reduction in rotating mass, which in turn helps acceleration. To put it in perspective, rotating mass (such as a wheel or brake rotor) is roughly three times harder to accelerate than sprung weight (such as the additional weight of a passenger or rear seat).

This means that dropping just 10 pounds per wheel with the addition of a lighter set of racing-oriented wheels would equate to almost 120 pounds of sprung weight lost on the car, generally speaking. In most drag racing instances, a 100 pounds lost equates to a tenth or car length in the quarter mile -- that truly adds up if you’re racing competitively!"​

So an extra 100lbs is really an extra 300lbs! It's a huge difference. More weight you have to get moving, and more weight you have to try and stop!
Exactly! I really think I'll notice the lighter tire weight.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
I can not find a bad review on the Cooper sst pro’s, that’s what I am going with, just have to decide if I am keeping the stock wheels for a bit or upgrading

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I can not find a bad review on the Cooper sst pro’s, that’s what I am going with, just have to decide if I am keeping the stock wheels for a bit or upgrading
Yeah it seems they're pretty popular in the Wrangler community. I have only run the Nitto Trail and Mud Grapplers and both are heavy.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
LOL he's a "brand" guy.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I ran coopers on my 2010 I liked performance but they didn’t last, I ran Toyo MT’s on my 2014, they worked great and lasted but they did like to hold on to rocks 3/4 minus size.... this time I’m trying 37KO2’s since I intened on playing more in the snow and sand aired down to low teens....
Sponsored