islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 Cherokee, '91 Jeep YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Been working on getting the Rubi out to Oahu for last couple of months. It's been a good distraction from all of the craziness going on around us and the Rubi arrived yesterday.

Transport journal here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeeping-oahu-transport-journal.47755/

So the build journal can now begin. Lots of time to think about different things to do with the Rubi but let's start with the stock Rubi as it showed up yesterday.

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_9852.jpg

Looking forward to having all the adventures that Buck did in Call of the Wild.

TCOTW-1-560x315.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Put in the Mopar all weather mats. Not sure the drain plug is really fully connected, but it seems close enough. We'll see if the sand drains out well with some water.

Big project for today was to install the Smittybilt SRC side armor steps. Took about four hours but a lot of that was messing around with getting the driver to socket adapter. Good thing Home Depot is still open for these essential purchases.

The video from Extreme Terrain really helped.

Step one, removing the stock Rubicon rock rails.

IMG_3301.JPG

Then attaching the Smittybilt cover for the pinch seam.

IMG_1472.JPG

Now to get that onto the Rubi, I had to use some real torque on the hammer drill to crack the paint on the factory bolts. Not too bad, but gave me some concerns about not getting a clean break on the paint job. Turns out it's all covered by the Smittybilt strip anyway, but still glad that it came out clean.

IMG_6280.JPG

Next up, load up the side step and since I was by myself, grabbed the ancient rubbermaid cooler out to help hold up one end.

IMG_2501.JPG

It was actually relatively easy to get the side step hanging on the back two body bolts and get the bolts in place to hold it in. The front bolts were another story. Getting that nut that's on a the long metal wire into the right place took some imagination, some flexibility which my rotator cuff did not enjoy, and a lot of patience. But in the end, it all worked out.

IMG_4355.JPG

Loving the new side armor and it'll help all the smaller members of the family get in and out.

IMG_2539.JPG

Final note on the DIY space to do the work on the car, the Smittybilt box was a lifesaver to help me get under the Rubi and work on everything.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice.
What are your plans for the Jeep?
Daily driver, surf board transport, off roading with the some of the local groups here on Oahu, and possibly rig up as an overland for some beach camping. The islands not that big but it'll be nice to tour it with the top off and do some social distancing by being on the road and enjoying the island.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you could tell, but the Rubi was really dirty from the cross country trip and then the wait in Long Beach before being loaded on the ship. So, employed all the kids and some cousins to do a really complete wash.

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_7316.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Back to Maui Off Road Center to get the tires updated to the BFG 315 K02's. No lift, just replaced the tires and kept the stock tires. Here's the before and after. I tried to make this as close as possible a direct comparison. Actual height change on paper is just under 2". Can't really feel it too much but I really like how it fills out the wheel wells. The dealership had left all tires at high pressure - since it was still under transport cross country - so with the tire change, I also aired down from 50 to 35.

Overall (a lot likely due to the air pressure) driving at freeway speeds feels a lot better and the Rubi tends to wander a bit less.

Stock wheels with BFG K02 285/70R17
IMG_3496 3.JPG

Stock wheels with 315/70R17 BFG K02 ‘E' Rated
IMG_0144_2.JPG

I was able to determine that you can fit all five stock Rubi tires in the back of the jeep. And I was able to get the stock tires to their new owner today. When I saw his name on email, it looked familiar and turns out he's a big wave surfer from the North Shore. He won some of the big tournaments back in the day, small world.

IMG_4329.JPG

Final minor edits for today, I put on the Seven Sparta door sill covers.

IMG_3519.JPG

So far:
Mopar all weather mats
Smittybilt SRC side armor
BFG K02 315/70R17
Seven Sparta door sill guards

To be installed:
Rhino rack backbone

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I will be following along closely...I loved renting a Jeep in Oahu, great choice for where you live!

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Put in the Mopar all weather mats. Not sure the drain plug is really fully connected, but it seems close enough. We'll see if the sand drains out well with some water.

Big project for today was to install the Smittybilt SRC side armor steps. Took about four hours but a lot of that was messing around with getting the driver to socket adapter. Good thing Home Depot is still open for these essential purchases.

The video from Extreme Terrain really helped.

Step one, removing the stock Rubicon rock rails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buck - 2020 Rubicon Build Hawaii IMG_3519.JPG

Then attaching the Smittybilt cover for the pinch seam.

Now to get that onto the Rubi, I had to use some real torque on the hammer drill to crack the paint on the factory bolts. Not too bad, but gave me some concerns about not getting a clean break on the paint job. Turns out it's all covered by the Smittybilt strip anyway, but still glad that it came out clean.

Next up, load up the side step and since I was by myself, grabbed the ancient rubbermaid cooler out to help hold up one end.

It was actually relatively easy to get the side step hanging on the back two body bolts and get the bolts in place to hold it in. The front bolts were another story. Getting that nut that's on a the long metal wire into the right place took some imagination, some flexibility which my rotator cuff did not enjoy, and a lot of patience. But in the end, it all worked out.

Loving the new side armor and it'll help all the smaller members of the family get in and out.

Final note on the DIY space to do the work on the car, the Smittybilt box was a lifesaver to help me get under the Rubi and work on everything.

Do you lose any ground clearance with those rails/steps? It's difficult to tell but it looks like they hang down below a pretty good ways.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you lose any ground clearance with those rails/steps? It's difficult to tell but it looks like they hang down below a pretty good ways.
Yeah, I looks like that from up top, but when you look underneath, the lowest tube is what bolts on at frame level and then the two top tubes angle up from there. So clearance is not changed from a height perspective, but you are effectively bringing the frame height farther out making the base wider.

Here's an attempt to show that. The area circled in blue is where it bolts into the body frame and the blue line is horizontal from there to the bottom of the lower tube.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buck - 2020 Rubicon Build Hawaii IMG_4287.JPG

Let me know if that helps, I can get other shots if needed.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I looks like that from up top, but when you look underneath, the lowest tube is what bolts on at frame level and then the two top tubes angle up from there. So clearance is not changed from a height perspective, but you are effectively bringing the frame height farther out making the base wider.

Here's an attempt to show that. The area circled in blue is where it bolts into the body frame and the blue line is horizontal from there to the bottom of the lower tube.

Jeep Wrangler JL Buck - 2020 Rubicon Build Hawaii IMG_4287.JPG

Let me know if that helps, I can get other shots if needed.
That's an awesome perspective and really good to know. I've had my eye on several of the Smitty Bilt products and this is one of them.

Sponsored

musubi39

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hi Mark (Island Jeep), did you get the Smittybilt SRC side armor locally or have to have it shipped? Remember how much you paid? Shipping? Steps look sharp and need something for my kids. Thought about the Mopar Performance Rock Rails but kinda pricey at a grand.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark (Island Jeep), did you get the Smittybilt SRC side armor locally or have to have it shipped? Remember how much you paid? Shipping? Steps look sharp and need something for my kids. Thought about the Mopar Performance Rock Rails but kinda pricey at a grand.
Hi Musubi - I got it from 4 Wheel Parts. $398.83 delivered to the Waipahu store for pick up. I got one of the "we pay for the tax" specials. If you head over to Oahu Jeeps on Facebook, there's a group / club discount of like 5 or 10% from 4 Wheel Parts. HTH.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates?
Sponsored