danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up and pictures. You’ve steered me towards this bumper! I’ve read a lot of great reviews and have a question. The JK reviews mention ordering a vac pump relocation bracket. I’m new to Jeep, so did you do that or was it straight bolt on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2004 TJ, 2008 jKUR, 2018 JLUR (on order)
Have you had a chance to off road this vehicle yet? If so, how have the rock rails held up? Any front wheel contact with the bumper during flex?

TIA
Yes we've taken it off road and done some rock climbing with it and the rock sliders have some gouges in them. They will hold up great because they mount to the pinch seem and they also mount to the 3 body mount bolts so they aren't going anywhere. The front wheel does not make contact with the bumper during flex, not even remotely close.

Reactions: DaK
OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@matrix311 did you install the rear bumper and tire carrier yet? Pictures?
Not yet, the rear bumper was finally released. With Christmas around the corner we are holding off on ordering the rear bumper until early next year. We are going to go with the aluminum rear bumper and the tire riser. We are not doing the full bumper with swing out tire carrier, we like one handed operation to open the tailgate and we are only on 35's so the tailgate is strong enough to hold it. We will eventually do rockhards' tailgate reinforcement kit or buy a used mopar one if someone sells it.

OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great write up and pictures. You’ve steered me towards this bumper! I’ve read a lot of great reviews and have a question. The JK reviews mention ordering a vac pump relocation bracket. I’m new to Jeep, so did you do that or was it straight bolt on?
It was straight bolt on. Since this is a JL and not a JK there was no need to relocate the vac pump. This bumper also comes with the rubicon axle disconnect skid plate which most other bumpers do not and they upcharge you for that skid where the RH front bumper has it included.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Not yet, the rear bumper was finally released. With Christmas around the corner we are holding off on ordering the rear bumper until early next year. We are going to go with the aluminum rear bumper and the tire riser. We are not doing the full bumper with swing out tire carrier, we like one handed operation to open the tailgate and we are only on 35's so the tailgate is strong enough to hold it. We will eventually do rockhards' tailgate reinforcement kit or buy a used mopar one if someone sells it.
Right on. I think this is the exact same route I will take. As soon as I have a Jeep to put it on. Will wait until OEM tires wear out to go with 35s so that may not be until late next year for the spare tire bracket.

Thanks for the update.

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Yes we've taken it off road and done some rock climbing with it and the rock sliders have some gouges in them. They will hold up great because they mount to the pinch seem and they also mount to the 3 body mount bolts so they aren't going anywhere. The front wheel does not make contact with the bumper during flex, not even remotely close.
Thanks

OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Working on a lift, fender chop kit and rear bumper at the moment! Should transform the JL nicely.
Teraflex 2.5" Lift
Falcon 2.1 Shocks
Rugged Ridge Rubicon Fender Chop Kit
Rear bumper is undecided at the moment. Might go with Rustys Offroad since it has the license plate holder integrated into the bumper. Also considering the Rockhard rear aluminum bumper as well since our front bumper and sliders are rockhard.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Working on a lift, fender chop kit and rear bumper at the moment! Should transform the JL nicely.
Teraflex 2.5" Lift
Falcon 2.1 Shocks
Rugged Ridge Rubicon Fender Chop Kit
Rear bumper is undecided at the moment. Might go with Rustys Offroad since it has the license plate holder integrated into the bumper. Also considering the Rockhard rear aluminum bumper as well since our front bumper and sliders are rockhard.

Now that I have the Rustys Tire Carrier dialed in, I am loving the RH rear aluminum much more.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the same front RockHard alum. Patriot mid length. After almost a year and a lot of tail time, I still am very happy with it.
Hi-Lift Jack mounted.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that I have the Rustys Tire Carrier dialed in, I am loving the RH rear aluminum much more.
Do you have a photo of the rear bumper you can post?

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Yesterday I received delivery of our new bumper and rock sliders for our JLUR. Been itching for this to arrive so we can get the factory plastic crap bumpers removed and get something better looking on there! I've always been a fan of Rockhard products. Their powdercoat job is amazing and really holds up to the elements. I've had their steel stubby winch bumper on my yj for 6 years and then transferred the same bumper to my new to me TJ and the bumper still looks amazing.

This time around we opted to go with aluminum front bumper instead of the steel front bumper. I've found that over the years I hardly hit that bumper in the rocks, mainly just the rear bumper I smash as I come off rocks or have weird departure angles. Since the front bumper doesnt take much abuse, thats why I went aluminum vs steel. There is also a big weight difference, the aluminum is 37LB vs the steel weighing in at 137LB. Pair that with a winch and thats a lot of extra weight on the front end. Luckily I went with a synthetic line vs steel line so that cuts down on the weight up front significantly.

Here is a link to the Rockhard Aluminum Mid Width sunken Winch bumper.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90248.htm

Here is a link to the steel rock sliders. Easy bolt on and your done. Took me about an hour to install the sliders. Hardest part was just removing the front most body mount bolt, it was a PITA on both sides. The other 4 zipped right off.
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90104.htm
Looks great, dumb question as I'm about to install my RH front bumper and winch. any issues with fitment of the winch when installing the bumper first - does it drop right in? thanks

OP
OP

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great, dumb question as I'm about to install my RH front bumper and winch. any issues with fitment of the winch when installing the bumper first - does it drop right in? thanks
fit like a glove, no issues whatsoever. Enjoy!

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Installing a Warn Zeon 10S will require a little coercion since it is a very tight fit. It is doable though.