First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I was hoping that Bestop would have addressed the issue by now. If they ever get back to you please let us know.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I don't have a clue why anyone would recommend mirrors like that on the fabric doors. The great thing about those doors is that you can take the tops and bottoms off and easily store them in the vehicle. Those mirrors will just get in the way, prevent compact stacking, and you will have NO mirrors if you remove the bottoms. I would use something similar to this: https://www.quadratec.com/p/lange-originals/coyote-mirror-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl

or these: https://www.quadratec.com/p/trail-mirror-kit-rectangular-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl-11025.26

On my JK pictured earlier in this thread, the mirrors were mounted on the windshield frame, but since the windshield is easier to drop on the JT/JL, cowl mount would be ideal.
lots of talk about mirrors on the doors not fitting. Moabite’s comment seems to be overlooked however he is spot on. You don’t want mirrors on your soft doors.

That said, I had the soft doors on my YJ. Best jeep purchase I have made!!! If you want quiet and leakproof you will be disappointed, but if you want easy on and off doors that you can bring with in case of cold or rain these are AWESOME!

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
For those with the doors, do they lock/unlock with the power locks (using the fob and auto lock/unlock settings) or only via the keyed lock in the handle?

Edit: never mind, answered my own question looking at a pic of a doorless JT :CWL::facepalm:...

Whitepanther

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Everyone seems to mention leaks, and a big part of why I would buy them is to protect the inside when it rains. How much leaking are we talking about? Will I be sitting in a puddle after it rains, and it's going to ruin the leather seats?

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Everyone seems to mention leaks, and a big part of why I would buy them is to protect the inside when it rains. How much leaking are we talking about? Will I be sitting in a puddle after it rains, and it's going to ruin the leather seats?
From our sister forum:

Electronics that still work when wet
At this point, we've established that the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator are loaded with electronics, but things that run off electricity don't play nice with water, so how are the Wrangler's and Gladiator's complex electronics engineered to hold up as they ride in vehicles that are capable of fording 30 inches of water?

"So we have a 30-inch water-fording depth, which means we strike a line right down the vehicle," Wrangler's Lees says. "Anything, any electronic device that is housed below that line has to be completely submersible. Anything above does not have to be, but it has to be water-resistant."

But don't think electronic components above the fording line have it any easier, for they have to undergo a 16-hour mist test. "At our tech center in Auburn Hills, [Michigan], we have a booth that we put the Jeep in," Lees says. "We take the top off, we take the windshield, fold it down, windows down, and then for 16 hours, it's just got a fine mist that is raining down on it."

Lees says the mist test is meant to simulate the Wrangler's and Gladiator's water resistance in the event the vehicles are left exposed in a thunderstorm while camping.

"We have to make sure that [...] when you walk in and you see water puddled everywhere in the foot wells [...] we don't strand the driver," he says. The misting may last 16 hours, but the vehicle is periodically checked over the next several months to make sure everything, from the USB ports to the radio, still operates.

"What we found when we run these tests [is that] water gets into places that we had no thought that it would be and just starts dripping down. So we may have to be really strategic and put some type of awning or umbrella over the top of a certain electrical component because water can drip down on it."
I wouldn't worry too much about some water getting in from the soft doors, just make sure to let it dry out. :like:

Sponsored

JLmidwest

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I was hoping that Bestop would have addressed the issue by now. If they ever get back to you please let us know.
So, the picture you see in advertising with the tj style mirror attached is either a preproduction, photo shop, or ???. The doors you actually get will be slightly different and this is why the recommended mirror doesn't work. I was told to try leaving mirror loose, attach the door halfs together as best I can then tighten the mirror down. To which I responded that defeats the point of having two piece doors. Why would someone loosen or remove a mirror every time they want to switch between full and half doors. Best option if you get the doors would be get a mirror that attaches to the jeep body or possibly find a different mirror for the door. I've seen some I think could be made to work. The resolutions I would like are someone admitting what you see and what you get are two different things. A mirror that mounts to the door allowing two piece doors to function the way they are intended, or at the very least stop recommending a mirror that doesn't work. Passing the info along to vendors would also be a good idea. Not to concered really. I'll figure something out. EDIT: Bestop did reach out and offer to send a new set of front doors to see if that's the problem, or different mirrors with a smaller foot print for my doors to see if they work. I declined, going to get some that mount to the jeep itself.

Last edited:

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
They aren't totally water-tight (or at least mine weren't). But if you bend the uppers in to where the top of the door contacts the vehicle first and you need to pull on the handle to close the door, they seal really well. I remember putting the mounting posts for the uppers into a bench vise and gently bending them so the upper slanted slightly inward.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
:jk::jk::jk:
They leak less than tube doors. :LOL: In all seriousness my leaks were virtually nonexistent. I only mentioned it because I won’t want anyone to have the expectation that these will be like OEM hard doors. They are awesome, they are a jeep thing! :jk: :rock:

MJK-Rubi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon edition
Anyone buying soft doors or a have a soft top with any doors. Please don't ever lock your doors. I've heard nightmare stories about people having their Jeep robbed and because the doors were locked they used a razor and cut the top. Imagine the horror of your Jeep being robbed and to make matters worse your top/doors slashed open.

BTW- My front doors came in today. The Twill looks great. Going to get them on this weekend for a test ride while I wait for the rears to come in.

IMG_20200409_122009_MP.jpg

IMG_20200409_121958_MP.jpg

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
love to see these on your truck when you put them on.
really interested in these since they seem to be the only option for a door that can protect from the weather yet can store in bed when not using.

Sponsored

BrentThomas

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon, 19 Cherokee, 93 C3500 454, 04 Silverado RCSB
Following. Had these on the TJ, curious how these work out for you.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Anyone buying soft doors or a have a soft top with any doors. Please don't ever lock your doors. I've heard nightmare stories about people having their Jeep robbed and because the doors were locked they used a razor and cut the top. Imagine the horror of your Jeep being robbed and to make matters worse your top/doors slashed open.

BTW- My front doors came in today. The Twill looks great. Going to get them on this weekend for a test ride while I wait for the rears to come in.

Jeep Gladiator Bestop 2-Piece Full Fabric Doors, Front JL SKU: 5175017 IMG_20200409_121958_MP

Jeep Gladiator Bestop 2-Piece Full Fabric Doors, Front JL SKU: 5175017 IMG_20200409_121958_MP
Any photos of them on your jeep?

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
Not great pictures, but I got the front door on last month then ran out of time that day. After that all the mirror issues were mentioned and I haven't gone any farther with the install. These 2 pics are the fabric door with and without the upper.
Jeep Gladiator Bestop 2-Piece Full Fabric Doors, Front JL SKU: 5175017 IMG_5808
Jeep Gladiator Bestop 2-Piece Full Fabric Doors, Front JL SKU: 5175017 IMG_5809

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
In your picture it looks like the gap at the top is huge. Am I seeing that correctly or is it a camera trick? I've heard you had to bend the ones for the JK to get them to seal but I didn't think it was that much.

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
In your picture it looks like the gap at the top is huge. Am I seeing that correctly or is it a camera trick? I've heard you had to bend the ones for the JK to get them to seal but I didn't think it was that much.
Bear in mind that I simply took off my door, put this on, and attached the upper. These have not been adjusted other than to make the lower close against the strike plate. There is some adjustment for the door and upper, but there will still be a gap.
Sponsored