Hood Tie-downs?

Jackhole

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hey new member here, has anyone used the looped openings at the windshield washer fluid sprayers on the hood to tie down a boat or kayak on the roof? I know they are designed to tie down the windshield when open but was wondering if they could handle a beefier task? Thx
Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I would not use the windshield tie downs. You are most likely going to warp the hood sheet metal if you apply the force necessary to strap down the boat or kayak

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hey new member here, has anyone used the looped openings at the windshield washer fluid sprayers on the hood to tie down a boat or kayak on the roof? I know they are designed to tie down the windshield when open but was wondering if they could handle a beefier task? Thx
For something like that, I think you would be better off with a roof rack, or the rack pieces for the trail rail system.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
They look sturdy, but I would probably use something like the bumper instead.

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Use the front tow hooks and a roof rack. :like:

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I had thought about this same thing and decided against it. Didn't look quite sturdy enough for that. The problem with using the tow hooks on the bumper is that they curve inward and I can't see how rope would stay affixed to that. It seems like without a roof or bed tack, securing a canoe or kyak isn't going to be easy with this truck. I haven't tried mine yet, so I'm curious to see how folks have done it.

OP
OP

Jackhole

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I had thought about this same thing and decided against it. Didn't look quite sturdy enough for that. The problem with using the tow hooks on the bumper is that they curve inward and I can't see how rope would stay affixed to that. It seems like without a roof or bed tack, securing a canoe or kyak isn't going to be easy with this truck. I haven't tried mine yet, so I'm curious to see how folks have done it.
Exactly my problem! The tow hooks don’t allow for that kind of application.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Can you not use a bed extender attached to the trailer hitch. Load it in the bed of the truck and secure it.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'd find a solid tie down points from bumpers, remember the hood just has 2 plastic latches and safety hook too. It doesn't seem like much. Just for that I installed eyebolts on my Comanche bumpers for hauling a canoe.

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
Sorry I have no kayak carrying experience. I bought some of these a few weeks back to rig up my hard top hoist. My understanding is Kayak folks use these for front end tie downs. Like what you were looking to do with the windshield tie downs.
https://www.rei.com/product/818318/seattle-sports-hood-loops

better pic:
https://www.amazon.com/Sherpak-Seattle-Sports-Hood-Loops/dp/B081VLCD5T
I’ve used hood loops in the past and they worked well. Then you just tuck them under the hood when not in use. Your main binding of the boat should be on whatever rack you are using with the bow and stern lines preventing the ends from moving a lot and acting as a lever against the rack. It is not necessary to have them super tight. I do not have my JT yet but I’m trying to figure out my kayak hauling situation. I had a gobi rack on my JK and want to avoid that as a solution on the JT. I have a 12’ and a 14’ so I do not want to use a bed extender for long camping trips. Especially if I make a trailer with RTT.

chuckfinley79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JT
If you’re not going too far I used to put ours in the bed of my Colorado against the tailgate and run a ratchet strap over them and through the back doors with a folded up blanket for padding (short trips, 10 minutes or less) or lay them in the bed with the tailgate down and run a ratchet strap through the carry handles on the kayaks for longer trips.
Sponsored