Sponsored

Breakover/Departure Angle Calculator...is this correct?

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Ok, help me here. I am trying to determine my 'new' breakover/departure angles. I'm using the following calculator:
https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/KurtHeckman/Breakover+angle

Now, for the details. JTR with 2.5 TeraFlex lift. 37" Nitto wheels. So, just noodling the breakover angle, if stock Rubicon is 11.1", add the lift (2.5"), take half the extra wheel height (2.0") that gives the new clearance at 15.6" Take that value, use 137.3" for the length, the new breakover angle is 25.6". If this is correct, then if the stock breakover angle is 20.3 that's an increase of 5.3"!

Am I missing anything?
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Fairly certain that the ground clearance spec is for the lowest spot on the truck which is the differential pumpkin.

Breakover (let's call it BOA) is B in the Jeep diagram below which means to calculate the space under the frame, you need to halve the wheelbase and halve the BOA to create a right triangle.

off-roading-diagram.gif

Math time... in this diagram, angle C will be half your BOA (so 10.15 degrees), b will be half the wheelbase (69"), and c will be your clearance under the frame. Plug those values in and you get 12.35" ground clearance under the frame at the mid point.

Work that backwards using 16.85" (stock ground clearance +4.5" in mods) as c and 69" as b (leaving out C) and you get half your new BOA which is 13.72 degrees giving you a new breakover of around 27.5 degrees. This, of course, assumes you are getting exactly 4.5" lift front and rear... if the truck gets 4.5" front and 3.5" rear to level, you get less clearance out of it.
800px-Tri%C3%A2ngulo_Ret%C3%A2ngulo.jpg

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
To all those kids wondering if you'll ever use math after high school, I submit the above...
Sponsored