Sponsored

Lets talk manual transmission and stalling.

Expedition JT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT, 94 YJ, CJ-8 Scrambler
On my first and only time taking the Jeep off-road at Rousch I noticed a few things. I. 4L it takes a lot of feathering the gas to stop the annoying clanking of the drivetrain slack while on and off the throttle. Even while off the throttle. Never had these noises in my ax-15. I started getting better with it the more the day went on. Anyone else notice this in their manual JT?
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
On my first and only time taking the Jeep off-road at Rousch I noticed a few things. I. 4L it takes a lot of feathering the gas to stop the annoying clanking of the drivetrain slack while on and off the throttle. Even while off the throttle. Never had these noises in my ax-15. I started getting better with it the more the day went on. Anyone else notice this in their manual JT?
Hadnā€™t noticed that in some light off road if Iā€™ve done so far.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Expedition JT,
We are sorry to hear that your JT is not performing to it's expectations. If you do decide to address these concerns with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message for additional support during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

jjstohr-13

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Renegade, '20 Gladiator Sport with only 3 options.
I'm definitely loving this transmission on my JT. I've driven everything from 5ton ARMY trucks with worn out synchronizers to my current Renegade and I am more than pleased with the Gladiator. I also heard that there is a recall on the clutch. I've already noticed the burning smell if I have to back up a trailer. Even my little single motorcycle trailer that can't be 1200# with the bike makes it stink. Anyone else have this yet?

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I'm definitely loving this transmission on my JT. I've driven everything from 5ton ARMY trucks with worn out synchronizers to my current Renegade and I am more than pleased with the Gladiator. I also heard that there is a recall on the clutch. I've already noticed the burning smell if I have to back up a trailer. Even my little single motorcycle trailer that can't be 1200# with the bike makes it stink. Anyone else have this yet?
Do you know any of the details on the recall?

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
.....Anyone else have this yet?
IMO, reverse is a little on the short side from a gearing standpoint.. it seems to be somewhere between 1st and 2nd. But I don't like driving full speed reverse, so i do a lot of feathering/riding the clutch. if i back up up hill or a long way, its gonna smell like clutch...
I doubt you'll blow it up backing a trailer.
I still believe the clutches that grenade are toward the end of their life and start to slip at highway speeds against wind resistance... but, that's my guess.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, reverse is a little on the short side from a gearing standpoint.. it seems to be somewhere between 1st and 2nd. But I don't like driving full speed reverse, so i do a lot of feathering/riding the clutch. if i back up up hill or a long way, its gonna smell like clutch...
I doubt you'll blow it up backing a trailer.
I still believe the clutches that grenade are toward the end of their life and start to slip at highway speeds against wind resistance... but, that's my guess.
I'm pretty sure reverse is the same ratio as 1st. When I idle with the clutch out in 1st and reverse I'm doing 3 MPH.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Handy tip, turn off traction control when backing up where you need to feather the clutch, especially if towing or backing up a hill. You aren't fighting the computer, and you'll have a much easier time. This works well for me.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Regarding "clanking" while off-road --- if I lug it in first gear, and put the clutch in at the last minute, in a high traction situation, it will "clank" when all the pressure is released off the drive train..., but, I consider this normal and probably necessary "slop" to keep things from binding up.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I'm pretty sure reverse is the same ratio as 1st. When I idle with the clutch out in 1st and reverse I'm doing 3 MPH.
Here are the gear ratios:
1 -- 5.13
2 -- 2.63
3 -- 1.53
4 -- 1.00
5 -- 0.81
6 -- 0.72
R -- 4.49

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Want one you can't hardly stall-- try my Jeepster Commando with a three speed manual and the odd-fire V-6 with it's 85 pound flywheel!

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
In fact, I'd say it's better than most manuals I've had (save for gems like the one in the Miata, for example, but WAY better than manuals I've had in my older Porsches).
That's funny, I have an NA Miata and JT

How do you drive the JT? Rev to 3 and drop the clutch?

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
So i was out wheelin and generally speaking, i really enjoy the MT while crawling however... this time around it was a very slow technical crawl and i stalled... a lot.

I've been driving stick since i was 16 (34 now) and very limited offroad experience.

I had a hard time (4L) time keeping it at a good pace while crawling and giving it enough gas so the engine doesn't stall but then not feathering the clutch the whole time while in a climbing / low speed situation.

You guys are the experts, what am i doing wrong?

Should i just get better at crawling inclines and also feathering the clutch?

Is there.. a way for me to be in 1st gear 4 low and keeping a slow crawl without stalling / having to feather the clutch?

thanks!

Pics below from today's fun.

Jeep Gladiator Lets talk manual transmission and stalling. 117338392_1028423417615028_1670559065798661774_n

117595623_299668948042011_3406823017476238733_n.jpg
Sponsored