Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have been on here since 2017 waiting for the eco diesel to be released. I ordered my Jeep back on 14 Oct and took delivery 24 March My upgrade list will grow as I update, for fun my son and I will also be adding more photos of the build and adventures on (@that_punkn_diesel) if you wish to follow along I welcome any feedback there as well.

This build will be done with my oldest son with occasional help from my 4yr and 2yr old. For my build, I am just looking to have fun and spend time with my boys.

Please make comments/suggestions. I spend more time researching products and idea’s probably more than I really want to admit, and I have a plan on what I want out of this vehicle and what I intend to use this for. This is my first off-road vehicle and First JEEP. There are a lot of people here with far greater knowledge than me and I welcome any advice and or suggestions. My goal here is to go as slow as possible and find the best items that fit my style of off-roading and Overlanding. That is a very hard task especially seeing all these beautifully built Jeeps make me want to go out and buy everything.

Original Order Specs

• JLU Rubicon
  • Punk’n Orange
  • 3.0L Eco Diesel
  • Auto
  • Steel Bumpers
  • LED Lighting Group
  • Safety Group
  • Infotainment Group
  • Tow Group
  • Body Color Fenders
  • Black Hardtop
  • Dark Saddle Leather Interior

69CFA6D7-820A-4F44-9F5F-0F5B559226EA.jpg

67B8215F-567E-4C2E-8305-6EF6C35E5430.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I know every Jeep and Jeep Owner has a story as to how they got here. I figured I would start there with my build. This is a build near and dear to my heart.

Most Stories like this start off falling in love with Jeeps at a very early age. Daydreaming of one day owning one of the most iconic American made off-road machines. Building Jeeps before they could drive and owning five, six, even seven different Jeeps.

My story is not like this at all. Growing up I was into sports I played everything from baseball, football, and basketball. Once I was old enough to start getting into cars low riders and the pre-fast n’ the furious phase started coming along. I was into fast cars, low riders and even Honda’s. Never did I have an itch for offroading/Overlanding or even Jeeping.

My interest and love for Jeeps didn’t begin until I was in my mid 20’s. My son was born with a congenital heart defect that required him to have three major heart surgeries when he was six months, 18 months and three years old. My son is the most important person in my life and at that time and I knew that I wanted to be as close to him as possible.

When Julian was a baby we spent a lot of time at his grandparents’ house. His grandfather had an old CJ in his garage and Just bought another CJ. I never understood the reasoning behind it at the time. According to him, his current CJ was full of body rust and his new one was rust free. OK, I thought. Not my thing but whatever. Julian, on the other hand, loved both of those Jeeps and would spend hours playing inside them with his cars not wanting to get out. Seeing his face light up was truly something special. He LOVED those two Jeeps. We would spend several nights camping in Big Bear, Anza Borrego and during the day Julian’s eyes would light up once it was time to hit the trails. Looking back and seeing his face bounce up and down with the biggest smile on his face, I knew right then and there I needed a Jeep of my own. As he got older he would ask me about getting a Jeep and going Jeepin with grandpa. I had made a promise to him that I would get one for us.

At the time I was still in the Navy and didn’t have the most income. So instead of keeping my promises, I had to settle for what was best for the family. Family sedans and hand me down cars. Over the years I know Julian lost faith in us having a Jeep. Now married and with two more boys it seemed impossible, but all good things come to those who wait right? Once the JL was announced I stalked the forums gathering as much info and going through thousands of pictures, modifications and builds and I knew that would be my next ride. Then came the announcement of the 3.0l ecodiesel with an estimated 30mpg’s. Now I never had faith in 30mpg’s but as time went on that number actually seemed very much attainable. I thought I have always wanted a diesel and for the last 12 years I have lusted for a Jeep, why not make my first ever Jeep the first North American production Wrangler with a diesel engine. Now I wait. There were several rumors swirling around that time, the diesel will come, late 18-year model, then it would be a 19-year model. I waited and waited patiently still stalking the forums and still reading everything there was about the JL. Then came the announcement, the ecodiesel will be at dealers by the end of 2019. It took another week or two but then order banks opened and immediately I went down to one of the local dealers that were willing to work with me and got my first Jeep order in.

Finally, After 5+ beer days of waiting, we took delivery of our very first Jeep. The best part of the delivery was having my 14-year old by my side and there for the very first ride. (And stupid me I didn't get a pic of us) :headbang:

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A few weeks ago I took my son on his 8th grade NYC/DC trip. He elected for me to take him rather than go with his class. It was an absolute blast and we made it out of there right as they were locking and closing everything down. We got a Rental in NYC that we drove to Gettysburg, Philly and DC and back to NYC and was given a JL sport. It was nice but I noticed on the drive that the Jeeps didn’t have a Dead pedal and after long drives it was really bothering me. So when I got home I ordered one immediately.

E32B4591-D713-4705-901E-C245983206E4.jpeg

The instructions were simple and easy but damn this easy mod was a Pain in the ass to install. Getting my hands and the bracket into place in the tiny little areas wasn’t fun. Not to mention the seat rail was jamming me in my ribs the whole time.

941A451A-6064-413E-A3BB-E477654FF860.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
During my long wait I went through several phases of wheels I had ordered a set of ProComps and after having them for about a month I didn’t think the color was going to match well then it was a Toss up between black rhino arsnenol and the Icon Rebounds. I ended up choosing the Icons.

058F631B-E219-4E99-B743-989449AEEADF.jpeg

I was also having the same internal debate with the milestar’s and the Toyo’s. I couldn’t beat the deal I got on the milestars so I ordered them as well. Wheels and tires arrived except 1 tire..

A83CE016-F773-4E23-89EF-C84FC3C63F27.jpeg

There was one tire that was in “held” status according to UPS due to a world health crisis. At this time I hadn’t taken delivery of my Jeep yet so it wasn’t an issue. Then I got the call to pick her up and only having 4 tires. Since I had already planned on taking the wheels and tires off I didn’t want to put a bunch of miles on them to begin with so I had hoped to install them right away. Now I had to wait. Still getting UPS deliveries every day I had wondered if my tire was just lost so I reached out to try and get another one and was told that it was being held and they can’t send another until it is marked as lost. so out of patience and really wanting to put the wheels and tires on I decided to put my 4 wheels and tires on and pull one of the stock tires for my spare so the wheels all matched. Now I’m not burning tread on tires I’m not keeping and everything matches minus the Read spare tire... that next day I got my winch delivered and some Baja design lights and I spoke with the driver for a good 15 minutes and asked him about my tire he took a pic of my tracking info said he would talk to his boss and get back with me.. that very next day 5th tire delivered :clap: now I need to get my spare tire on so I’m 100% matching... that’s what I get for not having patience. Lol

C70FFCA5-588C-4DCB-8EC6-D519A97178CE.jpeg

327A1BC4-C7B8-4F74-8EAE-E866067C9772.jpeg

Here is a good shot of my impatience :CWL:

C2DD1FA0-A61E-49A4-9FAD-ED183C192CC5.jpeg

All in all I think the wheels and tires look great. I can’t wait to actually get out and really test these tires out. I am really amazed how quiet they are.

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I received my JL sliders/steps but had some damage on them. I wasn’t really upset because stuff happens but the response from the company has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I have tried contacting them to get an update the last two days just to get an update and nothing. Funny thing is when I first emailed them my phone defaulted from a different email from the one I ordered from I got a response with in 24hrs saying they had no record of my email. When I followed up with my other email account 2seperate times and crickets.

62EBA244-3CA6-47A9-BA80-060A5B84AD88.jpeg
91D248D8-960A-415A-B267-710019FE373D.jpeg
F112D43B-AE54-4282-9815-BE92D9A521A1.jpeg

Both the steps and brackets were shipped in separate boxes both were wrapped very tightly and had zero damage to the wrapping. Again I wasn’t upset and if the company would have just sent me a can of spray and apologized then I would have had zero issues but their response and now lack of communication really sucks. Not sure what I will do now but wait, maybe contact my CC company. Anyone run into this problem before?

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel, 2019 F350 diesel, 2018 Can Am x3, 2013 Prius plug in
Occupation
Transportation
So I know every Jeep and Jeep Owner has a story as to how they got here. I figured I would start there with my build. This is a build near and dear to my heart.

Most Stories like this start off falling in love with Jeeps at a very early age. Daydreaming of one day owning one of the most iconic American made off-road machines. Building Jeeps before they could drive and owning five, six, even seven different Jeeps.

My story is not like this at all. Growing up I was into sports I played everything from baseball, football, and basketball. Once I was old enough to start getting into cars low riders and the pre-fast n’ the furious phase started coming along. I was into fast cars, low riders and even Honda’s. Never did I have an itch for offroading/Overlanding or even Jeeping.

My interest and love for Jeeps didn’t begin until I was in my mid 20’s. My son was born with a congenital heart defect that required him to have three major heart surgeries when he was six months, 18 months and three years old. My son is the most important person in my life and at that time and I knew that I wanted to be as close to him as possible.

When Julian was a baby we spent a lot of time at his grandparents’ house. His grandfather had an old CJ in his garage and Just bought another CJ. I never understood the reasoning behind it at the time. According to him, his current CJ was full of body rust and his new one was rust free. OK, I thought. Not my thing but whatever. Julian, on the other hand, loved both of those Jeeps and would spend hours playing inside them with his cars not wanting to get out. Seeing his face light up was truly something special. He LOVED those two Jeeps. We would spend several nights camping in Big Bear, Anza Borrego and during the day Julian’s eyes would light up once it was time to hit the trails. Looking back and seeing his face bounce up and down with the biggest smile on his face, I knew right then and there I needed a Jeep of my own. As he got older he would ask me about getting a Jeep and going Jeepin with grandpa. I had made a promise to him that I would get one for us.

At the time I was still in the Navy and didn’t have the most income. So instead of keeping my promises, I had to settle for what was best for the family. Family sedans and hand me down cars. Over the years I know Julian lost faith in us having a Jeep. Now married and with two more boys it seemed impossible, but all good things come to those who wait right? Once the JL was announced I stalked the forums gathering as much info and going through thousands of pictures, modifications and builds and I knew that would be my next ride. Then came the announcement of the 3.0l ecodiesel with an estimated 30mpg’s. Now I never had faith in 30mpg’s but as time went on that number actually seemed very much attainable. I thought I have always wanted a diesel and for the last 12 years I have lusted for a Jeep, why not make my first ever Jeep the first North American production Wrangler with a diesel engine. Now I wait. There were several rumors swirling around that time, the diesel will come, late 18-year model, then it would be a 19-year model. I waited and waited patiently still stalking the forums and still reading everything there was about the JL. Then came the announcement, the ecodiesel will be at dealers by the end of 2019. It took another week or two but then order banks opened and immediately I went down to one of the local dealers that were willing to work with me and got my first Jeep order in.

Finally, After 5+ beer days of waiting, we took delivery of our very first Jeep. The best part of the delivery was having my 14-year old by my side and there for the very first ride. (And stupid me I didn't get a pic of us) :headbang:
I truly did enjoy your story, my uncle owned a '97 then went and bought a 2002 (last year), it seemed pointless to me as I was unfamiliar with Jeeps, one weekend they brought both Jeeps (his boys are in the early 20's) and we took a night ride, the next morning we went to a farm early in the morning then came back home then my 15 year old said "I love that we have Jeeps in the family" and every time the boys come over they take little short rides, I then made up my mind to buy a Jeep and let go of the idea of a Tesla, good thing my wife was also on board as it would be her primary vehicle (she did not like my Tesla idea to begin with). Watching my uncle bond with is 2 boys on Jeep stuff and then those 2 young guns bond with my 15 year old daughter and my 12 year old boy made me feel like wanting to be part of it, on top of that we would own a vehicle that never gets old and can wrench on it into infinity, I was SOLD.
Look forward to seeing a picture of you and your oldest wheeling.

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transportation
During my long wait I went through several phases of wheels I had ordered a set of ProComps and after having them for about a month I didn’t think the color was going to match well then it was a Toss up between black rhino arsnenol and the Icon Rebounds. I ended up choosing the Icons.

058F631B-E219-4E99-B743-989449AEEADF.jpeg

I was also having the same internal debate with the milestar’s and the Toyo’s. I couldn’t beat the deal I got on the milestars so I ordered them as well. Wheels and tires arrived except 1 tire..

A83CE016-F773-4E23-89EF-C84FC3C63F27.jpeg

There was one tire that was in “held” status according to UPS due to a world health crisis. At this time I hadn’t taken delivery of my Jeep yet so it wasn’t an issue. Then I got the call to pick her up and only having 4 tires. Since I had already planned on taking the wheels and tires off I didn’t want to put a bunch of miles on them to begin with so I had hoped to install them right away. Now I had to wait. Still getting UPS deliveries every day I had wondered if my tire was just lost so I reached out to try and get another one and was told that it was being held and they can’t send another until it is marked as lost. so out of patience and really wanting to put the wheels and tires on I decided to put my 4 wheels and tires on and pull one of the stock tires for my spare so the wheels all matched. Now I’m not burning tread on tires I’m not keeping and everything matches minus the Read spare tire... that next day I got my winch delivered and some Baja design lights and I spoke with the driver for a good 15 minutes and asked him about my tire he took a pic of my tracking info said he would talk to his boss and get back with me.. that very next day 5th tire delivered :clap: now I need to get my spare tire on so I’m 100% matching... that’s what I get for not having patience. Lol

C70FFCA5-588C-4DCB-8EC6-D519A97178CE.jpeg

327A1BC4-C7B8-4F74-8EAE-E866067C9772.jpeg

Here is a good shot of my impatience :CWL:

C2DD1FA0-A61E-49A4-9FAD-ED183C192CC5.jpeg

All in all I think the wheels and tires look great. I can’t wait to actually get out and really test these tires out. I am really amazed how quiet they are.

Whats the wheel and tire size combo that you went with? I am a week or 2 away from receiving the jeep so I think it is time to start with the wheel and tire set up, I most likely will stay at 35's, then maybe later move to 37's but not sure when, so I think an 18" wheel would look good on both tire sizes, what do you think ?

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Whats the wheel and tire size combo that you went with? I am a week or 2 away from receiving the jeep so I think it is time to start with the wheel and tire set up, I most likely will stay at 35's, then maybe later move to 37's but not sure when, so I think an 18" wheel would look good on both tire sizes, what do you think ?
The wheels are 17x8.5 Tires are (315x70R17) Milestars website refers to them as 35’s but they sure don’t measure 35” I love the look and feel of them. They are not noisy or rough on the drive. The little time I have behind the wheel so far, it sure has been a pleasure

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I truly did enjoy your story, my uncle owned a '97 then went and bought a 2002 (last year), it seemed pointless to me as I was unfamiliar with Jeeps, one weekend they brought both Jeeps (his boys are in the early 20's) and we took a night ride, the next morning we went to a farm early in the morning then came back home then my 15 year old said "I love that we have Jeeps in the family" and every time the boys come over they take little short rides, I then made up my mind to buy a Jeep and let go of the idea of a Tesla, good thing my wife was also on board as it would be her primary vehicle (she did not like my Tesla idea to begin with). Watching my uncle bond with is 2 boys on Jeep stuff and then those 2 young guns bond with my 15 year old daughter and my 12 year old boy made me feel like wanting to be part of it, on top of that we would own a vehicle that never gets old and can wrench on it into infinity, I was SOLD.
Look forward to seeing a picture of you and your oldest wheeling.

That is Another great story too. Love it! My 2 and 4 year olds are in love with the Jeep they want to play in it everyday :LOL:

they are dying to take it off road. The 2 year old got his first taste behind the wheel today :like:

76DCD56B-B0FC-4C5A-97F7-2357636FCF46.jpeg

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Meanwhile I still have these sliders/steps in my garage. I have tried contacting the company 2 more times this last week and still no response. I am really starting to lose my patience.

on a more positive note. I have my winch ready to go, but who knew you needed a winch plate to mount this thing. Apparently they don’t come with the winch :CWL: you would think after all these builds I have read I would have caught that... Nope. I ordered one from rugged ridge and should arrive Monday so hopefully by Tuesday I’ll have this bad boy on

6B6F9BC6-A58D-4234-AF90-1325E529ECD4.jpeg

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transportation
The wheels are 17x8.5 Tires are (315x70R17) Milestars website refers to them as 35’s but they sure don’t measure 35” I love the look and feel of them. They are not noisy or rough on the drive. The little time I have behind the wheel so far, it sure has been a pleasure
Hey Joe, I am also new to the build of a Jeep, do you happen to have any idea what the backspacing and the offset numbers should be at?

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transportation
Meanwhile I still have these sliders/steps in my garage. I have tried contacting the company 2 more times this last week and still no response. I am really starting to lose my patience.

on a more positive note. I have my winch ready to go, but who knew you needed a winch plate to mount this thing. Apparently they don’t come with the winch :CWL: you would think after all these builds I have read I would have caught that... Nope. I ordered one from rugged ridge and should arrive Monday so hopefully by Tuesday I’ll have this bad boy on

6B6F9BC6-A58D-4234-AF90-1325E529ECD4.jpeg
You seem to have prepared for this stay at home order pretty well, mine should be arriving soon, but I am afraid I dont have anything to add to it anytime soon due to this pandemic and the wife has put my expending card on hold LOL

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You seem to have prepared for this stay at home order pretty well, mine should be arriving soon, but I am afraid I dont have anything to add to it anytime soon due to this pandemic and the wife has put my expending card on hold LOL
I am still holding off on getting my lift kit, my winch plate was suppose to be delivered today but surprise surprise Chula Vista UPS office holding another order of mine. Last time they delivered 4 out of 5 tires then took an extra 2 weeks to deliver the 5th one :swear: so let’s see how long this takes.

luckily my wife has yet to lock my spending down but I’m sure it’s coming soon. Lol
Sponsored