Sponsored

New Stereo Install

bw_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Planning out a stereo upgrade for my 2019 2dr Rubicon. I have the upgraded Alpine and the 8.4" screen. Thoughts/criticisms/suggestions welcome. Likely will get started next week and will share pictures/thoughts as I go. Thanks!

Amp - JL VX1000/5i (100w x 4 and 600w x1)
PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 Aftermarket Amplifier Interface/PAC APA-TOS1
Front Speakers - JL C5-653 (6.5" woofer; 4" mid; .75" tweeter)
Metra speaker pods for the 6.5" front speakers
Soundbar Speakers - JL C2-650x (6.5" woofer; .75" tweeter)
SSV Works 6.5" soundbar adaptors
Subwoofer - JL CS113TG-TW5v2

Per recommendations below adding the DRC-205 and I'll try the JL amp rack and report back on whether it works in the two doors.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Any reason you chose the PAC interface?

OP
OP
bw_jeep

bw_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Any reason you chose the PAC interface?
From everything I've read here that seems to be the easiest way to get clean signals to the amplifier. Am I missing other options?

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a few other options depending on how much you want to spend. Some with DSP, time alignment, and more. I chose the Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 with a wire harness adapter. It sums the inputs and evens the levels, has DSP, Time alignment, 8 outputs, an app, and more. There’s also Audio Control, Helix DSP Pro Mk2, and some others. CarStereoChick has some other adapters mentioned.

https://carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade

There are some aftermarket head units available, Metra has a double din dash kit, the replacement radio has to be a shallow mount.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Planning out a stereo upgrade for my 2019 2dr Rubicon. I have the upgraded Alpine and the 8.4" screen. Thoughts/criticisms/suggestions welcome. Likely will get started next week and will share pictures/thoughts as I go. Thanks!

Amp - JL VX1000/5i (100w x 4 and 600w x1)
PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 Aftermarket Amplifier Interface/PAC APA-TOS1
Front Speakers - JL C5-653 (6.5" woofer; 4" mid; .75" tweeter)
Metra speaker pods for the 6.5" front speakers
Soundbar Speakers - JL C2-650x (6.5" woofer; .75" tweeter)
SSV Works 6.5" soundbar adaptors
Subwoofer - JL CS113TG-TW5v2
Looks good! The PAC is definitely the way to go for ease of install, though @Gaust provided some great built-in options. If you go with the PAC, make sure you set its Jumper settings, and note in the manual how the calibration process works.

The only recommendations I'd offer are:
  • You'll want the DRC-205 volume/profile selector, it gives you a ton of control.
  • Consider getting the JL Audio amp rack that mounts under the passenger seat. It really makes for a clean install.
  • In my experience, it's hard to get good sound out of the soundbar. I've found that a good set of 4-inch speakers sounds as good, if not better, than the larger speakers. As an example, I'm running Audison 5.25's with 100w to the mid-range, and 100w to the tweeter and they sound OK., but not much better than some 4's I installed recently using the exact amp you're using. You can save a little money getting 4's and skipping the SSV - personal preference.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good! The PAC is definitely the way to go for ease of install. Make sure you check the PAC's Jumper settings, and note in the manual how the calibration process works.

The only recommendations I'd offer are:
  • You'll want the DRC-205 volume/profile selector, it gives you a ton of control.
  • Consider getting the JL Audio amp rack that mounts under the passenger seat. It really makes for a clean install.
  • In my experience, it's hard to get good sound out of the soundbar. I've found that a good set of 4-inch speakers sounds as good, if not better, than the larger speakers. As an example, I'm running Audison 5.25's with 100w to the mid-range, and 100w to the tweeter and they sound OK., but not much better than some 4's I installed recently using the exact amp you're using. You can save a little money getting 4's and skipping the SSV - personal preference.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
What 4” speaker did you use and did you use the OEM speaker pod in the front?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What 4” speaker did you use and did you use the OEM speaker pod in the front?
I used the Metra pods on the last build, with JL Audio C5's (6.5-inch Separates). Lined them with sound deadener, and filled them with polyfil. Sound great! We used Hertz' 4's, but the JL C2 coax's would sound good as well.

OP
OP
bw_jeep

bw_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Thanks. Didn’t want to replace the head unit. Will definitely get the DRC-205.
I’ve read that the amp rack doesn’t work on our two doors? Is that incorrect? Was going to put it where the factory sub is but would rather open that space up for storage.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, didn't catch that it was a 2-door. Whatever you do, make sure your amp is safe from water if the top is down and you get rained on.

Sponsored

Gonz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Gym Owner
I'm about to post a very similar thread and document my build, I have a question on your 3-ways: Where do you plan on keeping the external crossover? I'm looking at the Focal PS-165F3 for up front, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll keep the crossovers. Perhaps under the driver seat?

BIGRIGMCGEE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I'm about to post a very similar thread and document my build, I have a question on your 3-ways: Where do you plan on keeping the external crossover? I'm looking at the Focal PS-165F3 for up front, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll keep the crossovers. Perhaps under the driver seat?
Looking at the same issue of where to mount the front crossovers... What route did you end up going?

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I believe the JL VX series have a DSP built in. You can use their "TUN" app got do the tuning. I am using a VX 600.6 for there front stage, bridging two of the channels for the mids. Using a VX 600.1 for the sub. Tie them together with fiber optic cable,

Gonz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Gym Owner
Looking at the same issue of where to mount the front crossovers... What route did you end up going?
I just did the driver side today, I mounted it to the side of the speaker pod, pics below. The pod barely fits in there, it was a pain in the ass to get in and out. What I had to do was pre-drill the holes to mount the crossover, then get the pod in place, then get all the wires into the crossover then use a short stubby screwdriver to attach it to the pod with the pod in place.
IMG_8658.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG
Sponsored