Sponsored

Lag in stereo starting?

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I currently have the crappy 5" screen model. When turning on the jeep it takes a solid 10 to 15 seconds before I can even turn down the volume. To connect my phone I bet we're pushing close to a minute before bluetooth connects. I'm wondering is this the same for the 7" and 8.4" head units?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm wondering is this the same for the 7" and 8.4" head units?
My 7" responds to controls right away and my phone connects within seconds.

OP
OP
crackrk

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
My 7" responds to controls right away and my phone connects within seconds.
Good to know. Thanks. Anyone else can confirm? If that’s the case I’m for sure going to look into getting the 7” system at least. This 5” is really horrible

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Good to know. Thanks. Anyone else can confirm? If that’s the case I’m for sure going to look into getting the 7” system at least. This 5” is really horrible
There are times that my 8,4 premium system will take about 10 seconds to load up. But wait there is more..... also during this time, I can not adjust temperature, turn on heated seats, or the heated steering wheel. Or access anything that runs through the information center. This includes the buttons on the dash for any of the climate controls. It seems to happen after I have parked in the garage or during the first start up of the day. It is not an every time I start the Jeep thing.

To me it is only about 10 seconds which can seem like for ever if I turned the Jeep off with the stereo up loud.

Truly a 1st world problem for me though.

OP
OP
crackrk

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
To me it is only about 10 seconds which can seem like for ever if I turned the Jeep off with the stereo up loud.
This is exactly the issue that my wife is not happy about. I drive the jeep, jamming out to tunes at a higher volume over Bluetooth. Park the Jeep. She gets in the jeep and it automatically flips over to radio and it’s SUPER LOUD. It also bugs me, but not as much as it bothers her.

Sponsored

Coastie6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2-Door
I currently have the crappy 5" screen model. When turning on the jeep it takes a solid 10 to 15 seconds before I can even turn down the volume. To connect my phone I bet we're pushing close to a minute before bluetooth connects. I'm wondering is this the same for the 7" and 8.4" head units?
Same with our 5". Not a huge issue but . . . . Figure its just a "Jeep thing" ;)

I know, we didn't pay for the premium audio system. We don't buy vehicles for their audio systems, and I'm not talking about sound quality here. But, it would be nice if the system worked as intended. Hell, the system in my 2-year old 4Runner is way better and people on the T4R forum bitch about them being "the worst"! They must not have a JL with the 5". Truthfully, the thing I hate the most about this radio is that at a minimum there is no clock display when the radio is off?? Seems like something radios have done since the early 80's. And yes, I know I can mute the radio. Really?? Seems stupid to me, but so does ESS and push button start. Anyhow, as Wibornz said "1st world problem". So far, love the handling, comfort and soft top of JL compared to the other Jeeps we've owned. But yes, this 5" audio system leaves a lot to be desired.

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I have the basic UC3 w/ 5” screen and it does the same thing. It is incredibly annoying. It is the only thing that I hate about getting into my new Wrangler.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Has anyone found a fix for this?
Turning off the stereo before shutting off the Jeep. Being a Floridian, I also notice that the A/C blower setting takes a while before becoming responsive as well.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yeah it is not just the volume but all dash controls take 10-30 seconds to work.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Just bumping this thread as I cannot find what is the route cause of this issue.

Every time I start my JLR (8.4”) the volume control, aircon, park sensor button, ESS button and hill decent does not work for at least 30sec+.

After about 30Sec the volume control and mentioned buttons work with the exception of the hill decent button (Yes, I am in 4L when trying the HDC) the HDC button does nothing when you press it, no light, no message popping up, etc.

I have a Tazer JL Mini installed and upgraded it to the latest firmware version (Yes, I followed the correct Tazer installation instructions, and I doubt it is the Tazer).

Any suggestions how to fix this issue will be highly appreciated, thanks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I remember back in 1992, my computer took 6 minutes to boot up and another 4 or 5 minutes to get on the web.

I understand the frustration with the radio. The funny thing is the radio controls on the dash will not work, but the radio controls on the steering wheel will still turn down the volume.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Every time I start my JLR (8.4”) the volume control, aircon, park sensor button, ESS button and hill decent does not work for at least 30sec+.

After about 30Sec the volume control and mentioned buttons work with the exception of the hill decent button (Yes, I am in 4L when trying the HDC) the HDC button does nothing when you press it, no light, no message popping up, etc.
First, I want to clearly state that you do NOT have a 5" screen (as you mentioned), so what I say to you is unlikely to apply to those who have the issue with 5" radios.

Your combination of symptoms makes some sense to me. All the items in the center of the front console are wired up together and communicate with the rest of the vehicle via through a single CAN bus connection and are multiplexed through the a single CAN bus ID (an ID of 2D3 on the CAN-IHS bus, to be specific). If it that front dash component had a malfunction, it could prevent lower priority components from working until your ECU eventually identified and worked around the issue.

I'm both extrapolating and hypothesizing here, but when it comes to it's electronic components, I've seen the Wrangler exercise an ability to sense something is wrong after a short period of time and then to disable the faulty component or to work around it. If there was a problem with the Descent control button itself, I could see it causing the problems you mention until the vehicle identifies the problem, at which point it disables the traction control button, which causes everything (but the faulted button) to work normally again.

The following things may be worth trying:

1. The next time you are having this problem, as it is happening, quickly jab the traction control button firmly a few times and see if that has a positive or negative effect. (It may not.)

2. If you can predict when the problem will happen (or if it happens frequently enough), use an auto-trim puller tool, pull that whole center module out of your dash, unplug it, and leave it unplugged as you snap it back into place. Run with it that was as long as you can (using the radio controls on your steering wheel and on the uConnect radio itself). If the problem never returns, plug it back in, wait for a while, and see if the problem come back. If the problem follows when this module is unplugged and when it's plugged back in, you know what the problem likely is.

3. If you've got money to burn, just replace the module and see if a fresh new one takes care of the issue or not.

4. If you've got any remaining warranty which covers thill decent control, get this serviced as a potential traction control issue. Tell them that a mechanic friend looked at it and suspected the fault was in the button and not with the main decent control system itself.

5. If you have a device which can read stored codes that HAVE NOT activated a check engine light, use that. That would be either Jscan, or if you've got a Tazer, update to the latest version of the Tazer firmware and using the DTC Read function, cycle down module by module, waiting, and then seeing if they report back with an error. This sounds exactly like the kind of thing that the Jeep's computer may or may not store a code for, but it certainly wouldn't be activating a check engine light over a faulty button.

Hope this helps, if you follow some of these suggestions, let me know how it turns out, okay?

Last edited:

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I understand the frustration with the radio. The funny thing is the radio controls on the dash will not work, but the radio controls on the steering wheel will still turn down the volume.
This tells me something. You've got an 8.4" radio, but you've got something different going on than the last problem I just addressed. I hope I'll be able to keep these straight!

For front dash controls have an indirect connection to the uConnect radio by way of the CAN-IHS bus. I believe that bus works more on a priority level where a high priority device that has a lot of operations to perform (or is just plain malfunctioning) can lock out lower priority device (until they're done using the bus or the Jeep's computer decides they're malfunctioning and shuts them up).

The reason why your steering wheel controls would still work in that situation is that the steering wheel itself (and all the buttons on it) has an indrect connect to the uConnect radio by way of the CAN-IHS bus *and* the CAN-C bus. It sends all of it's messages over both paths.

What this means is that you've either got a soft malfunction of the CAN-IHS bus (or a device on that bus), or a device on that bus has decided to become ultra-talkative for a limited period of time after the vehicle first turns on. If I had to bet one way or another, I'd bet malfunction.

Do you have a tazer? If so, upgrade it to the latest Tazer firmware, connect it back to your Wrangler, and use the "READ DTCs" function to slowly scroll down through all your modules to see if any of them have any errors. If so, write them down, look them up, let me know. If you've got JScan, do the "Advanced Scan" option (right hand side) and let me know what codes you have.

If you have no relevant codes, the only way I could diagnose a heavy talker on the CAN-IHS bus is to see the vehicle in person or do some sort of remote diagnosis (if you're really motivated ienough to buy a Raspberry Pi, Waveshare CAN HAT, and Jeep CAN connectors).

Of course, with any problem, it could also turn out to be something wildly different. Let me know.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Thank you for the detailed info jmccorm, I really appreciate it.

I did some checks earlier today and found:

1. All the buttons on the control unit below the touch screen is dead until about 30 seconds, then they all activate to their functional state.
2. If I start the Jeep the second time after say about 10 to 15 minutes then there is no 30 second delay and all the buttons function fine, even the hill decent is working as it should in 4L.
3. The problem seems to only emerge when the Jeep stood for a while. More than an hour or over night.
Sponsored