Sponsored

Making functional Hood Vents....maybe?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The final thing I did recently was swap the JL grill mesh with the JT mesh. I noticed probably the biggest difference. I am sure it could be the combination of the two, but now I see temps in the 192-195 range.
I'm not sure what the JL's factory thermostat is, but the JK was 203° and I would be willing to bet the JL is the same. Either your thermostat is broken, or your gauge is off if coolant temperatures level out at 192-195.

Without doing a full analysis of the hood and engine compartment designs it's hard to tell if improvements can be made.
That said, with the design of the stock hood, ducting to the intake to the current "vents" likely isn't going to work well at all. Based on their shape/placement there should be a low pressure zone which will draw air out. Obviously if you're hooking it up to the intake you want air coming in, not going out.
They should be able to be adapted as heat extractors which I suspect should work pretty well. I'd design duct or deflector to prevent excess water from getting on the engine (shouldn't be too difficult). The questions then become, is the fan efficiency designed to work with a "lid" as Tony mentioned, and is there room beneath the hood for the duct/deflector?
I think it could be done, and it likely wouldn't cost a lot to make it plausible as a heat extractor. Unfortunately the Sahara doesn't come with that hood, and I haven't found one cheap. If someone wants to donate one, I'll be more than happy to develop and test a way to make the vents functional.
Alright, who's going to test it?

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what the JL's factory thermostat is, but the JK was 203° and I would be willing to bet the JL is the same. Either your thermostat is broken, or your gauge is off if coolant temperatures level out at 192-195.

That I don't know. I just know from all the vehicles I have every owned, I have never seen such variation on temps that I get from this JL. I would hope that it isn't a bad thermostat, but sometimes defective parts are manufactured. I have been following what the gauge is reading to me since new and it always had temperatures ranging from 215-240. 230-240 climbing moderate hills to actual grades at highway speed whether its 70 out or 25 degrees. 215-225 casually cruising around. What kills me is the meter never moves. From what I read on the forums it's normal and with operating temps. But I have read quite an interesting variance from other owners on the threads. My main worry is about the trips to desert when the temps are far above where I live. The few things I have done I feel make the change for the better in regards to the consistency on what the gauge tells me. I see more of a 195-205. It still gets up to the higher temps on hills and such, but it cools down faster. Perhaps it's better just to ignore it, and hope that the meter will move if the temps get too extreme.

Sponsored

EQ_JLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I like these but I'm not seeing any photos of the underside of the hood with these installed. I'm not a fan of water just dumping on the motor. I emailed them for more info.
Yeah, as far as I can tell it’s wide open underneath... they look cool but kind of pricey in my opinion

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I like these but I'm not seeing any photos of the underside of the hood with these installed. I'm not a fan of water just dumping on the motor. I emailed them for more info.

Update: this is a very incomplete idea IMO. I asked about water control. They said, replacing hood liner was an option. LOL you'd lose the air flow. Or said as another option, I could make a panel to cover the battery area, but they had no issues and been making hood louvers for years, haha right.
Valkyrie Off Road Gearhood vents.jpeg
I'm sure all the wiring & plastic is UV rated too... /s

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Don't you think that the ENGINEERS figured the engine construction and (TEMP OPS) with the hood configuration AS IS ???
I am a Cooling Geek. I have overclocked virtually every CPU I've owned. I've used every source of cooling I could get my hands on (from massive heat sinks and fans to Peltier dynamics), just to eek out a few more MHZ. That said, for all this massive cooling, I have also had CPUs that would simply overheat for lack of having a case shroud. Do I think Jeep Engineers have constructed a hood with thermal dynamics in mind? Absolutely. Are there some gains to be made by an open-vent mod? Absolutely. Water intrusion is a non issue.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I am a Cooling Geek. I have overclocked virtually every CPU I've owned. I've used every source of cooling I could get my hands on (from massive heat sinks and fans to Peltier dynamics), just to eek out a few more MHZ. That said, for all this massive cooling, I have also had CPUs that would simply overheat for lack of having a case shroud. Do I think Jeep Engineers have constructed a hood with thermal dynamics in mind? Absolutely. Are there some gains to be made by an open-vent mod? Absolutely. Water intrusion is a non issue.
How is water intrusion a non issue? Been trying to get that answered for a while.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I am currently running a functional louver on my Rubicon. I have been through multiple real world, down pours and car washings, and have experienced nothing more than a few water spots on my engine shroud. I am not suggesting you run hood-Less.

Do you ever wash your engine? As long as you avoid electrical components and intake, you will be fine.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Would Frogskins work to keep water/debris out? Came across these on forum discussing wiring up an ARB compressor inside a Leitner box. Looks like people vent snowmobile hoods with them...
Jeep Wrangler JL Making functional Hood Vents....maybe? 56ABD305-E1B9-457D-8A64-34320D433161

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I am currently running a functional louver on my Rubicon. I have been through multiple real world, down pours and car washings, and have experienced nothing more than a few water spots on my engine shroud. I am not suggesting you run hood-Less.

Do you ever wash your engine? As long as you avoid electrical components and intake, you will be fine.
I never spray water into the engine bay, but I do dry clean it I guess you would say. And my main concern with open vents on the Rubi hood is that the passenger side vent sits right over the battery and fuses and other electrical stuff. Almost considering making the driver vent functional but not the passenger side.
Sponsored