Sahara grille inserts (painting different color)

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Would any of you guys that have a fog bezel loose take a pic of the back? I have heard that the OEM Rubicon and Sahara bezel paint codes are on the back and I'm looking for those paint codes. Could be BS, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

Update: Took mine off and the label said "fine silver" but I could not find a paint code for that and the dealer was not able to help. Still on the hunt.....

I bought the Mopar ones mentioned here and the same label said "service primer".

Last edited:

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the unpainted Mopar grill inserts for $130 ... didn't paint them ..... look awesome.

20180608_173015.jpg
Do you know if the inserts would fit into a sport s grill? was the install as simple as removing the grill and inserting behind the grill?

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
Do you know if the inserts would fit into a sport s grill? was the install as simple as removing the grill and inserting behind the grill?
I do not believe that they fit in a sport grill. It was pretty easy on the Sahara grill.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Just plastidipped my grille inserts and bumper inserts, really like the look now and will see how long the dip lasts, may have to paint it later.

26807091-2237-4F25-B16C-014ECB14D904.jpeg

EA3301B0-E471-4265-98E9-0D4440FD697B.jpeg
So how is the plastidip holding up? I'm trying to decide between the $10 can of dip or $100 for unpainted insert.
Also, how hard to remove the grill?
thanks.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I do not believe that they fit in a sport grill. It was pretty easy on the Sahara grill.
Thats what Im trying to figure out. A Mopar parts site lists the part number as 6cg99tzzac and under vehicle fitment it lists the sport sport s, Sahara and rubicon.

I'm taking my jeep in this weekend to have the LED headlights installed I guess I can ask the service dept if they would know for certain?

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
So how is the plastidip holding up? I'm trying to decide between the $10 can of dip or $100 for unpainted insert.
Also, how hard to remove the grill?
thanks.
Removing the grill is difficult but not too bad, plenty of YouTube tutorials out there including a @Quadratec one. The dip seems to be holding up very well, and I washed it almost every weekend all summer. We will see how it holds up to the snow, ice, and salt this winter however.

Deion865

First Name
Deion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Everybody’s is looking so good!!

I just switched my silver inserts for the black ones...if anybody’s interested in buying my old set for whatever reason let me know.

kennware

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.0 Ocean Blue Metallic
Looking to blacken out the silver bits around the fog lights on my euro/UK spec JL. They're a different shape and set up to the US ones you guys get - see below. Any ideas on how I could/would go about this? Or thoughts on if it'll improve the look painting them black... Cheers! P.S. I know the euro bumper is horrid, but hope to get this done whilst I've still got it (saving for aftermarket solution!).

16e4c2ee-jeep-wrangler-30-jpg.jpg

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Does anyone know what color the Rubicon insert have? It's something of a dark gray or dark granite look but unsure.

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited High Altitude
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
Hello everyone. Has anyone done this to an ocean blue Sahara? If you have, would you mind sharing pics of before and after? Thank you in advance.

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
This thread has been super helpful. I have never liked the silver accents on my Sahara. I considered painting, but I don't want to have to deal with chips or touch ups later on down the line. So opted to purchase new OE black unpainted grill inserts + bezel inserts. I have found a number of video's and explainers to change out the grill inserts, but haven't found any that walk through the bezel change. Anyone have a link... or perhaps I missed a link in this or another thread.

Thanks in advance for any help~

https://www.justforjeeps.com/6cg99tzzac.html
https://www.justforjeeps.com/6bu58tzzaa-6bu59tzzaa.html

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Did you use plasti-dip and how does it look in person.
Okay well I just upgraded to a Rubi front bumper today so that took care of the bezels and I'm def painting the grill now. That looks legit. Well done.

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
Thanks to NC Jeeper for setting me up with awesome info. I painted my inserts today and he found the best match for the Rubicon gray that I have seen. Came out awesome. This is a sport that I put a Sahara bumper on and now I threw on the red hooks and painted the bezels. (I took the bumper off the take the bezels out.

B9F6AD00-F5C8-4213-9DD3-A7E20ACEF7B4.jpeg

7523A987-4779-446B-928B-69968B06EE48.jpeg

mbartelt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I just wanted to add, I lurked on this forum for a few months and this thread compelled me to do the same. At first I didn't mind the silver, but seeing how much black was already on the vehicle, I knew I would like a blacked out look much better and I was right.

I ended up buying a new black plastic grill insert for $100 so if I ever sell the vehicle, I could pass it to the next owner in case they wanted to revert it.

I also got the black plastic lock covers and plan to black out the badging.

2020-04-16 06.58.32.jpg

2020-04-16 14.28.39.jpg