Sponsored

Battery Reconnect Help - Spark On Negative

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Disconnected battery to change the dash out. When trying to reconnect, the neg side is sparking when I try to connect it. What's up?

No matter what I do - I get sparks ...

* Hook POS up, then NEG to Post - Spark
* Hook POS up, then NEG to NEG (ESS Battery) - Spark
* Try to touch Neg to ESS Battery cable - Spark

I don't get it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
You connected the hot, and, the ground sparks when you hook it back up? I am understanding you correctly?

OP
OP
Nikko2020

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but what's the correct order since I have 1 positive and two negatives?

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Poitive then negative.

The sprking? Something is drawing power. Something turned on. (Lights radio alarm etc) and is drawing from the battery.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's normal for the negative cable to spark a little when hooking the cable back up to the battery, assuming the positive cable is already attached.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nikko2020

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got the positive and neg part. There are two parts to the neg since one is the back up battery. Do I connect the positive then the two neg together and then to the battery? Or do I connect the two neg cables together before I connect the positive?

Or does it matter?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the positive and neg part. There are two parts to the neg since one is the back up battery. Do I connect the positive then the two neg together and then to the battery? Or do I connect the two neg cables together before I connect the positive?

Or does it matter?
As long as the positive is connected first, then connect your negative cables together and then connect them to battery.

Sorry, I don't have the backup battery on my 2.0T, but the process is the same. Until you connect the negative cable(s) to the negative post(s), no electricity is flowing from the battery.

I reconnect my battery the same way as if I were try to jump start a car....positive first and then negative.

OP
OP
Nikko2020

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Anyway I do it - big spark. Connect positive first and then either one of the neg and it sparks. Whether I try to connect the two neg or neg to post, doesn't matter. WTF

What about the grounds to the fender? What are those for?

Got her going - thanks to everyone for the help!

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I feel a little guilty doing this, but I'm wondering if @Jebiruph has any idea?

I recently replaced my auxillary battery, and when I reconnected the positive cable from the PDC to the positive terminal of the main battery, I experienced a pretty significant spark and I heard what sounded like a relay click inside the PDC. I believe the cable from the negative of the auxillary battery was still completely disconnected from everything at this time, but i can't be certain anymore. i never experienced anything like that before and I was literally shaking, i thought I somehow fried my jeep (everything is working fine).

caleb_m00re

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Build Thread
Link
I. Minimized the spark by attaching the main negative lead first and then the secondary ground had no sparking. this felt much more right and everything is back to working fine for me

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I feel a little guilty doing this, but I'm wondering if @Jebiruph has any idea?

I recently replaced my auxillary battery, and when I reconnected the positive cable from the PDC to the positive terminal of the main battery, I experienced a pretty significant spark and I heard what sounded like a relay click inside the PDC. I believe the cable from the negative of the auxillary battery was still completely disconnected from everything at this time, but i can't be certain anymore. i never experienced anything like that before and I was literally shaking, i thought I somehow fried my jeep (everything is working fine).
Mine does it too. It's disconcerting, but I don't think it's a problem. I've definitely never seen that much sparking when making the final connection to the battery.

OP
OP
Nikko2020

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just as a follow up since others have had the same issue. I had a guy tell me to let it sit for a few hours and let the system go to sleep before hooking it back up. I followed his advice and had no issues at all after that.
Sponsored