Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Quick post on my experience changing out the silver trim on the Sahara grill and fog light bezels.

Total tome was about 1 hour 15 min.

Fog Light Bezels:
I was able to replace by taking out 3 clips in the back. Made it very simple.
?temp_hash=4f37ea5806e360e61956f6f433ec90bb.jpg

Then use a 7MM socket to loosen the screw holding on the outside corner of the bezel.

Then I used panel pry tools to pull out the bezel. Once you pull out the bezel you need to remove the nut insert and put on the new bezel. Here is where it is located. Forgot to grad a pic while it was still there. Just use needle nose pliers to squeeze the end and it comes right out.

Installing the Grill Inserts:

I did not grab many pictures but just take it slow and be carfull. There are a lot of clips and tabs to get the entire grill apart.

When pulling the grill off the jeep slowly work the clips off. Don’t rush or you risk cracking the grill.

Once the grill was pulled out I made the mistake of placing it on some cardboard on the ground and scratched up the front of the grill on the vertical slots. Sooo annoying. I think they will buff out but did not get a chance to do that yet.

Before and after:

Hope this help. Any questions let me know!

39963E51-46BF-413A-80AD-698C473656F4.jpeg

219C6CE0-BBB9-4AEC-87FD-EFCBABEC6F8D.jpeg

1AC58D65-652C-421A-AC41-CA30DEB730A8.jpeg

CAA8C08E-2716-4F8D-803C-59C527C6C04F.jpeg

A0723309-8C01-47FE-BB8B-30F5E0DEA09B.jpeg

6BF389DB-CD7B-4767-83B3-1DC5919DC399.jpeg
Sponsored

VFL865

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara
Did you paint the replacement bezels or did they come this color? I can’t tell if the unpainted bezels match the factory bumper, yes I’m colorblind lol.

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint the replacement bezels or did they come this color? I can’t tell if the unpainted bezels match the factory bumper, yes I’m colorblind lol.
I did not paint them. The way they come they match really good.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Are those not the same as the Rubicon ones? They look more black.

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jwmmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl
Did you sell your Silver pieces? I am looking for a set.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Did you sell your Silver pieces? I am looking for a set.
I've got the silver grill pieces if you're interested. Unfortunately, my silver bumper trim was damaged, so I had to toss it.

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have the grill pieces but also damaged one of the bumper pieces getting it off.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Thanks for this post, exactly what I needed to see. I’m going to plastidip my grill inserts and bezels. Appreciate the how to remove the bezels!

Sponsored

k_griffs

First Name
Kyran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Great info! Do you by any chance have the Mopar part numbers of the fog light inserts and grill/headlight inserts needed to make this swap?

ECHOPLEX

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Trim Bezel - Mopar (6BU59TZZAA)

Trim Bezel - Mopar (6BU58TZZAA)

Trim Panel Assembly - Mopar (6CG99TZZAC)

Note there are two distinct part numbers for the fog fight bezels (left and right side).
Grill/headlight has three sections under the one part number.

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Super helpful thread. Ive just ordered by the grill insert and the new bezels. So Ill be hoping to take this on next weekend~

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Like I said, this thread was super helpful! I took out all 4 of the plastic shield plugs on the bumper to get to the Fog Bezel. It did make it easier as you have to bend it back if you only take out the 3. Thankfully, I had ordered new OEM bezels and grill inserts as I did crack both bezels prying them out.

IMG_9977.jpg

That being said, the process was so much easier with the tip from this thread than from others. You definitely don't have to take out the full bumper cover to get to these. That would have been far more work!

IMG_9978.jpg

After having swapped out the fog bezels. That already makes such a difference. What I never liked about the silver inserts is how it changes the focus of the front to the outside of the bumper edge vs the focus on the iconic Jeep O|||||||O 7 slot grill~

IMG_9979.jpg

Taking the grill out is a little bit of a mind bend... It bends and makes you worry that it could crack. Especially since I did crack both bezels removing. I just took extra time and you can feel each clip disengaging.

IMG_9980.jpg

I took a couple photos of the grill prior to getting started so that if I had any questions as to the various screws, tabs, clips etc I could reference as I put it back together. I was glad I did, because the very last clips at the base of where the grill mesh went in had me scratching my head. It's not complicated, It was just nice to have a reference.

IMG_9981.jpg

All the videos I watched made pulling the insert out look a bit easier than mine. Both the light inserts took a bit of force and twisting to pull out. Again, I just took my time and each came out tab at a time until that f'ugly silver was out!!!

IMG_9982.jpg

As I mentioned, it did take bit of force. A minor battle with one of the tabs and my thumb took a defeat from some stubborn Ohio made plastic! ;)

IMG_9983.jpg

I was super happy upon getting it all back together and seeing the black accents vs the silver. For a while I had contemplated just getting a Mopar satin grill replacement vs changing out the inserts. But I love the granite paint color and am happy I went this route instead as the accents give it a really nice detail while still keeping the continuous paint match theme to my Jeep.

IMG_9984.jpg

Getting the grill back in once you have it all back together was a synch. You simply line it all up and gently press in watching that to tabs up top slowly align as each tab click into place. The pin's go back in super easy also.

IMG_9994.jpg

Man, do I love the look! I really simplifies the front end and gives the Jeep a really classic look while still feeling stock. Ideally, I do want to swap out the bumper to steel... but not yet an expense Im ready to pull the trigger on. This however, was a super inexpensive way to black out the front until Im ready to swap the bumper~

Anyhow - This thread helped me immeasurably. So hoping my additional context may help someone else~

Last edited:

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited High Altitude
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
Like I said, this thread was super helpful! I took out all 4 of the plastic shield plugs on the bumper to get to the Fog Bezel. It did make it easier as you have to bend it back if you only take out the 3. Thankfully, I had ordered new OEM bezels and grill inserts as I did crack both bezels prying them out.

IMG_9977.jpg

That being said, the process was so much easier with the tip from this thread than from others. You definitely don't have to take out the full bumper cover to get to these. That would have been far more work!

IMG_9978.jpg

After having swapped out the fog bezels. That already makes such a difference. What I never liked about the silver inserts is how it changes the focus of the front to the outside of the bumper edge vs the focus on the iconic Jeep O|||||||O 7 slot grill~

IMG_9979.jpg

Taking the grill out is a little bit of a mind bend... It bends and makes you worry that it could crack. Especially since I did crack both bezels removing. I just took extra time and you can feel each clip disengaging.

IMG_9980.jpg

I took a couple photos of the grill prior to getting started so that if I had any questions as to the various screws, tabs, clips etc I could reference as I put it back together. I was glad I did, because the very last clips at the base of where the grill mesh went in had me scratching my head. It's not complicated, It was just nice to have a reference.

IMG_9981.jpg

All the videos I watched made pulling the insert out look a bit easier than mine. Both the light inserts took a bit of force and twisting to pull out. Again, I just took my time and each came out tab at a time until that f'ugly silver was out!!!

IMG_9982.jpg

As I mentioned, it did take bit of force. A minor battle with one of the tabs and my thumb took a defeat from some stubborn Ohio made plastic! ;)

IMG_9983.jpg

I was super happy upon getting it all back together and seeing the black accents vs the silver. For a while I had contemplated just getting a Mopar satin grill replacement vs changing out the inserts. But I love the granite paint color and am happy I went this route instead as the accents give it a really nice detail while still keeping the continuous paint match theme to my Jeep.

IMG_9984.jpg

Getting the grill back in once you have it all back together was a synch. You simply line it all up and gently press in watching that to tabs up top slowly align as each tab click into place. The pin's go back in super easy also.

View attachment 308727
Man, do I love the look! I really simplifies the front end and gives the Jeep a really classic look while still feeling stock. Ideally, I do want to swap out the bumper to steel... but not yet and expense Im ready to pull the trigger on. This however, was a super inexpensive way to black out the front until Im ready to swap the bumper~

Anyhow - This thread helped me immeasurably. So hoping my additional context may help someone else~

View attachment 308720
Thank you for your post and pictures. I must do this to my Sahara ASAP, that silvers gotta go. Thank you and all the others that have posted helpful advice on how to do this. Posting a pic for attention. I’ll post another when I get the silver swapped out. Thanks again.

2BD7728D-3CBF-4E44-A417-18F862A7D8CA.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0