Sponsored

Soft top front latch

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
As I was putting my soft top on this morning, I applied a lot of pressure to get the front latch (driver's side) to close. It made a funny noise as I did so and now, that one is way looser than the passenger side (but nothing seems broken). Did I mess something up, maybe the spring inside? If so, can this be replaced? I went for a drive and there seems to be more wind noise from the driver's side (as if the top isn't secured as well on that side), but maybe that's my imagination.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
As I was putting my soft top on this morning, I applied a lot of pressure to get the front latch (driver's side) to close. It made a funny noise as I did so and now, that one is way looser than the passenger side (but nothing seems broken). Did I mess something up, maybe the spring inside? If so, can this be replaced? I went for a drive and there seems to be more wind noise from the driver's side (as if the top isn't secured as well on that side), but maybe that's my imagination.
Did you unlatch both and relatch it? I would try that first. If no improvement can you latch the passenger side first? On my soft top I always latch the drivers side as it is a little easier than the passenger side.

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Did you unlatch both and relatch it? I would try that first. If no improvement can you latch the passenger side first? On my soft top I always latch the drivers side as it is a little easier than the passenger side.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did all that - the driver's side latch is definitely looser under all combinations (latching first, second, unlatching first, second, etc.)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ca
Thanks for the suggestion. I did all that - the driver's side latch is definitely looser under all combinations (latching first, second, unlatching first, second, etc.)
Can you take a picture from the side and above (if possible). I am very interested in what may have happened. After looking at the mechanism it is a fairly simply over center latch with a couple torsion springs. Did one of the rivets fail, thereby reducing the over center tension?

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Ca

Can you take a picture from the side and above (if possible). I am very interested in what may have happened. After looking at the mechanism it is a fairly simply over center latch with a couple torsion springs. Did one of the rivets fail, thereby reducing the over center tension?

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg
Thanks for your pics.
Ca

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg
Please see attached. I can't see a difference between yours and mine but I'm not good with this sorta stuff.
20200402_150213.jpg
20200402_150213.jpg
20200402_150231.jpg
20200402_151143.jpg

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I can't see where your's is visibly broken, but you can order the latch separately- it's part number 68391566AA. The latch on my brand new soft top failed on the first attempt to latch it- dealer replaced it under warranty, and then I ordered a spare.

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I can't see where your's is visibly broken, but you can order the latch separately- it's part number 68391566AA. The latch on my brand new soft top failed on the first attempt to latch it- dealer replaced it under warranty, and then I ordered a spare.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it for now

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your pics.

Please see attached. I can't see a difference between yours and mine but I'm not good with this sorta stuff.
20200402_150213.jpg
20200402_150213.jpg
20200402_150231.jpg
20200402_151143.jpg
At first glance I don't see an obvious issue. Nothing seems to be misaligned, which would have explained it. Is there any damage to hook? Do you see anything compared to the other latching mechanism. The other thing is what does the receptacle look like (where the latch interfaces on the body of the Jeep)? Is it damaged?

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Young04 I looked for the problem on mine for awhile. Same symptoms would latch but just did not feel right. Finally when the top was down I found the problem. I have attached the spot of failure. Did you order a replacement? Local dealership wants $111.00 for one sounds steep too me. Again you cant see it unless top is down.

20200624_181324.jpg

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
@Young04 I looked for the problem on mine for awhile. Same symptoms would latch but just did not feel right. Finally when the top was down I found the problem. I have attached the spot of failure. Did you order a replacement? Local dealership wants $111.00 for one sounds steep too me. Again you cant see it unless top is down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top front latch 20200624_181324
Thank you for this and thank you for the high quality pic. I will check mine tonight...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Thank you for this and thank you for the high quality pic. I will check mine tonight...
Mine is fine...good luck with yours.
Sponsored