Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I was in 1st gear. That’ll be your best gear for crawling nice and controlled. 2nd would stall a lot easier. The nice thing about the Rubicon case is you won’t have to be giving it a lot of gas.

Also, I wouldn’t recommended going 5.13’s with the dana 30 front axle. I have the ultimate 44 in the front. 4.88’s will be good with your front dana 30.
Thanks. That’s what I usually do, 1st gear when climbing. I read a few threads talking about 2nd and 3rd gear while in 4Lo and thought maybe I was missing something? I’m slow and try to keep it moving when climbing, but have stalled a few times on rockier parts uphill. I gun it a bit to get over it, but I’m hoping with the defeat there will be more power so I won’t need to do that.
Thanks! and I agree, I’m doing 4.88 with my stock axles. Eventually I wanna get lockers and either truss my front axle (I have D44 in the rear) or upgrade it. So I’ll see how things are going at that time. If I upgraded to 37’s I’d look into adding the rubicon transfer case then.

I appreciate your input. I don’t know any other JL owners with a manual out here.
Sponsored

WelderJay

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have the honor of being first on the waiting list at my local dealer, once parts are available. Not sure if this is a good thing

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. That’s what I usually do, 1st gear when climbing. I read a few threads talking about 2nd and 3rd gear while in 4Lo and thought maybe I was missing something? I’m slow and try to keep it moving when climbing, but have stalled a few times on rockier parts uphill. I gun it a bit to get over it, but I’m hoping with the defeat there will be more power so I won’t need to do that.
Thanks! and I agree, I’m doing 4.88 with my stock axles. Eventually I wanna get lockers and either truss my front axle (I have D44 in the rear) or upgrade it. So I’ll see how things are going at that time. If I upgraded to 37’s I’d look into adding the rubicon transfer case then.

I appreciate your input. I don’t know any other JL owners with a manual out here.
If you can swing it you should consider getting a rear locker when you do the regear. It will save quite a bit on labor since to do the regear you are already in there. A rear locker will add a lot to the vehicles abilities.

This of course assumes you will be doing wheeling that would need this capability.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
There’s a few ‘18-‘19 used JLU’s for sale around me, wonder if the dealerships are going to fix them before selling.
The used vehicles will also be part of the recall ( from 2017 - 2020 ) if they are sitting on dealers lots, I would assume that now that the dealers own them, the dealers will have to do the fix before selling them.

Sponsored

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
That is 100% what i was saying. I agree with you on every word you said. I did buy a 2020 with a manual transmission and it does have a very fragile feel to it. I drove 3 cats prior to this one all with a manual transmission.
i love the jeep but i really wish they would beef up such important components on cars that 95% of the people will be hard on off road and with bigger tires and such... i am really bummed cause my jeep is also affected but it is what it is. Hopefully it will be a different feel afterwards.
I agree. Manual transmissions are not inherently delicate-if they can build them to survive in 100,000 LB semi rigs putting over a million miles on them, they can build one that will stand up to hard use in a Jeep. With most car lines-that is on the few that still offer a manual, manuals are sort of an after-thought, a minority of the vehicles, so they don't seem to put much effort into designing them well anymore.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I just got the notice as well but have had zero problems with my manual with 23k miles on it. I'm honestly a little worried that dealerships and their inconsistent service departments can work on my transmission without messing something else up, especially since most of them couldn't install a steering stabilizer correctly by simply looking at an arrow pointing to which way it should face on the Jeep. God forbid they open up my transmission and start replacing parts.

Well does it say how long the recall will be valid for? If I can trust my dealer with recall jobs then I am buying a horse.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The used vehicles will also be part of the recall ( from 2017 - 2020 ) if they are sitting on dealers lots, I would assume that now that the dealers own them, the dealers will have to do the fix before selling them.
2017 is not part of the recall

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Well does it say how long the recall will be valid for? If I can trust my dealer with recall jobs then I am buying a horse.
Safety recalls never expire, and this one is not a big deal (unless you’re very unlucky, but that’s what insurance is for).

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Stupid question. For those of you with aftermarket armor under the jeep, are you planning to remove it prior to taking it to the dealer for this check, or are you going to let the dealer worry about it?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question. For those of you with aftermarket armor under the jeep, are you planning to remove it prior to taking it to the dealer for this check, or are you going to let the dealer worry about it?
I have the full Metacloak underwear & I plan to remove when the time comes to get the recall work done. Once it's on, you gain a pretty quick familiarity for where everything goes & installation is easier.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Figured i would share the little I have learned after speaking to the dealer Monday. They have two of their own on the list before me, so I will at least get an idea of what is involved in the repair once they know the fix. I've been having an issue with my manual since i purchased it last year where if im running a low rpm, between 1900-2900 and have a load on the engine, i can get the engine/ tach to surge. Tach jumps up and down like its slipping but it catches, then slips again. If you keep your foot in the throttle then it will eventually pick up speed and the rpm will climb into the 3000's and it will stop all together and pull. If i 4 wheel it, perfectly fine, if i pull out and start rowing gears, again fine, all the way up to 6500 without issue. I simple don't drive it like a diesel until i get the fix, the guy at the dealer didn't seem like i was telling him anything new, sounded like he had the same issues. I guess we will see what we get!

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Figured i would share the little I have learned after speaking to the dealer Monday. They have two of their own on the list before me, so I will at least get an idea of what is involved in the repair once they know the fix. I've been having an issue with my manual since i purchased it last year where if im running a low rpm, between 1900-2900 and have a load on the engine, i can get the engine/ tach to surge. Tach jumps up and down like its slipping but it catches, then slips again. If you keep your foot in the throttle then it will eventually pick up speed and the rpm will climb into the 3000's and it will stop all together and pull. If i 4 wheel it, perfectly fine, if i pull out and start rowing gears, again fine, all the way up to 6500 without issue. I simple don't drive it like a diesel until i get the fix, the guy at the dealer didn't seem like i was telling him anything new, sounded like he had the same issues. I guess we will see what we get!
Hey ktmracer21,
That the exact same issue that i am having on my 18 JLUR. i get the same rpm spike up until it gets pass 3000-3500 rpms then it feels like it catches and will be fine. But if i slow down and the rpms drop under 3500, it starts doing the spiking/bouncing rpms. I haven't really noticed it in 1st or 2nd gear but more when i am trying to speed up especially when getting onto the freeway. I took my jeep in the other week to the Dealer and they said that they experienced the same issue at those rpms but they won't touch the clutch until FCA provides the full remedy and repair parts. So for now i am just making sure that I'm not driving it like a sports car and build up speed a little slower. Hopefully the repair parts will be available soon and everything is covered under the recall.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Hey ktmracer21,
That the exact same issue that i am having on my 18 JLUR. i get the same rpm spike up until it gets pass 3000-3500 rpms then it feels like it catches and will be fine. But if i slow down and the rpms drop under 3500, it starts doing the spiking/bouncing rpms. I haven't really noticed it in 1st or 2nd gear but more when i am trying to speed up especially when getting onto the freeway. I took my jeep in the other week to the Dealer and they said that they experienced the same issue at those rpms but they won't touch the clutch until FCA provides the full remedy and repair parts. So for now i am just making sure that I'm not driving it like a sports car and build up speed a little slower. Hopefully the repair parts will be available soon and everything is covered under the recall.
for the longest time I thought I was going nuts. I mentioned it to the original dealer I bought it from when I had the stabilizer recall done “that’s just how the new Jeeps are”. Well, no, it isn’t. I had gears done in it shortly after but that didn’t correct the issue, made it more fun to drive but the issue persisted. Then the recall came out. I have moved and am dealing with a new and smaller dealer that seems to be much better with these things. I’m trying to get some info on how much Jeep will pay if we have an aftermarket clutch put in it. Looking at the centerforce option at $1100 and a few bucks for my friends shop to install. I’d rather go the aftermarket route if it’s even covering half. Until then I’m rowing gears like a drag car

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hey ktmracer21,
for the longest time I thought I was going nuts. I mentioned it to the original dealer I bought it from when I had the stabilizer recall done “that’s just how the new Jeeps are”. Well, no, it isn’t. I had gears done in it shortly after but that didn’t correct the issue, made it more fun to drive but the issue persisted. Then the recall came out. I have moved and am dealing with a new and smaller dealer that seems to be much better with these things. I’m trying to get some info on how much Jeep will pay if we have an aftermarket clutch put in it. Looking at the centerforce option at $1100 and a few bucks for my friends shop to install. I’d rather go the aftermarket route if it’s even covering half. Until then I’m rowing gears like a drag car
Dang, now this whole recall makes some sense to me. I 1000% do not have the issue you guys are describing, which makes me worry I’ll catch fire even less (and I already wasn’t worried, but did pick up an Element extinguisher).

Let’s see what the fix is! The rumored “bleed the air out” and “relocate the wiring harness” remedies seem inadequate for what you guys describe.

On the bright side, I think most of us are driving a lot less. I’ve gone about 10 miles in the last three weeks.
Sponsored